Subject: A 1394 networking confiuration ROM proposal

From: Joseph Joy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:08:45 -0800

Greetings.

Attached is a proposed layout for a single unit directory for devices which
support networking over IEEE1394. "Support for networking" includes, but is
not restricted to, IP/1394.
Following are the key features of the proposal, which differ from other
proposals on the table:
1. A single unit directory to represent the network capability of the
IEEE1394 node. This single unit directory is not specific to IPv4/1394,
although it may optionally contain one or more immediate or leaf entries
representing one or more protocols that may be implemented on the node.
Conceptually, this single unit directory represents a "network adapter",
while the individual entries represent the s/w protocols that bind to this
adapter.
2. The Unit_Sw_Version should be a number allocated by the IANA to represent
"networking over 1394." This number should not be specific to a particular
protocol (consequence of 1 above). This number should (obviously) be unique
with respect to all potential Unit_Sw_Version IDs administered by the IANA,
because the combination of Unit_Spec_ID and Unit_Sw_Version must be globally
unique.

Please review the document and send any comments to the ip/1394 mailing
list.

Thanks,

Joseph.

Joseph M. Joy
Microsoft Corp.