Subject: Re: DNS Server

From: Petra Zeidler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:57:08 +0200

Hi,

Thus wrote JIM FLEMING ([email-masked]):

> AAAA Records in DNS
> 
> 2002:<IPv4 RepliGate>:0000:<IPv8 Address>

? 
Is that config for something doing v4-to-v6-translation?

Thus wrote Emanuel Moreira ([email-masked]):
>> 
>> 
>> I want to configure a DNS server in a IPv6 network and I want to make
>> query's from my Windows 2000 host. How can I configure a route to the DNS
>> Server in this host or is not like in IPv4?
>> Or else should the DNS send some advertisements to the hosts?

Maybe I'm entirely missing the point, but DNS servers usually get entered
in the corresponding section of a hosts' network config, e.g. resolv.conf
on a Unix host. If the Windows 2000 does IPv6 its DNS panel should take
the nameservers' address in v6 in the 'servers' list. And that's usually
nothing at all to do with routing. [*] ;-)

kind regards,
	Petra Zeidler

[*] though it helps performance a lot if the client can actually reach the
nameserver it wants to use ;-))
-- 
[A] KPNQwest Germany * Emmy-Noether-Strasse 9 * D-76131 Karlsruhe
[T] +49 721 9652 215   [F] +49 721 9652 171
[E] [email-masked]                [I] www.kpnqwest.de

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------