Subject: OUI specific value in GASP header

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:29:19 -0800

There has not been a lot of discussion on this point.
So far Kenji suggested the OUI specific field in the
GASP for Ip/1394 packets be reserved. I agree with this
idea.

Are there any opposing opinions?

Thanks,

-myron

---

From: Kenji Fujisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:32:43 +0900

>GASP for Ip/1394 packets be reserved. I agree with this

In general, there are two types of fields which are not used
by the current specification.

a) 'reserved'
   Future extention may use this field keeping upward compatibility.
   The recipient SHALL NOT check its value.

b) 'zero'
   Future (or other) specification will define another value.
   The recipient SHALL check its value.

I think that 'OUI specific field' in the GASP falls on the category b).
So I think it should be defined as 'zero' for this specification.

Best Regards,

Kenji Fujisawa

=========================================================================
Date:         Thu, 24 Dec 1998 22:21:13 +0900
Sender:       IETF IP over 1394 Working Group <[email-masked]>
From:         Kenji Fujisawa <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Re: GASP Header proposed values

Kenji Fujisawa wrote:
> >I lean toward just calling the field reserved. This is option C.
> I agree with this.

By definition, a recipient of a RESERVED field will not check its
value. So I changed my mind. I choose option D.

D) Must be zero.

Regards,

Kenji Fujisawa
=========================================================================