Subject: [Int-area] BCP 168, RFC 6398 on IP Router Alert Considerations and Usage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:53:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 168        
        RFC 6398

        Title:      IP Router Alert Considerations and 
                    Usage 
        Author:     F. Le Faucheur, Ed.
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 44914
        Updates:    RFC2113, RFC2711
        See Also:   BCP0168

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intarea-router-alert-considerations-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6398.txt

The IP Router Alert Option is an IP option that alerts transit
routers to more closely examine the contents of an IP packet.  The
Resource reSerVation Protocol (RSVP), Pragmatic General Multicast
(PGM), the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP), Multicast
Listener Discovery (MLD), Multicast Router Discovery (MRD), and
General Internet Signaling Transport (GIST) are some of the protocols
that make use of the IP Router Alert Option.  This document discusses
security aspects and usage guidelines around the use of the current
IP Router Alert Option, thereby updating RFC 2113 and RFC 2711.
Specifically, it provides recommendations against using the Router
Alert in the end-to-end open Internet and identifies controlled
environments where protocols depending on Router Alert can be used
safely.  It also provides recommendations about protection approaches
for service providers.  Finally, it provides brief guidelines for
Router Alert implementation on routers.  This memo documents an Internet 
Best Current Practice.

This document is a product of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC