Subject: [Int-area] "Soft" Packet Too Bigs (PTBs)

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:27:23 +0000

Hi Joe,

I decided to revive the draft on sending soft PTBs (see below). The diffs show that
there were some minimal but important changes from the previous version.

Like what is in both the GRE and AERO drafts, this is only part of the bigger picture ;
multiple components need to come together to complete the big picture.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

---
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 Path MTU Interactions With Link Adaptation
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-6man-linkadapt-02.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2015-02-27

Abstract:
   IPv6 intentionally deprecates fragmentation by routers in the
   network.  Instead, links with restricting Maximum Transmission Units
   (MTUs) must either drop each too-large packet and return an ICMPv6
   Packet Too Big (PTB) message or perform link-specific fragmentation
   and reassembly (also known as "link adaptation") at a layer below
   IPv6.  This latter category of links is often performance-challenged
   to accommodate steady-state link adaptation.  This document therefore
   proposes an update to the base IPv6 specification to better
   accommodate links that require link-specific adaptation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-6man-linkadapt/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-6man-linkadapt-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-templin-6man-linkadapt-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/