Subject: [Insipid] Reaching consensus on the requirements draft

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 01:55:18 -0400

Folks,

We need to reach consensus on the requirements.  We've not had a lot of
discussion on the list and I'd prefer to air issues before Atlanta.  Below
is the current list of requirements:

REQ1: It must be possible for an administrator or an external device which
monitors the SIP-traffic to use the identifier to identify those dialogs,
transactions and messages which were at some point in time components of a
single end-to-end SIP session (e.g., parts of the same call).

REQ2: It must be possible to correlate two end-to-end sessions when a
session is transferred or if two different sessions are joined together via
an intermediary (e.g., a PBX).  This might result in a change in the value
of the end-to-end Session Identifier.

Sal suggested changing the last sentence to read:
   "This must be possible regardless of any eventual change
    in the value of the end-to-end Session-Identifier"

REQ4: It must be possible to pass the identifier unchanged through SIP
B2BUAs or other intermediaries.

REQ5: The identifier must not reveal any information related to any SIP
user, device or domain identity.  This includes any IP Address, port,
hostname, domain name, username, Address-of-Record, MAC address, IP address
family, transport type, subscriber ID, Call-ID, tags, or other SIP header or
body parts.

REQ7: It must be possible to identity SIP traffic with an end-to-end session
identifier from and to end devices that do not support this new identifier,
such as by allowing an intermediary to inject an identifier into the session
signaling.

REQ8: The identifier should be unique in time and space, similar to the
Call-ID.

REQ9a: The identifier should be constructed in such a way as to make it
suitable for transmission in SIP and H.323.

REQ9c: The identifier should be constructed in such a way as to make it
suitable for transmission in SIP and RTCP.

REQ10: It must be possible to correlate two end-to-end sessions when the
sessions are created by a third party controller using 3PCC procedures shown
in Figure 1 of RFC 3725.

In an effort to help move things along, please raise any concerns with the
wording of these or any requirement in general.

Also, have a look over the current draft and provide any feedback you have.
It is:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-reqts-02

Paul