Subject: RE: When should mobile nodes use their care-of address, etc...

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:40:38 -0700

May I observe that, in attempting to specify a source address selection
algorithm, the WG goes well beyond the traditional IETF role, which is to
focus on interoperability issues, not implementations? I would expect such
algorithms to evolve in time, as we learn more on the subject. I would also
expect them to vary a lot depending on how much a particular station knows
about its environment, how far in the future it can predict the
application's behavior, what arbitration is made between privacy and
performance, etc. Rather than specify an actual algorithm, the WG should be
content with a list of recommendations, in the form of "if you do this,
expect that" or "don't do X, because it will cause interoperability problem
Y." 
-- Christian Huitema
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:14:10 -0400

>expect that" or "don't do X, because it will cause interoperability problem

I strongly strongly agree with Christian.

regards,
/jim