Subject: Protocol Action: Transmission of IPv6 Packets over IEEE 1394 Networks to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:50:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Transmission of IPv6 Packets
over IEEE 1394 Networks' <draft-ietf-ipngwg-1394-02.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
  IEEE Std 1394-1995 is a standard for a High Performance Serial Bus.
   This document describes the frame format for transmission of IPv6
   packets and the method of forming IPv6 link-local addresses and
   statelessly autoconfigured addresses on IEEE1394 networks.  It also
   describes the content of the Source/Target Link-layer Address
   option used in Neighbor Discovery to perform address resolution
   when the messages are transmitted on an IEEE1394 network.

Working Group Summary

 This document is based heavily on the IPv4 over 1394 specification
 [RFC 2734] and defers to that specification for the definition of
 some of its functions. During the Last Call, comments were made that
 there may be performance problems with the existing IPv4 over 1394
 specification and that it may need to be reexamined. Consequently,
 requests to delay advancement of this document were made. However, at
 this time, it remains unclear whether and when the IPv4 over 1394
 standard will be updated and to what extent such an update will
 obsolete the current design. Thus, the IESG has approved this
 document as a Proposed Standard.  Like all Proposed Standards, it can
 be updated at anytime as needed.

Protocol Quality

 This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------