Subject: [ipcdn] [pkt-sig-mib] Comments/Resolutions on draft 07

From: "Sumanth Channabasappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:18:18 -0700

Folks,

Reference: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-07.txt

Please find enclosed a summary of the comments and the proposed
resolutions since draft 07. We plan to prepare a new draft proposal
(draft-08) based on the following comments/proposed resolutions by
Thursday, Feb 14, 2005. 

Please let me know if I missed any comments or if you have objections or
alternate proposals.

regards
Sumanth

Last submission:  
---------------
Draft - 07
(ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-07.t
xt)

Summary of changes since D06: 
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01423.html (Oct
28, 2004)

Next planned submission:
-----------------------
Feb 14, 2005 (Thu)

Comments received so far on D07 (Summary + resolutions):
-------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT SET #1/6:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- [Randy: Oct 29, 2004] - *CLOSED*
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01428.html

  Email Subject: Re: [ipcdn] Submission: IETF NCS Signaling MIB 
                 draft 7 (Update)
 
  Issue: Clarification regarding 'pktcNcsEndPntConfigPartialDialTO' and
' pktcNcsEndPntConfigCriticalDialTO'.

  RESOLUTION: Looks like the 'maximum' was unintended. Good catch! 
              Thanks Randy!

  Changed MIB Objects as follows:

      pktcNcsEndPntConfigPartialDialTO     OBJECT-TYPE  
       <...> 
       DESCRIPTION  
           "This object contains the value of the partial dial 
                    ^^^^^ (rephrased "maximum value") ^^^^
            time out." 
       <...>
       ::= { pktcNcsEndPntConfigEntry 3 }  

      pktcNcsEndPntConfigCriticalDialTO     OBJECT-TYPE  
      <...>
      DESCRIPTION  
           "This object contains the value of the critical 
                   ^^^^^ (rephrased "maximum value") ^^^^
            dial time out." 
      <...>
      ::= { pktcNcsEndPntConfigEntry 4 }  

----------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT SET #2/6:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
+ [Satish: Nov 16, 2004] - *CLOSED*
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01439.html

  Email Subject: pktcRingCadence explanation changed from 
                 sig-draft-5 to sig-draft-7

  Issue: Suggestion to revert to the earlier description of 
        'PktcRingCadence' w.r.t repeatability.

  RESOLUTION: 

  - [Sumanth, Nov 17, 2004]
    http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01440.html

  - [Gordon, Nov 17, 2004]
    http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01441.html

ACTION: Comment Accepted.

   PktcRingCadence   ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION 
            <...> 
       DESCRIPTION 
            <...> 
   
            The third of the reserved octets indicates 'repeatability'  
            and MUST be either 0x80 or 0x00 - the former value  
            indicating 'non-repeatability' and the latter indicating 
                 ^^^(used to be 'repeatability')^^^
            'repeatability'. 
   ^^^(used to be 'non-repeatability')^^^
            <...> 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT SET #3/6:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- [Eugene: Dec 8, 2004] - *SEE INDIVIDUAL RESOLUTIONS*
   http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01453.html

   Email Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-signaling-07.txt
   Issues: Numerous 

   RESOLUTION: 
      #1 *Accepted*: pktcCodecType -> 
          Change Description to reflect LCO instead of LCD.

      PktcCodecType ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION  
      <...>

      DESCRIPTION
      <...>
             The literal codec name is the second column of the table 
             with codec RTP Map Parameters. Literal Codec Name Column 
             contains the codec name used in the local connection 
             options(LCO) of the NCS messages create connection 
             ^^(Used to be 'Local connection descriptor(LCD))^^^
       <...>

      #2-I *No Change*: 
      Only the bits mentioned within the length depicted by the length
      field (first two octets) hold good for the cadence, the rest do
      not affect the cadence and the hence, the note prevents someone 
      from encoding more octets than as required by the length field.

      #2-II *Already addressed*: See COMMENT SET #2/6

      #3: *Pending WG Consensus* 

      Propose to change 'pktcNcsEndPntConfigTSMax' as shown below:

      pktcNcsEndPntConfigTSMax
      <...>
      DESCRIPTION
      " This MIB object is used as part of an NCS 
      retransmission algorithm. Prior to any retransmission, 
      the MTA must check to make sure that the time elapsed 
      since the sending of the initial datagram does not exceed 
      the value specified by this MIB Object. If more than 
      Tsmax time has elapsed, then the retransmissions MUST 
      cease.

      Refer to the MIB Object pktcNcsEndPntConfigThist for 
      Information on when the endpoint becomes disconnected."
      <...>

      #4: *Pending WG Consensus*

      Propose to change the description of 'pktcNcsEndPntConfigTdinit' 
      as shown below:

      pktcNcsEndPntConfigTdinit
      <...>
      "This MIB object represents the 'disconnected' initial    
      waiting delay within the context of an MTA's 'disconnected  
      procedure'. The 'disconnected procedure' is initiated when 
      an endpoint becomes 'disconnected' while attempting to 
      communicate with a Call Agent. 

      The 'disconnected timer' associated with the 'disconnected
      Procedure' is initialized to a random value, uniformly 
      distributed between zero and the value contained in this 
      MIB Object.

      For more information on the usage of this timer, please 
      refer to the PacketCable NCS Specification."
      <...>   

      #5: *Pending WG Consensus*

      Propose to change 'pktcNcsEndPntConfigTdinit' as shown below:

      PktcNcsEndPntConfigTdinit
      <...>   
      DESCRIPTION
      "This MIB object represents the 'disconnected' minimum 
      waiting delay within the context of an MTA's 'disconnected  
      procedure', specifically when local user activity is 
      detected. 

      The 'disconnected procedure' is initiated when 
      an endpoint becomes 'disconnected' while attempting to 
      communicate with a Call Agent. 

      For more information on the usage of this timer, please 
      refer to the PacketCable NCS Specification."
      <...>   

#6 *Pending Approval* 
     Change the description of the following MIB Objects as shown below:

     pktcNcsEndPntConfigMinHookFlash
      <...>   
      DESCRIPTION
      "This is the minimum time a line needs to be on hook for a 
      valid hook flash. The value of this object MUST be 
      greater than the value of 
      pktcNcsEndPntConfigPulseDialMaxBreakTime. The value of 
      pktcNcsEndPntConfigMinHookFlash MUST be less than 
      pktcNcsEndPntConfigMaxHookFlash. This object MUST only be 
      set via the configuration file during the provisioning 
      process.
      Furthermore, given the possibility for the 'pulse dial' 
      and 'hook flash' to overlap, the value of this object MUST

      be greater than the value contained by the MIB Object 
      pktcNcsEndPntConfigPulseDialMaxMakeTime."
      <...>   

      pktcNcsEndPntConfigPulseDialMaxMakeTime
      <...>   
      DESCRIPTION
      " This is the maximum make pulse width for the dial pulse. 
      The value of pktcNcsEndPntConfigPulseDialMaxMakeTime MUST 
      be greater than pktcNcsEndPntConfigPulseDialMinMakeTime. 
      This object MUST only be set via the configuration file 
      during the provisioning process.
      Furthermore, given the possibility for the 'pulse dial' 
      and 'hook flash' to overlap, the value of this object MUST

      be less than the value contained by the MIB Object 
      pktcNcsEndPntConfigMinHookFlash."
      <...>   

      #7 *No Change*
      'Alerting Signal', 'Special Dial', 'Special Info', 'release', 
      'congestion' & userDefined 1-4 are defined as part of the 
      following ETSI document:
*	TS 101 909-4 v1.4.1 (2004-05) (Thanks to Gordon Beacham &
Phillip Freyman for the information)

     #8 *Pending WG Consensus*

     Change the 'default value' of:
     pktcSigDevCIDMode from 'dtAsETS' to ' rpAsETS'

      pktcSigDevCIDMode    OBJECT-TYPE  
      <...>   
           DEFVAL { rpAsETS }  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT SET #4/6:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
+ [Gordon: Jan 06, 2005] - *PROPOSAL ACCEPTED BY GORDON* 
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01460.html

  Email Subject: IETF NCS Sig MIB Tone Table

  Issue: Suggest introduction of a new MIB table pktcSigDevToneEntry

  RESOLUTION:

   - [Randy: Jan 06 2005]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01466.html

   - [Eugene: Jan 12, 2005]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01493.html

   - [Gordon: Jan 17, 2005]
      http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01517.html

Suggestion:

- Move 'pktcSigDevToneType' out of  'pktcSigDevToneTable' and define it
as a MIB Object within 'pktcSigDevConfigObjects'

- Move 'pktcSigDevToneNumFrequencies' out of  'pktcSigDevToneTable' and
define it as a MIB Object within 'pktcSigDevConfigObjects'
 
   pktcSigDevToneNumFrequencies    OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       INTEGER(5..16) 
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
         "This MIB Object specifies the number of frequencies 
          supported by the PacketCable MTA for each tone type."  
       ::={ pktcSigDevConfigObjects 33}  

Replace the current definition of 'PktcSigDevToneEntry' with the
following common elements (across all tone types):

    PktcSigDevToneEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
        pktcSigDevToneDbLevel                   TenthdBm,
        pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount      Unsigned32,
        pktcSigDevToneSteady                    TruthValue
    }
The above will be indexed by 'pktcSigDevToneType' as done today.

Introduce a table to handle the multiple frequencies for each tone type,
as defined below:

   PktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
  	   pktcSigDevToneFrequencyNumber           Unsigned32 ,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqPriCompValue          Unsigned32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompValue          Unsigned32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompMode           INTEGER,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompPrtg           Integer32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqOnDuration            Unsigned32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqOffDuration           Unsigned32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqRepeatCount           Unsigned32
   }

The above would be indexed by both 'pktcSigDevToneType' and
'pktcSigDevToneFrequencyNumber'.

The entire table is reproduced below:

   pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneTable    OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       SEQUENCE OF PktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry
       MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible  
       STATUS       current  

       DESCRIPTION  
           " This MIB table defines the characteristics of tones
             with multiple frequencies. The constraints imposed
             on the tones by the MIB table pktcSigDevToneTable
             need to be considered for MIB objects in this table
             as well."
       REFERENCE  
           "NCS Specification, TS 101 909-4 Specification" 
       ::= { pktcSigDevConfigObjects 35 }  

   pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry    OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       PktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry
       MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
           " The different tone types with multiple frequencies 
             that can be provisioned based on country specific needs."
       INDEX { pktcSigDevToneType, pktcSigDevToneFrequencyNumber }  
       ::= { pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneTable 1 }  

   PktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
	 pktcSigDevToneFrequencyNumber           Unsigned32 ,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqPriCompValue          Unsigned32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompValue          Unsigned32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompMode           INTEGER,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompPrtg           Integer32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqOnDuration            Unsigned32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqOffDuration           Unsigned32,
         pktcSigDevToneFreqRepeatCount           Unsigned32
   }

   pktcSigDevToneFrequencyNumber    OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32(5..16)
       MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
          "This MIB Object represents the frequency reference 
           of a multi-frequency tone. It is to be noted that
           the maximum number of frequencies for a 
           multi-frequency tone is limited by the MIB Object
           pktcSigDevToneNumFrequencies."  
       ::={ pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry 1}  

   pktcSigDevToneFreqPriCompValue    OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32(0..4000)
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
         "This MIB Object represents the value of the primary
          component frequency specific to the frequency reference 
          of a tone type."
       ::={ pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry 2}  

   pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompValue    OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32(0..4000)
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
         "This MIB Object represents the value of the secondary
          component frequency specific to the frequency reference 
          of a tone type."
       ::={ pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry 3}  

   pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompMode OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       INTEGER {
                     ignoreSecondary (1),
                     primaryModulatedBySecondary (2),
                     primarySummedWithSecondary (3)
                    }
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
       "This MIB Object indicates the way the primary 
        and secondary frequency components indicated
        by the MIB Objects 'pktcSigDevToneFreqPriCompValue'
        and 'pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompValue' are to be used.
        
        A value of primaryModulatedBySecondary(2) indicates 
        that the primary must be used to amplitude modulate
        the secondary. The percentage of amplitude modulation
        to be applied to the secondary is defined by the MIB
        Object 'pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompPrtg'.

        A value of primarySummedWithSecondary(3) indicates 
        that the primary must be summed with the secondary,
        without any modulation

        A value of ignoreSecondary(1) indicates that the 
        secondary must not be used."
       ::={ pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry 4}  

  pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompPrtg OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       Integer32(0..100)
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
          "This MIB Object represents the percentage of amplitude
           modulation applied to the secondary frequency component
           when the MIB Object 'pktcSigDevToneFreqSecCompMode' is
           set to a value of 'primaryModulatedBySecondary(2)'.
           In all other cases this MIB Object has no meaning."  
       ::={ pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry 5}  

   pktcSigDevToneFreqOnDuration                     OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32(0..5000)
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
          "This MIB Object represents the duration for which the
           frequency reference corresponding to the tone type
           is turned on."  
       ::={ pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry 6}  

   pktcSigDevToneFreqOffDuration                     OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32(0..5000)
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
          "This MIB Object represents the duration for which the
           frequency reference corresponding to the tone type
           is turned off."  
       ::={ pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry 7}  

   pktcSigDevToneFreqRepeatCount             OBJECT-TYPE  
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32(0..5000) 
       MAX-ACCESS   read-write  
       STATUS       current  
       DESCRIPTION  
       "This MIB Object indicates the number of times
       to repeat the cadence cycle represented by the 
       on/off durations (refer to the MIB Objects 
       pktcSigDevToneFreqOnDuration and 
       pktcSigDevToneFreqOffDuration). 

       Setting this object may result in a tone duration 
       longer or shorter than the overall signal duration 
       specified by the time out (TO) object for the 
       corresponding tone type. If the value of this MIB
       Object indicates a longer duration than the 
       specified by the TO, the latter overrules the former
       and the desired tone duration will be truncated according
       to the TO.

       However, if the repeat count results in a shorter
       tone duration than the signal duration specified by
       the TO, the tone duration defined by the repeat count
       takes precedence over the TO and will end the signal
       event. In this case, the TO represents a time not to
       be exceeded for the signal. It is recommended to
       ensure proper telephony signaling that the TO
       duration setting should always be longer than the
       desired repeat count time duration. A value of zero
       means the tone sequence is to be played once but not
       repeated."
       ::={ pktcSigDevMultiFreqToneEntry 8}  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT SET #5/6:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

+ [Eugene: Jan 19, 2005] - *Pending Approval* 
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01519.html

  Email Subject: pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount description 
                 in draft-07 of the Signaling MIB

  Issue: Comments related to 'pktcSigDevToneTable' and 
         'pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount'

  RESOLUTION:

 - [Randy: Jan 19, 2005]
   http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01520.html

 - [David: Jan 20, 2005]
   http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01521.html

 - [Randy: Jan 20,2005]
   http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01522.html

 - [Eugene: Jan 20, 2005]
   http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01523.html

 - [Randy: Jan 20, 2005]
   http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01524.html

 - [David: Jan 21, 2005]
   http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01531.html

Suggestion:

*Remove* the following statement from the definition of:
'pktcSigDevToneTable'

             "If the pktcSigDevToneType is callWaiting1-4, the 
             pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount does not apply 
             and MUST be ignored on SNMP get/set operations."

*Add* the following to the description of the MIB Object '
pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount':

             "If the pktcSigDevToneType is set to either of the values
             callWaiting1, callWaiting2, callWaiting3 or callWaiting4,
             then the value of the pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount
             object has no effect on the tone."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT SET #6/6:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
+ [David: Jan 21, 2005] - *Pending Approval*
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01530.html

   Subject: pktcSigDevCodecTable request for clarification
   
   Issue: Suggestions related to pktcSigDevCodecTable

   RESOLUTION:

  - [Jean-Francois: Jan 21, 2005]
    http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01535.html
  
  - [David: Jan 24, 2005]
    http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01543.html

  - [Jean-Francois: Jan 25, 2005]
    http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01554.html

  - [David: Jan 25, 2005]
    http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01555.html

Suggestion:

Include the following statement to the description of the MIB Table '
pktcSigDevCodecTable'

                 "....This table MUST NOT include non-voice codecs...."

On a related note, CODEC Types 'other' and 'unknown' are defined as:
             other           a defined codec not in the enumeration 
             unknown         a codec not defined in PacketCable

Assuming 'other' is a possible new CODEC defined by PacketCable, but not
in the enumeration and 'unknown' is a CODEC not defined at all by
PacketCable - is it ok to keep both?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn