Subject: IPv6_UNICAST_HOPS and IPV6_HOPLIMT

From: "Lori Napoli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:45:31 -0400

Can someone explain how the two options IPv6_UNICAST_HOPS and IPv6_HOPLIMIT
work together.  Does IPv6_UNICAST_HOPS override IPV6_HOPLIMIT ?  And
IPv6_HOPLIMIT overrides the system configured default?

Thanks
Lori

z/OS Communications Server Development - TCP/IP Stack

919-254-6146   T/L 8-444-6146
E-mail: [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:48:19 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:45:31 -0400, 
>>>>> "Lori Napoli" <[email-masked]> said:

> IPv6_HOPLIMIT overrides the system configured default?

IPV6_HOPLIMIT overrides both IPV6_UNICAST_HOPS and the system
configured default.

6.3.  Specifying/Receiving the Hop Limit

   The outgoing hop limit is normally specified with either the
   IPV6_UNICAST_HOPS socket option or the IPV6_MULTICAST_HOPS socket
   option, both of which are described in [RFC-2553].  Specifying the
   hop limit as ancillary data lets the application override either the
   kernel's default or a previously specified value, for either a
   unicast destination or a multicast destination, for a single output
   operation.
(draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2292bis-02.txt, which has already expired...)

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------