Subject: (IPng 6815) KAME 19981130 stable release

From: Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 15:29:40 +0900

We are happy to inform you the stable release of KAME 19981130 for
FreeBSD 2.2.7, BSD/OS 3.0, and NetBSD 1.3.2 . The kits
are available from:
	http://www.kame.net/

Summary of the differences from the previous release is enclosed
below.

Enjoy!

--Kazu, KAME Project

---From Here
<<IPv4>>

- Introduced loop prevention mechanism for gif input and output. 

<<IPv6>>

- Implemented kernel level multicast forwarding with PIM.
- Introduced loop prevention mechanism for gif input and output. 
- Implemented kernel level prefix renumbering mechanism and its API for
  the "rrenumd" daemon and the "prefix" command.
- Gif tunnel IPv6 support as outer encapsulation. (was not possible)
- Gif tunnel extension for multiple destination.
  (contributed by [email-masked])
- Neighbor discovery code was stabilized.
- ICMPv6 redirect is now working properly.

<<IPv6 API>>

<<IPsec>>

- IPv4 IPsec (both transport and tunnel) was stabilized very much.
- IPsec tunnel now handles path MTU and TCP MSS properly.
- IPv4 options are now properly handled by IPsec code.
- Most of the ESP/AH algorithms is now confirmed to be interoperable with
  other implementations.
- The "racoon" IKE daemon was updated for better interoperability.
- Statistics is now properly gathered.

<<Userland>>

- Implemented "pim6dd", a daemon of PIMv2 dense mode for IPv6, to support 
  IPv6 multicast routing.
- IPv6 hostname with AAAA record, or numarical IPv6 address escaped by [  ],
  is supported as proxy server specification for mozilla.
- Implemented the "prefix" command for prefix assignment and renumbering 
  inside a node.
- Implemented the "rrenumd" daemon for sending router renumbering messages.
- Enhanced the "rtadvd" daemon for receiving router renumbering messages 
  and renumbering pre-assigned prefixes.
- Resolver was updated to keep binary compatibility with existing
  implementations.  Namely, struct _res is now kept unchanged from original
  bind distribution.
- EPSV/EPRT support for FAITH TCP translator.
- "tcpdump" is now able to chase IPv6 header chain and to analyze IPsec
  related packets.
- IPv6-ready logwtmp() and skeyaccess() is now supplied (FreeBSD only).

<<Others>>

- Copyright notice was changed.  We are now using 3-clause BSD copyright.
- New ports: "apache13", "gated" ("apache" is renamed to "apache12")
- "lynx" security hole fix included into the IPv6-ready ports directory.
  (this is a problem with the original "lynx", not the IPv6 patch)
- KAME on NetBSD-pmax is now confirmed to work.
---To Here
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 11:20:13 -0500

good job.............esp the pim................
is this code in the public domain?

/jim

---

From: Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 02:57:26 +0900

>is this code in the public domain?

	KAME code is redistributed under BSD-like copyright. (attached)

itojun

---
Copyright (C) 1995, 1996, 1997, and 1998 WIDE Project.
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Neither the name of the project nor the names of its contributors
   may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
   without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE PROJECT AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE PROJECT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
SUCH DAMAGE.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 01:50:41 +0900

>>>>> On Fri, 04 Dec 1998 02:57:26 +0900, 
>>>>> Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <[email-masked]> said:

> 	KAME code is redistributed under BSD-like copyright. (attached)

Right. But you may have to note that our(i.e. KAME's) PIM daemon was
based on an IPv4 PIM dense mode daemon, called pimdd, developed at the
University of Oregon. So the KAME PIM6 daemon also follows their
copyright notice.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Comm. and Info. Systems Research Labs.
					Toshiba R&D Center
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------