Subject: [Insipid] RFC 8123 on Requirements for Marking SIP Messages to be Logged

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:56:46 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8123

        Title:      Requirements for Marking SIP Messages 
                    to be Logged 
        Author:     P. Dawes, 
                    C. Arunachalam
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 22368
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8123

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8123

SIP networks use signaling monitoring tools to debug customer-
reported problems and for regression testing if network or client
software is upgraded.  As networks grow and become interconnected,
including connection via transit networks, it becomes impractical to
predict the path that SIP signaling will take between clients and,
therefore, impractical to monitor SIP signaling end-to-end.

This document describes the requirements for adding an indicator to
the SIP Protocol Data Unit (PDU) or a SIP message that marks the PDU
as a candidate for logging.  Such a marking will typically be applied
as part of network testing controlled by the network operator and not
used in regular client signaling.  However, such a marking can be
carried end-to-end, including the SIP terminals, even if a session
originates and terminates in different networks.

This document is a product of the INtermediary-safe SIP session ID Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC