Subject: [IMRG] ICSI Netalyzr measurement project

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 07:54:08 -0800

Netalyzr is a Java applet you can run by surfing to netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu
(or to netalyzr.com).  It measures a bunch of the properties of an end user's
network access, particularly looking for transparent modifications (e.g.,
hidden proxies or blocking), connectivity restrictions, DNS modifications,
and some security issues (e.g., whether the DNS resolver is vulnerable to
the Kaminsky attack).  You can see a sample report at:

	http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/restore/id=example-session

Netalyzr forms the foundation for a large-scale measurement study of the
Internet's edge.  We did a beta run six months ago, and have subsequently
made a bunch of changes and improvements.  We already found a lot of
interesting behavior such as unexpected proxies ("unexpected" = the network
operators themselves didn't know they were there), DNS manipulation,
significant buffering problems, and the like.

To this end, we would like to get as many users to run the latest version
as possible.  Thus, if you're willing to do so and/or spread the word,
we'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,

- The Netalyzr Crew: Christian, Nick and Vern