Subject: [EAI] comment to 4952bis-02

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:44:33 +0900 (JST)

In section 7 second paragraph,
the document states
"  A somewhat more complex situation arises when the first-hop system
   supports these extensions but some subsequent server in the SMTP
   transmission chain does not.  It is important to note that most cases
   of that situation will be the result of configuration errors:".

In my opinion, most case of that situation is that
   a sender want to use his internationalized email address as "From:"
   and 
   a recipient does not support UTF8SMTP and has an ASCII address.

Then, "From: UTF8@UTF8" to "To: ASCII@ASCII" case may happen frequently.

The sender's submission server support UTF8SMTP because he/she uses
non-ASCII address. But the recipient's SMTP server may not support UTF8SMTP.

It is not a configuration error.

--
Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS <[email-masked]>

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:42:08 -0400

--On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 21:44 +0900 [email-masked]
wrote:

> "  A somewhat more complex situation arises when the first-hop
> system    supports these extensions but some subsequent server
> in the SMTP    transmission chain does not.  It is important
> to note that most cases    of that situation will be the
> result of configuration errors:".
> 
>    a sender want to use his internationalized email address as
> "From:"    and 
> The sender's submission server support UTF8SMTP because he/she
> uses non-ASCII address. But the recipient's SMTP server may
> not support UTF8SMTP.
> 

That is correct.  But this is also probably the easiest
situation to detect in the submission systems (originating MUA
and submission server) and correct by substituting an all-ASCII
backward-pointing address.   The originating user is the person
most likely in the world to know what all-ASCII address
corresponds to a non-ASCII address (or if the message should be
abandoned if it cannot be delivered with non-ASCII
backward-pointing addresses).

If you have suggested text for the draft, please send it -- I'm
going to try to get a revised version of 4952bis out later this
week.

    john

---

From: Kazunori Fujiwara <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 02:36:50 +0900 (JST)

> From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>

I re-read the draft.
The submission system related part is written in section 7.1.

I like some text will be added in begining of section 7.1.

My idea is follows:
------------------------------------------------------

Most case that the submission system supports UTF8SMTP and the recipient system
does not support will be that
   a sender want to use his internationalized email address as "From:"
   and 
   a recipient does not support UTF8SMTP and has an ASCII address.

Then, the submission server reports an error for the sender's MUA.

------------------------------------------------------

> going to try to get a revised version of 4952bis out later this

And I want to like a change in section 7.

"A somewhat more complex situation arises when the first-hop system
supports these extensions but some subsequent server in the SMTP
transmission chain does not."

please add a text like this.

  Furthermore, The recipient's domainame's MX resource record may
  point some SMTP servers and some of them support UTF8SMTP and others
  does not UTF8SMTP. Then it may cause iregular error. It is a
  configuration error.

---

From: Kazunori Fujiwara <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 02:46:11 +0900 (JST)

Sorry, I missed to send my editing buffer.

I rewrote text in this mail.

--

I re-read the draft.

My idea is follows:

I withdraw comment for section 7.
Because "most cases" is limited to the server configuration.

--
Kazunori Fujiwara