Subject: (IPng 6986) Protocol Action: IP Header Compression to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 07:39:29 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IP Header Compression'
<draft-degermark-ipv6-hc-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes how to compress multiple IP headers and TCP
   and UDP headers per-hop over point-to-point links. The methods can be
   applied to IPv6 base and extension headers, IPv4 headers, TCP and
   UDP headers, and encapsulated IPv6 and IPv4 headers.

   Headers of typical UDP or TCP packets can be compressed down to 4-7
   octets including the 2 octet UDP or TCP checksum. This largely
   removes the negative impact of large IP headers and allows efficient
   use of bandwidth on low- and medium-speed links.

   The compression algorithms are specifically designed to work well
   over links with nontrivial packet-loss rates. Several wireless and
   modem technologies result in such links.

Working Group Summary

 Their was consensus within the working group for this document.

Protocol Quality

 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Jeffrey Burgan and
 Thomas Narten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------