Subject: [Int-area] New NAT66 Discussion List

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:02:29 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I am sending this message to several large groups of people with  
considerable overlap in an effort to reach everyone who has been  
participating (actively or passively) in the NAT66 discussions.   
PLEASE, PLEASE do not reply to this full list.  Send any replies to  
the new nat66 discussion list (cc:ed) or to me privately.

In response to concerns that have been raised about discussing IPv6-to- 
IPv6 NAT on the behave WG mailing list, we have started a new mailing  
list for the ongoing NAT66 discussion, [email-masked].  The purpose of  
this list is to discuss the needs that may drive the adoption of IPv6- 
to-IPv6 NAT, and to discuss solutions to meet those needs, possibly  
including specification of an IPv6 NAT mechanism, that will work  
better and be less harmful to the Internet than direct ports of IPv4  
NA(P)T functionality. Although we will see how the conversation  
evolves in the upcoming weeks, our current expectation is that we will  
hold a BOF at IETF 74 in San Francisco to discuss this topic and to  
determine if there is consensus that the IETF should pursue any work  
in this area.

It is not our intention that this new list will be used for discuss of  
IPv4/IPv6 transition mechanisms, even those that involve translation.   
Discussion of the v4v6translation work will remain in the behave WG,  
where it is a chartered work item.

If you would like to join the nat66 mailing list list or read the list  
archives, you can do so via the following URL:

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nat66

If you would like to actively contribute to the discussion, I would  
suggest that you start by reading the following documents:

- RFC 4864:  Local Network Protection for IPv6
   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4864.txt?number=4864

- Renumbering still needs work
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-renum-needs-work-00.txt

- IPv6-to-IPv6 Network Address Translation (NAT66) -- now somewhat out- 
of-date
   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4864.txt?number=4864

- IETF 73 behave WG Presentation on NAT66 -- more up-to-date
   http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/slides/behave-14.pdf

Then, come join the discussion on the [email-masked] mailing list.

Margaret

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area