Subject: [EAI] Protocol Action: 'Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:32:30 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email'
  (draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-12.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Email Address Internationalization
Working Group.

Please note that an earlier revision of this document was already
approved by the IESG for publication as Informational. As a result of
IESG comments during IESG Evaluation of two other EAI documents, the WG
felt that they needed to make changes to this document and change its
status to Standards Track from Informational. It has now been approved
as a Propsed Standard.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis/

Technical Summary

   Full use of electronic mail throughout the world requires that
   (subject to other constraints) people be able to use close
   variations on their own names (written correctly in their own
   languages and scripts) as mailbox names in email addresses.
   This document introduces a series of specifications that define
   mechanisms and protocol extensions needed to fully support
   internationalized email addresses.  These changes include an
   SMTP extension and extension of email header syntax to
   accommodate UTF-8 data.  The document set also includes
   discussion of key assumptions and issues in deploying fully
   internationalized email.  This document is an update of RFC
   4952; it reflects additional issues identified since that
   document was published.

Working Group Summary

   This document was originally targeted as Informational and
   approved by the IESG. However, after the main protocol
   documents went through IESG Evaluation, the WG decided
   that this document required updates to accommodate the
   IESG comments and needed to be put on the Standards
   Track as well.

Document Quality

   This document does not describe any protocols in detail; those
   are in other WG documents.  Ernie Daindow, Tony Hansen,
   Shawn Steele, and Jiankang Yao reviewed the document
   thoroughly and suggested text to improve it. 

   The general protocol collection described in this document
   derives from prior Experimental protocols that were
   implemented and tested.  The results of those experiments,
   focusing on what should be done differently as a result, are
   discussed in this document.  At least those who implemented
   the Experimental protocols, and presumably some others, are
   likely to implement the standards-track protocols as soon as
   they are considered stable.  There appears to be significant
   worldwide demand for the facilities being specified by the
   EAI WG and outlined in this document.

Personnel

   Joseph Yee is the Document Shepherd.
   Pete Resnick is the Responsible Area Director.

The EAI Working Group would like this document released as a set 
with the three documents previously announced (and referenced below). 
We would greatly appreciate that they get consecutive RFC numbers in the
following (non-obvious) order:

draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-12
draft-ietf-eai-rfc5336bis-16
draft-ietf-eai-rfc5335bis-13
draft-ietf-eai-rfc5337bis-dsn-06

The reason that 5336bis should have a lower number than 5335bis is
because the current ordering of 5335 (the international email format
document) and 5336 (the international email transport document) has
caused some amount of confusion because the base specifications are in
the other order: First is RFC 5321 (the email transport document) and
second is 5322 (the email format document). And if it works out, having
the RFC numbers end in 0, 1, 2, and 3 respectively might be salient to
readers.

Thanks for your consideration.