Subject: (IPng 6948) Re: An simple idea thrown into the air.

From: "John F. Leser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 19:01:40 -0500 (EST)

Unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't it be possible to extend the address space
of IPv6 as much as need by using IPv6 in IPv6 encapsulation?  This would
allow an entire V6 address space to be accessed through one 'top level'
address.  The only limit to encapsulation is MTU, so the capability for
expansion is essentially infinite, since a linear growth in MTU increases
address space exponentially.  This would be an effective answer to the
"many addresses at one host/small site" issue that some are raising.

***************************************************************** 
John Leser                            InterOperability Lab 
IP/Routing Consortium Engineer        University of New Hampshire
                                      7 Leavitt Lane, Room 106
Tel:   (603) 862-0090                 Durham, NH 03824-3525
Fax:   (603) 862-4181
Email: [email-masked]                Web: http://www.iol.unh.edu

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------