Subject: RE: ENDS0

From: Brian Zill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:49:53 -0700

> From: Olafur Gudmundsson [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> I discussed this with the IPng WG chairs yesterday,
> and one of them suggested that the message-size draft
> actually mandate EDNS0 for hosts with IPv6 installed.
> This is a stronger requirement than I was willing to
> make, but the other chair suggested to ask the working
> group if they thing this is a good idea.

There may be another reason to do this as well, if someone can clarify for
me what I picked up in a casual conversation at IETF.  Is it the case that
EDNS0 also makes life easier for IPv6 nodes by allowing resolvers to issue a
single query to a DNS server that independently asks for both A6 (or AAAA)
and A records and get a single response back with both answers?  Right now,
I believe the only way to do this is to issue separate queries and coalesce
the results yourself.  (My apologies for not knowing all that much about
DNS)

Thanks,
--Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------