Subject: [IMRG] Call for Participation: perfSONAR Network Measurement Infrastructure Workshop

From: Matthew J Zekauskas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:08:34 -0400

Call for Participation

First Workshop on the perfSONAR Network Measurement Infrastructure
July 8 and 9, 2010 in Arlington VA

Sponsored by the Large Scale Networking Coordinating Group, the
National Science Foundation, and the Department of Energy.

http://www.internet2.edu/workshops/perfSONAR/

perfSONAR is an extensible, standards-based network performance
monitoring middleware infrastructure, developed by an international
collaboration.  It not only facilitates the ability to solve
end-to-end performance problems on paths crossing several networks but
also enables network-aware applications. This infrastructure supports
performance data collection and exchange between multiple networks
using well-known protocols and formats. More than 68 entities around
the world, ranging from backbone networks to universities to
government laboratories have deployed perfSONAR.  perfSONAR makes it
relatively easy to take an experimental measurement tool, incorporate
it into perfSONAR, and publish and archive the results of the tool.

The goal of the workshop is use perfSONAR as a focus to
cross-fertilize ideas from the network research community and the
needs of the research and education networks around the world,
covering several topics. The workshop will bring together researchers,
applications developers, network operators, and others with an
interest in network research and network performance monitoring and
measurement.  Researchers will benefit by presenting relevant research
projects, hearing operational and engineering needs, and learning
about the protocols and system as a distribution channel for research
results.  Operators and engineers will benefit through exposure to
research results and by articulating engineering challenges and
research needs, and learning how perfSONAR might meet some of thier
needs.

For more information on perfSONAR, see <http://psps.perfsonar.net/>
(home of the Perl-based effort in the U.S., including links to use
cases) and <http://www.perfsonar.net/> (home of the international
project). A tutorial given at the most recent Asia-Pacific Advanced
Networking meeting is available off the materials page of the workshop
web site, <http://www.internet2.edu/workshops/perfSONAR/>.

The data currently available through perfSONAR tends to be that useful
for end-to-end performance debugging: Link utilization and errors,
Traceroute beacons & looking glasses, Active measurements and active
measurement results (Latency (one-way and round-trip), Loss,
Throughput), and servers to test hosts and last-mile links (NDT and
NPAD).  In addition, Internet2 makes available anonymized Netflow
data, BGP and IGP data, syslog data from our routers, and an
interactive router query.

Potential focus areas include: Research use of perfSONAR (use it for
research, publish research results, perfSONAR tools and services
(publishing new information such as middleware or application logs,
missing pieces, tool limitations or expansion, implications of
increasing link speeds (100G) or hybrid networks), and Operational
issues (increasing routine testing, including internationally;
deployment challenges; use in performance debugging; data sharing
issues).

The workshop is open to all, but is limited to no more than 80 people,
to be selected by an executive committee.  If you are interested in
attending, you are encouraged to read the full Call for Participation
<http://www.internet2.edu/workshops/perfSONAR/cfp.html> and supporting
material, and we would like you to send a few sentences or a paragraph
describing your interest (in plain text or PDF) to
[email-masked] by April 30, 2010.  Please also
indicate if any of the focus areas are particularly interesting; we
will use the results to craft breakout sessions during the workshop.