Subject: FW: 46th IETF: TERMINAL ROOM INFORMATION

From: Murali Rajagopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:29:13 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From:	[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
[mailto:[email-masked]]
<mailto:[mailto:[email-masked]]> 
Sent:	Wednesday, September 08, 1999 8:07 AM
Subject:	46th IETF: TERMINAL ROOM INFORMATION

Terminal Room and Host Information URL:
  http://standards.nortelnetworks.com/ietf46/default.html
<http://standards.nortelnetworks.com/ietf46/default.html> 

The main terminal room has been set up in the Diplomat room in the Omni
Shoreham Hotel. Overflow areas are located in the Ambassador and Senate
rooms. Equipment includes PCs, printers, Ethernet drops, and wireless
access points. A help desk will be provided as part of the Network 
Operating Center (NOC) in the Diplomat room 

Network Connectivity

The core network consists of a 10/100 switched network with Gigabit 
Ethernet connections back to routing Switches. VRRP will be used for 
redundancy.  OSPF will be used for routing and DVMRP will be used for 
Multicast routing.

External Network Connectivity

Cable and Wireless (C&W) is providing two DS3s which will be going to two
different POPs within C&W for redundancy. Uninterruptable Power Supplies
(UPS) will be provided for the external routers.

Workstations (90 total)

Dell PCs with 128M of RAM, 450 MHz, 17" Monitors and 10/100 Ethernet
ports. They will all be remotely manageable. 

      Qty. 70 - Windows 2000 Machines 

                Windows 2000 
                Timbuktu 
                MS Office 
                SSH 
                Netscape Navigator 
                Hummingbird Exceed 
                Nortel Extranet Client 

      Qty. 20 - Linux Machines 

                SSH 
                Netscape Navigator 
                SNMP Agent

Laptop Connections

AC power outlets and 10/100 Ethernet connections will be provided in a
number of the meeting rooms. Power strips will be provided to accept 
multiple 'brick' connections.

Wireless Access

Approximately forty wireless access points,  802.11 compliant DS Bay Stack
660s, will be distributed throughout the Omni. We will also provide PCMCIA
Wireless NICs for loan or purchase and 'drivers' will be available to 
attendees at least four weeks prior to the conference.

Wireless access points will be provided for all meeting rooms, the lobby of 
the Omni, bars and other areas where people may congregate. In addition we 
will provide limited support for WaveLan wireless NICs.

Printers

Two paper and two overhead transparency printers will be provided. The 
print queues will be managed by the NOC and transparencies and paper will 
be provided by Nortel Networks. Printers will be available via 'lpr' from 
Linux, Windows and Macintosh machines.

Addressing

DHCP will be available from a Unix server in the NOC and the ISC bind and
DHCP server will be used. Static IP addresses will be available by request 
to the NOC. All addresses will be resolvable via DNS and will be class B. 

Meeting Room Connectivity 

Every meeting room will have Ethernet drops and AC power available to a
section of the room. In most cases this will be along the aisles.

IP Telephony

Nortel Networks' IP Telephones will be deployed in the terminal rooms, NOC
and selected meeting rooms. These will provide a link to the primary help
desk.

Servers

The IETF servers will be replicated locally.