Subject: (IPng 6970) Re: route distribution via ND

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:06:12 -0800

> I don't think this scales at all, and it doesn't replace the redirect
> sufficiently.  There could be zillions of routes you might want to
> advertise, and you might want the first-hop router to be chosen based
> on more factors than just the destination.  (E.g., the source address
> or the traffic class.)

Yes, it does not replace redirect. I was not suggesting eliminating
redirect. The idea is that in some common scenarios, redirects can be
avoided through a simple mechanism to inform hosts about routes. It will not
scale to all environments. In more complex environments redirect can be
used.

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------