Subject: IPv6 TCP/UDP MIBs

From: "Kristine Adamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:09:12 -0400

I am an SNMP developer and have just subscribed to this mailing list, so I
apologize if there has already been a discussion on this subject.  I
noticed that the IPv6 MIB Design Team internet drafts for the revised TCP
and UDP MIBs, define version neutral MIB tables.  For a server application
that opens an AF_INET6 socket and binds to the unspecified address (without
setting the IPv6_V6ONLY socket option), should there be two entries in
these MIB tables, one with the local address as IPv4/INADDR_ANY  and one
with the local address as IPv6/unspecified?  Or should there be one entry
with the local address as IPv6/unspecified?  What if the server application
opened an AF_INET6 socket and bound to an IPv4-mapped address?  Would there
be one entry in the tables with the local address as IPv4/address or as
IPv6/IPv4-mapped address?  I think my real question is, are the table
entries supposed to reflect the IP address type from the view of the flow
of the packets on the network, or from the viewpoint of the address family
of the socket with which the connection/listener is associated?

Thanks,
Kris Adamson

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------