Subject: (ION) RFC 1483 draft update comment

From: "Albert Manfredi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:10:23 -0400

As usual, these things are discovered after the deadline.

On draft-ietf-ion-multiprotocol-atm-02.txt, I have a comment and a
question:

1. In Appendix D, item (3), it states that in LAN emulation, VC
multiplexing with LLC encapsulation is used, among other cases, for
Multicast Send and Multicast Forward VCCs. But LANE v2.0 states
unequivocally that Multicast Send VCCs must be non-multiplexed
(Section 2.3.5.2). Upon re-reading, it does not state explicitly
that Multicast Forward VCCs must be non-multiplexed, but that was
how I had remembered it. It always puzzled me why this
non-multiplexed VCC is stipulated for multicasting. The only reason
I can come up with is that the VCC is deliberately set up ahead of
time by the client, so there's no need to use LLC encapsulation.
Only LANE frames can arrive over this VCC.

2. I assume that the MAC address is formatted in canonical form for
IEEE 802.3 emulation, but in 802.5/FDDI format for IEEE 802.5
emulation (i.e. with the I/G bit in the MSbit position, since that's
the first bit out of the box for 802.5)?

Thanks.

Bert
[email-masked]

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.