Subject: Re: [IMRG] Active measurement infrastructure

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:29:55 -0700

> Which non-I2 measurement infrastructures are still active?
> 
> Both Surveyor and NIMI seem to be either dormant (Surveyor measurement 
> queries seem to end in 2001...) or in some need of maintenance

FYI, NIMI is undergoing a major restructuring (funded by NSF for the next
two years).  It remains active, though currently our priority is on working
on the restructuring rather than maintaining the current infrastructure.

		Vern
_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg

---

From: "Cottrell, Les" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 02:26:17 -0700

IEPM was started out for the High Energy Nuclear Physics community worldwide (IEPM manitoring covers about 72 countries) and as such many of the hosts/sites are on Academic & Research networks (e.g. Abilene, CalREN, ESnet, JaNet, GEANT, INFN, APAN, RostelCom, NASA, ...). Thus it has a rather extensive coverage of the world's Academic & Research networks. A few of the countries with hosts being monitored do not have centralized A&R nets so commercial network are used to access them. Also some specific .com sites (e.g. WestGroup, DNAI, BellSouth) are monitored, mainly as a left over from a joint project of IEPM and the Cross Industry Working Team (XIWT). We also use IEPM to monitor several ISDN and DSL ISP's in the San Francisco Bay Area to be able to assist SLAC's home user population. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2002 8:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IMRG] Active measurement infrastructure

Both Surveyor and NIMI seem to be either dormant (Surveyor measurement 
queries seem to end in 2001...) or in some need of maintenance (I tried 
about a dozen random pairings of hosts and none seemed to have any 
recent data or be alive).

 From the ones at http://www.caida.org/analysis/performance/measinfra/, 
almost all are only regional (such as MAWI) or limited to specific 
research networks (IEPM).

AMP appears to be the most 'alive' of the bigger efforts, but I'm sure 
others have a much better picture of what's really out there.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Henning