Subject: Relevant Activities at upcoming iBANDatISPCON event

From: Jason Utz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:35:30 -0700

Many people on this list have been attendees and participants in past
iBAND events so I wanted to give you a heads up on the next iBAND, taking
place with ISPCON at the San Jose Convention Center, Nov 8-10. 

I'd also like to extend a special offer to members of this list since
we've worked so closely with this group.

<bold>For more event information, go to:
http://events.stardust.com/iband

Before October 25, 2000, you can sign up for the event, get all the
sessions free in MP3 format 

and get a $100 discount by going to
https://events.stardust.com/iband/special/register_offer.htm

and using the following registration code: IPV6

</bold>

Highlights

----------

BOFs

----

* What's new in network processing and the CPIX Forum's role in it

  Colin Mick, CPIX Forum  Steve Jacobson, RealNetworks

* The Technical Needs of Content Peering

  Mark Day, Cisco Systems

  Brad Cain, Mirror Image Internet

* Enabling QoS at the Network Edge

  Manickam "Sri" Sridhar, Sitara Networks

* Policy-based Configuration Management

  Art Mellor, Gold Wire Technology

* Riding the Wave of Streaming Video

  Bodhi Mukherjee, InfoValue Computing

* Internet2

  Russ Hobby, UC Davis

<bold><underline>iBAND Showcase</underline></bold> -
http://events.stardust.com/iband/showcase.htm

The iBAND Showcase is the fourth in a series of networks engineered by
members of the QoS Forum and exhibitors at the iBAND event -- It will
feature:

*Accelerated Application Services  Tiered Services

*Service Level Agreements (SLAs)

*Intelligent Network Infrastructure

*Service Management

*Network Performance Tools

Come and meet the people and companies who have worked together over a
period of several months to reflect the latest products working in real
networks. Companies involved: 

*Agilent
Technologies*CrossKeys*Hewlett-Packard*Ixia*ISPSoft*Intel*InterworkingLabs*IP
Highway*Nortel Networks      *Orchestream*Riverstone Networks*Rockliffe
systems*Spirent Communications 

Come and experience first hand new intelligent infrastructure service and
management capabilities in hosts, applications, routers, switches and
network analysis tools. Engineered into several different network
topologies, these interoperable products harness new protocol standards
and core technologies.

<underline>Keynote Descriptions

</underline>* Content Delivery: A New World ofTechnology, Business &
Value-Added Services

Z. Alan Fink,Sr. Vice President & General Manager, Adero & Jim
Ricotta,Senior Director, Marketing Cisco Systems

Moving content around the Internet effectively and delivering the highest
quality experience for information consumers has become an imperative for
every Internet-driven organization. To align a growing number of
technologies, products and services, and to accelerate the number of
opportunities for participants in this new market, industry heavyweights
have recently formed two new alliances: The Content Bridge Alliance and
The Content Alliance. Forging new Internet standards, removing market
barriers and creating new business opportunities are at the heart of
these groups' activities. How should content be delivered and managed to
provide the highest quality of service? What related services,
technologies and peering agreements need to be addressed? Al Fink (Adero)
and Jim Ricotta (Cisco Systems), founding members respectively of the
Content Bridge Alliance and Content Alliance, will present their views on
the technology and business challenges and opportunities that lie ahead
for content providers, service providers and information consumers who
lie on the content distribution value-chain

* Internet Infrastructure: Why We Can't Just Paint Over the Cracks

Judy Estrin, Chief Executive Officer, Packet Design, Inc. 

The Internet continues to require advances in traffic management,
scalability, performance and sophisticated content routing and management
capabilities. But an increasing number of new Internet products and
services are based on proprietary and/or point solutions that do not have
the openess or scalability inherent in the original IP architecture. What
long term implications do these approaches have for the future of the
Internet? Do they undermine the traditional homogeneity of the Internet?
Why, or should we care? And what do we need to do about it? In this
keynote, Judy Estrin will address these questions and more and offer her
own prescriptions for the long term health of the Internet's IP-based
infrastructure. 

* Creating, Provisioning and Managing IP Services Under Massive
Commercial Pressures 

Charles Muirhead, Founder, Orchestream and iGabriel.net

The Internet has evolved from research facility to backbone of the new
economy.  Historically, fundamental Internet protocols were carefully
agreed by standards bodies over many years but today's commercial
pressures require huge infrastructure investment decisions daily. And
today's Internet reality is one of many different technologies at
multiple network layers. Given this flux, how do network managers best
provision new services and manage their networks? Can we continue to
innovate at breakneck speed with standards-based solutions? What does
this all mean for buyers of network infrastructure products & services?
In this keynote, Charles Muirhead will look at the new realities of
product creation and infrastructure deployment. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------