Subject: [Int-area] How to be a Member of IETF?

From: *bahareh NTC* <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 04:34:50 -0800 (PST)

Hello Dear there,
  I am Bahareh , new PhD student of computer sciences in field of networking (internet,Ipv6, QOS).
  Would you please let me know how can I join to th IETF working group or be as a member of this community for getting better overview of new thechnologies & standards (except of joining to the mailing list).
   
  please suggest me which sub-group is more related to my field of sttudy (OSI,Internet standards/ QOS for Ipv6)?
   
   I hope I could join to this group ASAP.
   
  Best regards
  Bahareh

---------------------------------
Never miss a thing.   Make Yahoo your homepage.

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:25:41 +0200

Bahareh,

> Would you please let me know how can I join to th IETF working group
> or be as a member of this community for getting better overview of new
> thechnologies & standards (except of joining to the mailing list).
>  
> please suggest me which sub-group is more related to my field of
> sttudy (OSI,Internet standards/ QOS for Ipv6)?

You should start by reading the "Tao of the IETF" at
http://www.ietf.org/tao.html. One of the first things you'll notice is
that the IETF has no formal membership. The IETF work happens mainly in
Working Groups, listed at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/wg-dir.html.
Each WG description page includes subscription instructions to their
specific mailing lists, most of the discussion happens over e-mail.
Participation in the list is open. We also have meetings three times a
year, next ones are in Philadelphia and Dublin. You can find out more
information from http://www.ietf.org, and you can register for meetings,
etc.

Jari