Subject: (ION) Optical routing

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:14:01 -0400

Hi IONers. Anyone still out there?

Just for grins, did anyone see the articles in this month's IEEE
Communications Magazine, about IP over optical networks? It's the same old
issues all over again. Basically, you have IP over a circuit-switched
network again. They do offer different approaches, including having the
optical network also use IP addressing (in this respect, unlike IP over
ATM), but the end result still looks very much like IP over ATM or IP
directly over SONET.

Aren't you glad ION went through all those hurdles before? Perhaps we should
add optical nets to the charter and reactivate ION. Makes sense to me.
Optical nets are still non-broadcast nets, after all.

Regards

Bert
[email-masked]
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Shawn Veillon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:02:47 -0700

Well, I think more focus should be placed on implementing multicast across
the Internet.  Faster and wider is great, but more efficient is smarter.
Don't you think?  I know that won't solve everything, as there will still be
tons of downloading of files going on, but if the trend continues in the
arena of media casting, along with the move to wider use of broadband in the
home, we can expect THAT to become the majority usage.  Multicasting should
help curb that.  It's closer than an optical packet switch.

We should do both, for sure.

Shawn Veillon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Manfredi, Albert E
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 7:14 AM
To: ION Group (E-mail)
Subject: (ION) Optical routing

Regards

Bert