Subject: (IPng 6898) An simple idea thrown into the air.

From: Myron Szymanskyj <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:53:40 +0000

Apologies if I appear to be a little out of touch, but I've just found this
list and I'm studying the up and coming IPv6 spec.

I'll keep this short as maybe the idea has already been though of, but I've
not seen something in the draft that _might_ prove useful.  Thinking simple....

Would it not be a good idea to put in right from the start a mechanism (be
it an extra bit in the IP header) that if it's set to 1, the IP address is
treated to be double the size of the current draft?  This to be built into
all the new server software that is to appear.

I know it's far fetched for all the IPv6 addresses to be used up, but it
allows for instant address space expansion in the far future at the `flick
of a switch` without making the IPv6 IP header any longer at this present time.

Anyway, for now I'll shut up, observe and become more knowledgeable on the
subject so I'm not muddying the water.

Comments and further words wisdom welcome.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Steve Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:51:04 -0500

> all the new server software that is to appear.

Bit 3 of the header (starting at bit 0) has already been pre-allocated to
indicate the next version of the Internet Protocol.

Regards,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven L. Blake                  <[email-masked]>
RTP Development Lab                    (919)468-8466 x232
Torrent Networking Technologies        www.torrentnet.com