Subject: RE: dialup PPP (material for interim meeting)

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:36:24 +0200

Itojun, 

going back to the original question, based on your 
implementation experience, would hosts use 3041
on a PPP link ? 

Hesham
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 07:42:41 +0900

>implementation experience, would hosts use 3041

	please declare which addressing policy is in your mind, otherwise
	we cannot even diagnose...

	from my point of view, (assuming that you will assign /64 to the
	network behind the dialup device) RFC3041 will be operated totally
	independently from dialup link.  there's no real relationship/
	interaction whatsoever.  (see 2nd bullet on PPP draft section 2.4)

	if you try to assign /64 onto the dialup link, and use multilink subnet
	trick on dialup links attached to the ISP device, the story goes much
	more complicated (specifically DAD).  i don't really like the approach
	personally, because it is a lot more complicated.
	(see 1st bullet on PPP draft section 2.4)

itojun