Subject: Routing header

From: "Tito Carlos S. Vieira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:00:35 +0100

Hello,

I'm studing the IPv6 protocol and after reading the "Internet Protocol
Verson 6 Specification" (RFC2460) i have some dificult to understand the
information of routing header (extension header).

In page 11 refer " ... The Routing header is used by an IPv6 source to
list one or more
   intermediate nodes to be "visited" on the way to a packet's
   destination.  This function is very similar to IPv4's Loose Source
   and Record Route option.... "

and in  page 14 refer "... A Routing header is not examined or processed
until it reaches the
   node identified in the Destination Address field of the IPv6 header.
..."

I understand routing header as a method to save part of, or entire path,
to destination of a packet and all  intermediate routers look the
information of vector of "addresses " (when extension header exist) in
routing header, and based on this information forward the packect to the
next address in the vector of addresses of routing header. I suppose
this need to examine and process routing header in all intermediate
nodes but in page 14 i can see that ideia are incorrect and routing
header is only examined in the Destination Address.
Can anyone help me to understand very well the goal of Routing Header?

Maybe this is one basic question but i'm begginer :)

Thank you before
Tito

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Vladislav Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:35:21 -0400

Tito

See RFC 2292 or draft-ietf-ipngwg-2292bis-XX.  They
explain this well with different examples.

-vlad 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Vladislav Yasevich		Tel: (603) 884-1079
Compaq Computer Corp.		Fax: (435) 514-6884
110 Spit Brook Rd ZK03-3/T07
Nashua, NH 03062
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------