Subject: [ipcdn] [PKT-EVE-MIB] Draft 04 (Summary Of Changes)

From: "Sumanth Channabasappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:10:47 -0700

Folks,

Reference: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-04.txt

Please find enclosed a summary of changes incorporated into the recently
submitted D04 submission. 

regards

Sumanth

Summary:

--------------

The last submission of the draft (draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-03.txt
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-03.t
xt> ) was submitted in Feb, 2004 and the Management Event MIB has
undergone various changes within PacketCable over the last year, which
has been released as part of the PacketCable 1.5 Specifications. This
draft aligns itself with those changes and the following technical and
editorial additions:

Note: This summary does not document the changes made as part of the
PacketCable efforts - but only additional changes; please contact me if
you need details or references to the PacketCable documents and changes.

Technical Changes:

-----------------

Change Set #1/2:

------------

- The MAX-ACCESS clause for pktcDevEventDescrEnterprise  and
pktcDevEvLogIndex were changed to 'not-accessible'.

- pktcDevEvLogIndex was removed from the notifications due to the above
change.

Change Set #2/2:

-----------

To allow for vendors who like to define 'Event Classes' (DHCP, SNMP, NCS
etc), the following table was introduced:

pktcDevEventClassReportTable OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF PktcDevEventClassReportEntry

    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

            "This MIB table contains all the event classes

             and the reporting status information."

    ::= { pktcDevEventControl 6 }

pktcDevEventClassReportEntry OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      PktcDevEventClassReportEntry

    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

            "An entry in this table MUST be created for each 

             event class defined by a vendor for the events

             described as part of 'pktcDevEventDescrTable'.

             By definition of the MIB Object 

             'pktcDevEventDescrClass', an entry MUST be 

             created for the event class 'generic'."

    INDEX { pktcDevEventClass }

    ::= { pktcDevEventClassReportTable 1 }

PktcDevEventClassReportEntry::= SEQUENCE {

    pktcDevEventClass                SnmpAdminString,

    pktcDevEventReportStatus         TruthValue,

    pktcDevEventClassReportLevel     BITS

    }  

pktcDevEventClass OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString (SIZE (1..10))

    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

        "This MIB Object contains the identifier 

         of an event class supported by the device."

    ::= { pktcDevEventClassReportEntry 1 }

pktcDevEventReportStatus OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      TruthValue

    MAX-ACCESS  read-write

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

        "This MIB Object indicates if events belonging

         to a particular event class are to be enabled

         or disabled for reporting. 

         Setting this object to a value of 'true' enables

         reporting as per the MIB Object 

         'pktcDevEventDescrReporting'.

         Setting this object to a value of 'false' disables

         any reporting, irrespective of the value of the

         MIB Object 'pktcDevEventDescrReporting'.

         The default value of this MIB Object is vendor

         specific. However, the vendor SHOULD enable all

         event categories defined by PacketCable by 

         default. "

    ::= { pktcDevEventClassReportEntry 2 }

pktcDevEventClassReportLevel OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      BITS {

                emergency(0),

                alert(1),

                critical(2),  

                error(3),  

                warning(4),  

                notice(5),

                info(6),

                debug(7) 

                }

    MAX-ACCESS  read-write

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

            "This MIB Object defines the  reporting levels

             of events for the corresponding event class,

             that need to be included for reporting.

             This MIB Object has no effect unless the 

             'pktcDevEventReportStatus' is set to a value

             of 'true', for the corresponding event class. 

             Setting a bit to a value of '1' implies that 

             events corresponding to that level MUST be 

             reported as defined by the corresponding

             value of 'pktcDevEventDescrReporting'.

             Setting a bit to a value of '0' implies that 

             events corresponding to that level MUST NOT be 

             reported, irrespective of the corresponding

             value of 'pktcDevEventDescrReporting'.

             It is recommended that the bits corresponding

             to emergency(0), alert(1), critical(2) and error(3)

             always be set to a value of '1'. "

    ::= { pktcDevEventClassReportEntry 3 }

Two other related MIB Objects were added:

----------------------------------------

pktcDevEventDescrClass to the 'Event Description Table'

pktcDevEventDescrClass OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString(SIZE (1..10))

    MAX-ACCESS  read-write

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

            "This MIB Object represents an  event class

             associated with the corresponding event. 

             Vendors MAY choose to define different event 

             classes (e.g. DHCP, SNMP, DEBUG) to 

             group together related events. Vendors SHOULD 

             use standard protocol acronyms for well known 

             protocols. However, separating packetcable 

             defined from vendor-specific events for the

             same protocol is recommended (e.g DHCP and 

             V-DHCP for the DHCP protocol).

             If vendors choose not to define event classes,

             then the value of this MIB Object MUST be set 

             to 'generic'."

    ::= { pktcDevEventDescrEntry 7 }

'pktcDevEvReportingLevel' to the 'Event Control Table'

------------------------------------------------------

pktcDevEvReportingLevel OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      BITS {

                emergency(0),

                alert(1),

                critical(2),  

                error(3),  

                warning(4),  

                notice(5),

                info(6),

                debug(7) 

                }

    MAX-ACCESS  read-write

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

            "This MIB Object can be used to collectively

             turn on/off event levels for all enabled 

             event classes as described in the MIB table

             'pktcDevEventClassReportTable'.

             The value of a 'reporting level bit' set 

             through this MIB Object results in the  

             corresponding bit in the MIB Object 

             'pktcDevEventClassReportLevel' set to the 

             same value, for all event classes that

             are enabled for reporting 

             ('pktcDevEventReportStatus' set to a value 

             of 'true').

             It is  recommended that the bits corresponding

             to emergency(0), alert(1), critical(2) 

             and error(3) always be set to a value of '1'. "

    ::= { pktcDevEventControl 5 }

Note: No entries were made to the Log Table since the 'AdditionalInfo'
entry can be used to denote the 'event class'.

Editorial changes:

-----------------

Updated Abstract 

Added 'Introduction' 

Changed Glossary to 'Terminology' and removed terms that are not
referenced

Updated 'Overview'  

Updated references (PC 1.5, ITU) 

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn