Subject: (IPng 6976) Reg: IPv4 getting a IPv6 packet.

From: "Raghu V.V.J Vadapalli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:42:31 -0800 (PST)

What happens when a IPv4 node receives (if at all) a IPv6 packet. Is
the IPV4 nodes discards the packet for version mismatch.

-Raghu.

==
------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 16:14:07 -0600

> the IPV4 nodes discards the packet for version mismatch.

Since IPv6 has a different link-layer encapsulation code point on
every medium I can think of (for example 86DD hex instead of 0800 hex
for ethernet and the like), it should never happen that *the IPv4
stack* on such a node receives an IPv6 packet.

But if it does happen, the fact that 6 is not equal to 4 should stop
further processing.