Subject: [IMRG] Measurement data and scientific process

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:44:55 -0400

http://www.lucent.com/news_events/researchreview.html is, I believe, of 
some interest to this community, even though the topic of the 
investigation is far removed from networking. The report stresses the 
importance of maintaining primary data and reproducibility:

"At a minimum, Hendrik Schön showed reckless disregard for the
sanctity of data in the value system of science. His failure to retain 
primary data files compounds the problem."

Henning

_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg

---

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:16:07 -0400

Henning-

Thanks for sending the pointer.

> http://www.lucent.com/news_events/researchreview.html is, I
> believe, of some interest to this community, even though the topic
> of the investigation is far removed from networking. The report
> stresses the importance of maintaining primary data and
> reproducibility:
> 
> sanctity of data in the value system of science. His failure to
> retain primary data files compounds the problem."

Alas, it seems to me that this is not likely to happen in the
networking community ... not because some don't fudge experiments,
but because I doubt the rest care enough ... :(

allman

--
Mark Allman -- NASA GRC/BBN -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/
_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg