Subject: [Int-area] NAT reveal analysis IETF Last Call comments

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:55:46 -0400

Hi all,
  These comments were received on the IETF discussion list during the
IETF last call.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg77707.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg77273.html

Thanks
Suresh

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis-05.txt>
(Analysis of Solution Candidates to Reveal a Host Identifier (HOST_ID)
in Shared Address Deployments) to Informational RFC
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:33:07 -0800
From: SM <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>

At 11:06 22-02-2013, The IESG wrote:
>The IESG has received a request from the Internet Area Working Group WG
>(intarea) to consider the following document:
>- 'Analysis of Solution Candidates to Reveal a Host Identifier (HOST_ID)
>    in Shared Address Deployments'
>   <draft-ietf-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis-05.txt> as Informational RFC
>
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
>[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-03-08. Exceptionally, comments may be

My comments should not be read as a statement of support. :-)

In Section 1:

  "Section 3 discusses privacy issues common to all HOST_ID solutions.
   It is out of scope of this document to elaborate on privacy issues
   specific to each solution."

I suggest explaining what "HOST_ID" is.

In Section 2:

  "HOST_ID does not reveal the identity of a user, a subscriber or an
   application."

I suggest adding an explanation for that statement.

In Section 4.4.1:

  "For HTTP, Forwarded header ([I-D.ietf-appsawg-http-forwarded]) can be
   used to display the original IP address when an address sharing
   device is involved."

A HTTP proxy is not an address sharing device in my opinion.

  "The address sharing device has to strip all included Forwarded
   headers before injecting their own."

In Section 4.4.2:

 "Injecting Forwarded header also introduces some implementation
  complexity if the HTTP packet is at or close to the MTU size."

What is a HTTP packet?

Regards,
-sm

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:33:39 +0100

Hi Suresh, all,

A new version incorporating the requested changes is online:

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis-06

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med 

>-----Message d'origine-----
>De : [email-masked] 
>[mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Suresh Krishnan
>Envoyé : dimanche 10 mars 2013 18:56
>À : Internet Area
>Objet : [Int-area] NAT reveal analysis IETF Last Call comments
>
>Hi all,

Med: As HOST_ID is introduced in Section 2, the new text is now:

   Section 3 discusses privacy issues common to all candidate solutions.
   It is out of scope of this document to elaborate on privacy issues
   specific to each solution.

>I suggest adding an explanation for that statement.

Med: The new text is:

   HOST_ID is not designed to reveal the identity of a user, a
   subscriber, or an application.  HOST_ID is designed to identify a
   host under a shared IP address.

>
>In Section 4.4.1:
>
>  "For HTTP, Forwarded header 
>([I-D.ietf-appsawg-http-forwarded]) can be

Med: The document does not say an http proxy is an address sharing device. Section 4 analyzes the scenario where the address sharing function is able to inject such header.

Section 2 says:

   Within this document, we assume the address-sharing function injects
   the HOST_ID. 

>  complexity if the HTTP packet is at or close to the MTU size."

Med: Changed to HTTP message. 

>
>Regards,
>-sm
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Int-area mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area
>