Subject: [Insipid] What session is the session ID for?

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 19:53:15 -0400

On the call the other day somebody (Keith?) was commenting that some use 
case was out of scope because the association between the "legs" was at 
the "application level".

I would like to assert that any time we are talking about an entity that 
involves multiple dialogs connected by a B2BUA then we are talking about 
a construct that has been established at a level above SIP - what we 
call the "application level"

For instance this is so when we have a PBX B2BUA that creates two call 
"legs" and associates them into one call. And it also happens when an 
SBC associates an incoming dialog with an outgoing dialog.

What we *ought* to do is actually create a framework/architecture for 
such constructs built from multiple SIP dialogs, with proper 
terminology, definitions, etc. Then we would have a basis for defining 
things like this "session id".

STRAW is also working in this space, and is a little closer to making 
such definitions, though it is still pretty fluffy.

Such an activity is perhaps outside the current scope and aspirations of 
either INSIPID or STRAW. The question is whether those WGs can be 
successful without such work.

	Thanks,
	Paul