Subject: UNH Cthon, Forum results

From: Ray LaRocca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:11:50 -0400

Hello All,

The following are the results of the UNH testing at Connectathon 2000 and
the IPv6 Forum meeting in Telluride.

Connectathon 2000:  
1. 15 IPv6 implementations were present (5 times as many as last year)
2. We tested Mobile IPv6, RIPng and BGP4+ interoperability (as well as
some conformance testing)

IPv6 Forum, Telluride: 
1. 7 IPv6 implementations were present
2 We tested RIPng, BGP4+, and tunneling interoperability (some conformance
testing here also)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mobility testing at Connectathon:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Participants: 
ENST Bretagne, Ericsson, Ericsson-Telebit, Microsoft Research, NEC, Nokia

Implementations present: 
5 home agents, 3 mobile nodes, 4 correspondent nodes

Testing Highlights:
Approximately 20 interoperability tests were run over the course of the 3
days of testing.  We had a moderate level of interoperability even though
the implementations were in various stages of development (version 8, 9,
and 10 of the spec were present).  The participants spent much of the time
debugging and modifying their code.

Testing Topology:
4 networks connected via a single mobile unaware v6 router.

Testing Scenarios:
(A)
1. A home agent, mobile node pair begin on the home network with a
correspondent node residing on a foreign network.  
2. The mobile node moves from the home network to a foreign network while
pinging the correspondent node.  
3. The mobile node then moves from a foreign network to another foreign
network continuing to ping the correspondent node.
4. The mobile node then moves to the foreign network where the
correspondent node resides (still pinging)
5. The mobile node returns home.

(B)
The same as above except with a telnet session open between the mobile
node and the correspondent node.

We were able to achieve success in both of the above scenarios.

Issues/Questions:
1. Versions 8, 9, and 10 of the spec were present.  
2. There were issues involving DAD when the mobile node returned home
(this has been addressed in version 11 of the spec)
3. Issues with option ordering in the packet have also been addressed in
version 11 of the spec
4. There was an implementation incorrectly detecting movement by detecting
the different EUI-64 of the router.  In our setup the router was using the
same EUI-64 for each of its interfaces thus causing difficulty for that
implementation to detect movement.  This issue was presented to Dave
Johnson and he has addressed this issue to the mobileip working group.

What Next?
1.  We need to have an interoperability test event within 6 months to
include Mobile IPv4, DIAMETER, and Mobile IPv6, with IPsec interaction. (TBD)
2.  UNH IOL has developed Mobile IPv6 conformance tests and is currently 
providing the testing service.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Routing and conformance testing at both Connectathon and IPv6 Forum
---------------------------------------------------------------
Participants: 3Com, Cisco, COMPAQ, Ericsson-Telebit, HP, Hitachi, KAME,
Microsoft Research, NOKIA, Nortel, SCO, SGI, SUN

RIPng:
1. 14 implementations with nearly 100% interoperability
2. Some minor issues that were implementation-specific
3. The basic setup was all routers on the same network with some
configured routes being advertised.
4. 1 question regarding advertising a prefix for a network on the actual
network was posted to the ipng mailing list.  Implementations were doing
one of 3 things: advertise the prefix with metric 1, metric 16, or not
advertise it at all.

BGP4+:
1. 9 implementations with nearly 100% interoperability
2. Some minor issues that were implementation-specific
3. The basic setup was all routers on the same network establishing both
internal and external peer sessions with other routers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------