Subject: some fields of ARP_REQUEST and ARP_RESPONSE packets

From: BHAVESH R PATHAK <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:19:56 -0530

Dear everyone,
I will like to get clarification regarding following fields of ARP
packets.

field name             value in ARP_REQUEST        value in ARP_RESPONSE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
target_unicast_FIFO_*  NOT SPECIFIED               copy value received
                                                   in the sender_unicast_FIFO_*
                                                   field of ARP_REQUEST packet

target_max_rec         NOT SPECIFIED               copy value received
                                                   in the max_rec field
                                                   of ARP_REQUEST packet

tspd                   NOT SPECIFIED              copy value received
                                                  in the sspd field
                                                  of ARP_REQUEST packet

I believe that, above information should be always available
(may be derivable) in the ARP_REQUESTer node.

Regarding above three fields my doubt is, "how does copying of the
information received in the ARP_REQUEST packet into the ARP_RESPONSE
packet helps?"

with regards,
bhavesh

---

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:53:23 -0800

Bhavesh,

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. However, you are
referencing fields that will not exist in the ARP packet in
the next draft version of the spec.

Find the ID named draft-johansson-ip1394-asynch-streams-00.txt
at www.ietf.org to see the complete text.

In the current format of ARP, there is no target info other than
the IP address. Here is the latest ARP format.
                             1                   2                   3
          0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
         +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
         |    hardware_type (0x0018)     |    protocol_type (0x0800)     |
         +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
         |  hw_addr_len  |  IP_addr_len  |            opcode             |
         +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
         |                                                               |
         +---                     sender_unique_ID                    ---+
         |                                                               |
         +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
         | sender_max_rec|      sspd     |     sender_unicast_FIFO_hi    |
         +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
         |                      sender_unicast_FIFO_lo                   |
         +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
         |                        sender_IP_address                      |
         +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
         |                        target_IP_address                      |
         +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                       Figure 5 - ARP request/response format

In your below message the following fields no longer exist:
target_unicast_FIFO_*
target_max_rec
tspd

-myron

-----Original Message-----
From: BHAVESH R PATHAK [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 9:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: some fields of ARP_REQUEST and ARP_RESPONSE packets

Dear everyone,

with regards,
bhavesh