Subject: RE: docsIfCmtsCmStatusIndex

From: Kirk Friedman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:33:56 -0800

Guenter and the other group members will correct me if I am wrong.  The
intent as I understand it is to provide the SNMP manager with an unchanging
index for a given CM.  So, once the manager has located the CM, it does not
have to do a complete table search (comparing CM ethernet address for
example) to find that CM again.  You'll also note that the
docsIfCmtsServiceTable also may reference the docsIfCmtsCmStatusIndex.  So
it's also useful that the index doesn't change relative to other table updates.

At 09:38 AM 3/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>That brings up some other questions.  
>
>1.  If the CM in no longer attached to a CMTS, how long does the CMTS
>maintain the CMs record?  

The CMTS SHOULD keep the CMs record until the CMTS is rebooted.

>2.  If a CM disconnects for a time and then reconnects, will the CMTS use
>the same index number for that CM?  Providing the CMTS hasn't been reset and
>the entry still exists in the table, it could.  The initialization routines
>would be easier if it didn't care if an entry existed.

Yes, the same index should be used.  The reason is for CMTS management's
convenience, not the CMTS itself.

>3.  How many CMs would a CMTS have to maintain?  All the active CMs, plus
>how many inactive CMs?
>

This is a vendor specific issue.

>Thanks for the help,
>Jansen
Kirk Friedman
TurboNet Communications
15932 Bernardo Ctr Drive
San Diego, CA., 92127
Tel:   619-451-1061 x105
Fax:   619-451-1775
email: [email-masked]