Subject: [Int-area] draft-kelsey-intarea-mesh-link-establishment

From: Richard Kelsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:08:53 -0400

Hello,

I have submitted a draft for a protocol (MLE) for configuring
links in ad hoc mesh networks.  This protocol is a bit of an
orphan, as it falls somewhere above most link layer standards,
which are concerned with single links, but below network
standards that assume the links are already up and running.
Ralph Droms suggested submitting it to the Intarea WG in order
to get a more thorough review than it would receive as an
individual submission.

MLE is in use as part of the developing ZigBee IP standard and
there are several interoperating implementations.

I welcome any comments or suggestions.

                            -Richard Kelsey

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Reply-to: [email-masked] 
Subject: I-D Action: draft-kelsey-intarea-mesh-link-establishment-00.txt 
X-RSN: 1/0/935/39077/42460 
 
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. 
 
Title : Mesh Link Establishment 
Author(s) : Richard Kelsey 
Filename : draft-kelsey-intarea-mesh-link-establishment-00.txt 
Pages : 20 
Date : 2011-09-29 
 
This document defines the mesh link establishment (MLE) protocol for 
establishing and configuring links in an ad hoc mesh radio network. 
Effective mesh networking using radio links requires identifying, 
configuring, and securing usable links to neighboring devices. In an 
ad hoc mesh network a device's neighbors may come and go as the 
network's membership and physical environment change. Newly usable 
links need to be identified and configured automatically, where 
configuration values can include link-layer addresses, transmit and 
receive modes, security parameters, and so forth. MLE includes the 
option of securing the configuration messages themselves, as link- 
layer security may not be available prior to configuration. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kelsey-intarea-mesh-link-establishment-00.txt 
 
Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at: 
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/ 
 
This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at: 
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kelsey-intarea-mesh-link-establishment-00.txt 
_______________________________________________ 
I-D-Announce mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce 
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt