Subject: Comments on draft-conta-extensions-ipv6-tunnel-00.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 18:26:16 -0700 (PDT)

Alex,

I really really don't see the need for what the draft calls "symmetric
bi-directional tunnels".

While such constructs might be used in the traffic engineering context
the TE context comes with a control protocol (MPLS) for setting up
the explicit paths and recovering from failure.
Getting MPLS to control IPv6-in-IPv6 tunnels would be a huge exercise
of very questionable value.

Thus my personal opinion is that the draft should only specify "regular"
bi-directional tunnels.

   Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------