Subject: [IMRG] Active measurement infrastructure

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:52:14 -0400

Which non-I2 measurement infrastructures are still active?

Both Surveyor and NIMI seem to be either dormant (Surveyor measurement 
queries seem to end in 2001...) or in some need of maintenance (I tried 
about a dozen random pairings of hosts and none seemed to have any 
recent data or be alive).

 From the ones at http://www.caida.org/analysis/performance/measinfra/, 
almost all are only regional (such as MAWI) or limited to specific 
research networks (IEPM).

AMP appears to be the most 'alive' of the bigger efforts, but I'm sure 
others have a much better picture of what's really out there.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Henning

_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg

---

From: Erich Nahum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:12:18 -0400 (EDT)

> Which non-I2 measurement infrastructures are still active?

PlanetLab is now starting up:

	http://www.planet-lab.org

According to the page, Columbia is already participating ;-)

-Erich

-- 
Erich M. Nahum                  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Networking Research             P.O. Box 704
[email-masked]            Yorktown Heights NY 10598
_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:05:26 -0400

> 	http://www.planet-lab.org

Interesting. Not surprisingly, the same set of universities that 
participate in just about every measurement infrastructure. Is there 
anything out there that samples the rest of the Internet, including 
smaller academic institutions, DSL users, web hosts and the like? 
(There's obviously Keynote on the commercial side, but their public data 
is a bit too aggregated to be useful.)

Henning

---

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 2002 15:51:07 +0200

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:52:14 -0400, Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]> said:
> AMP appears to be the most 'alive' of the bigger efforts, but I'm
> sure others have a much better picture of what's really out there.

RIPE TTM is alive and well, there's ongoing development on things like
IPv6 support, and new machines are being deployed (hopefully at a
higher rate than existing machines going unusable :-).

The vast majority of the boxes is in Europe, which shouldn't be too
surprising given that this is a RIPE NCC project.  What's interesting
about this project is that it has quite a bit of participation from
commercial ISPs, although the majority of hosts are on research
networks.

Regards,
-- 
Simon.

---

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:58:57 +0200 (CEST)

> higher rate than existing machines going unusable :-).

Yes, RIPE NCC TTM's service is alive and kicking.  We currently have some
55 hosts taking data all over the world, 10 more either being installed or
repaired, and we are always interested in installing boxes at other sites.
The model we use, is that each participating sites pays for its own
hardware and a service fee for maintenance of the box and further
development by NCC staff.

Our current development plans are:

 - An IPv6 version
 - Adding bandwidth measurements using Constantinos' pathrate and pathload
   tools.
 - Implementation of the reordering metrics under discussion in the IPPM
   WG
 - CDMA based clocks as an alternative to GPS.  If there is a CDMA signal
   in your area (North America, Korea, Australia), CDMA can provide a
   timing signal anywhere your mobile phone works, and will thus make
   installation of a box a lot easier.
 - AS level statistics.

For more, see http://www.ripe.net/test-traffic or contact me privately.

Henk

> commercial ISPs, although the majority of hosts are on research

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)