Subject: IPv6 question

From: Bruce Dang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 23:26:10 -0700 (PDT)

I have a quick IPv6 question.  In the header there is a "next header field," is there a limit to
this?  For example, if you were to have a really big # of headers following the Ipv6 header and
the remote node have to process every single one of them.  Would this consider a possible dos? 
Thanks.

Cheers,

Bruce

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
http://mail.yahoo.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Glenn Morrow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:31:34 -0500

As long as the node can be tracked down then there is the threat of
retribution. Before ingress filtering, there was no threat of retribution as
anyone could put any source address in any packet and send it to the
destination. With ingress filtering the packet should be dropped close to
the source if they are using a bogus address. If they are using a correct
source then they will be able to be tracked and prosecuted.

Bloating options is just one method for dos attack. The threat of
retribution ensured by ingress filtering is the general solution as I
understand it.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Bruce Dang [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Saturday, August 26, 2000 1:26 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	IPv6 question
>