Subject: Revised IPng Working Group Charter

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:19:00 -0700

Thomas, Erik,

Attached is the revised charter for the IPng working group.  Updating the 
charter was agreed to at the Grenoble and Minneapolis working group 
meetings.  This version has been discussed on the ipng mailing list and at 
the Adelaide IETF meeting.

The charter includes changing the name of the working group to the "IP 
Version 6 Working Group", but will keep the acronym of "ipngwg".  This will 
avoid having to rename all current internet drafts.

Bob Hinden / Steve Deering

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Version 6 Working Group (ipngwg)  *** note: change of name but not acronym

Chair(s):

    Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
    Steve Deering <[email-masked]>

Document Editor

    Bob Hinden ([email-masked])

Internet Area Director(s):

    Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
    Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:

    Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

    General Discussion:[email-masked]
    To Subscribe: [email-masked]
    In Body: in body: subscribe ipng
    Archive: ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/mail-archive

Description of Working Group:

    IP version 6 or IPv6 (also formerly known as IP Next Generation or IPng)
    is intended to support the continued growth of the Internet, both in
    size and capabilities, by offering a greatly increased IP address space
    and other enhancements over IPv4.  The working group was originally
    chartered to implement the recommendations of the IPng Area Directors
    as outlined at the July 1994 IETF meeting and in "The Recommendation
    for the IP Next Generation Protocol," RFC1752, January 1995.  Most of
    the tasks in that original charter have been completed, and the core
    IPv6 protocol specifications are now on the IETF standards track.
    The working group's ongoing responsibilities are as follows:

     - Complete work from the original charter and follow-on work, as
       outlined below.

     - Keep all IPv6 working group documents moving along publication /
       standardization track.

     - Serve as a review board and body of competence and coordination for
       IPv6 architectural issues that span multiple IETF working groups.

     - Provide a home for IPv6-related work that doesn't fit in an existing
       IETF working group and doesn't merit a working group of its own.

     - Provide technical input to ICANN, Internet Address Registries, and
       IANA with regard to IPv6 address allocation policies and procedures.

     - Provide technical input and review to IANA with regard to IPv6
       protocol and parameter assignments.

    The list of the working group's current work items is as follows:

     - Revise ICMPv6 spec (scope-exceeded err, no error to redirect,
       editorial)
     - Revise Generic Tunneling spec (add bidirectional tunnels)
     - Update Basic and Advanced API specs
     - Complete Scoped Address Architecture spec and any necessary revisions
       to other working group drafts required to properly implement support
       for IPv6 address scoping
     - Complete work on recommended address-selection algorithms
     - Work on new solutions to site-multihoming problems, possibly including
       both host-based and router-based solutions.
     - Complete work on local IPv6 networking as part of IPv6 plug-and-play
     - Complete work on privacy extensions to stateless address configuration
     - Document IPv6 renumbering model
     - Complete the GSE Analysis document
     - Complete the Inverse Neighbor Discovery spec
     - Complete the IPv6 Node Information Queries spec
     - Complete MIB specs as required by any working group protocol specs

    New work items not listed above require the approval of the working
    group and Internet Area directors before they will be taken on by the
    working group.

    The working group would welcome contributions on the following topics
    (this is not an exhaustive list):

     - Flow label standardization
     - Solutions to other multihoming issues, beyond those specific to
       site-multihoming
     - Integration of autoconfiguration, mobility, DNS, service discovery
       and other technologies to enhance IPv6 plug-and-play
     - IPv6 dial-up issues relating to address assignment, use of Neighbor
       Discovery, etc. (not including AAA work)
     - Specifications for IPv6 over additional media
     - Extending MLD to include functionality of IGMPv3
     - Host use of anycast; TCP use of anycast
     - Support for multi-link subnets (single subnet spans multiple links)
     - Scope-name discovery
     - IPv6 protocol extensions to accommodate mobile wireless networks.

Goals and Milestones:

  Aug 2000    Complete MLD MIB and submit for Proposed Standard

  Sep 2000    Complete privacy extensions specification and submit for
              Proposed Standard

  Nov 2000    Completed revision of GSE Analysis document and resubmit
              for Informational

  Sep 2000    Complete the Inverse Neighbor Discovery specification
              and submit for Proposed Standard

  Sep 2000    Complete IPv6 Multihoming with Route Aggregation and submit
              for Informational.

  Dec 2000    Update ICMP document and resubmit for Draft Standard

  Dec 2000    Update Generic Tunneling specification and resubmit for
              Proposed Standard

  Nov 2000    Complete updates to Basic and Advanced API specifications
              and submit for Informational

  Dec 2000    Complete Scoped Address Architecture and submit for Proposed
              Standard

  Dec 2000    Compete Address Selection specification and submit for Proposed
              Standard

  Dec 2000    Complete Local IPv6 Networking Specification and submit for
              Proposed Standard

  Dec 2000    Complete the IPv6 Node Information Queries specification
              and submit for Proposed Standard

  Mar 2001    Complete IPv6 renumbering model document and submit for
              Informational

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT)

>      - IPv6 protocol extensions to accommodate mobile wireless networks.

Bob,
I think IPv6 already accomodates these networks.

Shouldn't the charter say "further accomodate" or something like it?

  Erik

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 11:42:15 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> is there a written document for IPv6 somewhere? I'd like to add
MLD a la IGMPv3 in BSD kernels, I believe the whole IPv4 stuff can be
ported to IPv6 but perhaps (:-) I am not alone on this topics...

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: "Brian Haberman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 07:26:00 -0400

Francis,
     Not yet.  Steve Deering and I have discussed it in the past
and we have put it off until the IGMPv3 doc stabilized.  I am
planning on starting that task soon.

Regards,
Brian