Subject: Status of next steps

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:10:30 -0800

Happy return from the holidays. I hope everyone is rested and caught-up
on their emial.

It's a few days past January 7th, so it appears we have WG consensus
to follow the below next steps. Here is my understanding of the status
of the next steps.

1) Broadcast channel:
I talked to Peter J. on the phone. Peter is the editor of the IP/1394
spec and the p1394.a spec. He will provide IP/1394 WG with the necessary
p1394.a text in the next few weeks. This step is no track for completion in
or before February.

2) GASP header:
GASP header text will also be in the p1394.a according to
Peter. Text should also be forthcoming to the ip/1394 WG.

3) ARP, MCAP, and signature:
ARP follows the draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-johansson-ip1394-asynch-streams-00
.txt

MCAP follows the format of
                     1                   2                   3
 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|             length            |    reserved   |     opcode    |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Signature either remains the same as draft version 12 or is reserved
as Kenji suggests. We need further discussion on this point.

4) IP/1394 Unit directory:
Use IANA OUI for Spec Unit ID. Value is 0x00005E. Everyone agrees with
this.

Use concatenation of EtherType and ARP Hardware Type
for Unit_Sw_version. EtherType identifes either IPv4
or IPv6, the 1394 hardware Type (0x18) provides further
identification to the specs we are producing. Kenji
thought the EtherType was enough.

Do people have additional thoughts about what this unit
directory should look like?

------------------------------------------------------
To summarize we need closure on signature, Unit_Sw_Version, and
additional things in unit directory.

-myron