Subject: Usage of Ip-redirect

From: Sridhar Gurivireddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:31:13 -0500

Can I use ICMP-redirect message of Ipv6 to inform an arbitrary host in a
netwok about an arbitrary next-hop for a particular desitnation?

ICMP redirect is used by a router to inform a host about the better
first hop?
My Question is " Are there any restictions on where this first hop can
be?"

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:40:34 -0700

A redirect packet MUST NOT be forwarded through a router (hop limit is set
to 255), and the new next hop MUST be an address on the link with the
recipient (so ND is not required).  Other than being contained within the
context of a link, there are no restrictions.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Sridhar Gurivireddy
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 9:31 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Usage of Ip-redirect

Thanks

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 01:44:13 +0300 (EEST)

> context of a link, there are no restrictions.

To be exact in about the first issue, nowhere is it said (or I missed it)
that Redirects MUST not (or even SHOULD not) be forwarded.

However, when receiving/sending the packet, source MUST be link-local
address and hop limit MUST be 255, among others.

So it basically means the same -- but who has to/is allowed to control
this is obeyed (routers vs. end-nodes) is different.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords