Subject: [imapext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-qresync-rfc4551bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 05:51:33 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IMAP QRESYNC Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IMAP Extension for Conditional STORE Operation or Quick Flag Changes Resynchronization
	Author(s)       : Alexey Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-qresync-rfc4551bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2013-07-01

Abstract:
   Often, multiple IMAP (RFC 3501) clients need to coordinate changes to
   a common IMAP mailbox.  Examples include different clients working on
   behalf of the same user, and multiple users accessing shared
   mailboxes.  These clients need a mechanism to synchronize state
   changes for messages within the mailbox.  They must be able to
   guarantee that only one client can change message state (e.g.,
   message flags) at any time.  An example of such an application is use
   of an IMAP mailbox as a message queue with multiple dequeueing
   clients.

   The Conditional Store facility provides a protected update mechanism
   for message state information that can detect and resolve conflicts
   between multiple writing mail clients.

   The Conditional Store facility also allows a client to quickly
   resynchronize mailbox flag changes.

   This document defines an extension to IMAP (RFC 3501).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-qresync-rfc4551bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-qresync-rfc4551bis-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-qresync-rfc4551bis-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:35:03 +0100

Alexey,

Can you run us through the changes in these two?

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> imapext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imapext
>

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 10:59:46 +0100

> Can you run us through the changes in these two?

Changes to 4551bis:

Added "ENABLE CONDSTORE" to the list of CONDSTORE enabled commands.
([RFC5161] already said that, but I thought it would be a good idea
to clarify this here.)

Clarified that NOMODSEQ/HIGHESTMODSEQ Response Codes need to be returned
on SELECT/EXAMINE whether or not the client issued a CONDSTORE enabling 
command.

Corrected one internal reference I missed in the previous revision.

Clarified that HIGHESTMODSEQ needs to be issued after a CONDSTORE enabling
command, only if there is a mailbox selected. (This is probably obvious,
but I though it wouldn't hurt.)

Changes to 5162bis:

http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-01

Clarified that ENABLE QRESYNC CONDSTORE and ENABLE CONDSTORE QRESYNC are 
equivalent.

Changed the requirement to return VANISHED from SHOULD to MUST as per 
the mailing
list discussion. The only exception is for mailboxes that return NOMODSEQ.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 11:37:12 +0100

On 02/07/2013 10:59, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Clarified that ENABLE QRESYNC CONDSTORE and ENABLE CONDSTORE QRESYNC 
> are equivalent.
>

Except that I didn't make this change everywhere in the document... I 
will post -02 shortly to address this.