Subject: RE: [ipcdn] problem with arris cm

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:50:03 -0500

Adi,

We don't normally discuss specific vendor issues on this email list.
However, the root cause in your case is a standards issue, rather than a
vendor implementation issue.

In short, you cannot possibly perform an SNMP query for this MIB object on
an ARRIS (or any other vendor) MTA, because the MIB module containing this
object isn't finished yet.

The reason this MIB is rooted at { mib-2 XXX }, is because we in the IPCDN
working group are not finished with this MIB yet. That means that the MIB
objects are not implementable by vendors, because the OIDs of the objects
are not yet defined.

This is done on purpose, to prevent implementations prior to approval by the
IETF community (by the IPCDN working group, MIB doctors, area directors and
IESG, and the community at-large).

Perhaps your vendor(s) have implemented some proprietary MIB objects in the
meantime that can help you?

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Adrian Dinita
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ipcdn] problem with arris cm

Hello,

I'm having a problem when trying to use the  PKTC-IETF-SIG-MIB-ipcdn-08 
( PKTC-IETF-SIG-MIB) mib with am arris cm ( ARRIS DOCSIS 1.1 / 
PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem HW_REV: 04,  SW_REV: 
TM.03.02.01.111003)

i want to monitor the mta side of the cm  but it doesn't find the object 
at the oid

snmpwalk  -v2c -c XXX 10.XX.XX.XX pktcSigDevToneType
PKTC-IETF-SIG-MIB::pktcSigDevToneType = No Such Object available on this 
agent at this OID

my question is: does it work with this arris version, and if it does 
what am i doing wrong? also what should i put at ( -- ::=  { mib-2 XXX}) 
, i've replaced it with ::=  { tComLabs 2 }..but no use

i also tryed this mib with a webstar epx 2203 .. but i don't think it 
supports packetcable 1.0.. any ideaa how to monitor the mta port state 
to this one?

thank you.

-- 
Adi Dinita

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: Thomas Anders <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:39:56 +0100

> meantime that can help you?

Most MTA vendors (Arris and S-A among them) have a Euro-PacketCable version of 
their software that supports the tComLabs MIBs published under

   http://www.tcomlabs.com/Euro-PacketCable/Specification.htm

which may meet your requirements.

+Thomas

-- 
Thomas Anders (thomas.anders at blue-cable.de)
ewt breitbandnetze, Berlin, Germany