Subject: [EAI] Document and IETF Status

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:31:04 -0400

Hi.

Just to synchronize...

Initial versions of RFC4952bis (Framework) and 5536bis (SMTP
extension) should be posted later today (at least "today" in my
time zone).   Abel has committed to having 5535bis (Headers)
follow on Monday.

If people actually look at these, make specific comments as
appropriate, and stay focused, we should be able to have revised
versions of all three up before the posting deadline and an
agenda for Maastricht that focuses on specific outstanding
issues.  My expectation is to be able to move 4952bis off to WG
Last Call and then to the IESG shortly after Maastricht (already
a few weeks late -- we had planned on being able to hand it off
before or during IETF 78) but I still hope we can converge very
quickly on it.

Note that 4952bis contains a number of questions to the WG about
what is wanted and how it should be organized.  We will need
answers to those questions --ideally consensus answers-- to move
forward (even to a -01 draft).  Silence will probably be taken
as consent to whatever the editors feel like doing (and we may
not tell you in advance).

The situation with the other documents is much less attractive: 

	(1) draft-ietf-eai-mailinglist (a first charter
	leftover) has been waiting for a revised version of the
	draft since April 7.  Randy?  Pete?
	
	(2) We don't have editors clearly signed up for _any_ of
	the other documents listed in the charter.    We would
	like to hear from folks very soon as to whether they are
	willing to continue and to meet on the schedules shown
	in the charter or, if not, how they suggest proceeding.

Everyone should be aware that, no matter how important this work
is, the WG cannot make progress (and probably won't last long)
if there are insufficient resources to complete it in a timely
fashion, 

Finally, for those of you who have seen the preliminary
agenda/schedule for IETF78: Please don't make plans on the
assumption that EAI will remain in the Tuesday morning slot that
is now allocated.  Scheduling is very tight and difficult this
time. As a WG that hasn't been getting a lot of work done, we
are extremely vunerable to cuts in the length of time allotted
and the time at which we are scheduled.  We could easily end up
on Thursday or even on Friday afternoon.   The main mechanism
for avoiding such moves in the future is to be really, visibly,
productive :-(

    john