Subject: Request to Advance "A flexible method for managing the assignment of bits of an IPv6 address block"

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:32:49 -0700

Erik, Thomas,

The chairs of the IP Next Generation working group, on behalf of the 
working group, request that the following document be published as an 
Informational RFC:

    Title	: A flexible method for managing the assignment of bits
                  of an IPv6 address block
    Author(s)	: M. Blanchet
    Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipaddressassign-02.txt
    Pages	: 13
    Date	: 07-Mar-01

A working group last call for this document was completed on January 30, 
2001.  The current draft resolves issues raised during the last call.

Bob Hinden / Steve Deering
IPng Working Group Co-Chairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:00:41 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

This is proposed for informational, so it won't matter but I'd like to
mention one consideration about address allocations that wasn't mentioned
(perhaps on purpose).

IPv6 address could be summarized by being like 2001:ABCD:OPQR:XYZW::/64.

ABCD is something you can't change (usually).
OPQR is /32 - /48, the range you most often really have to think about.
XYZW is the site internal structure, also subject to some considerations
(a ministrucure of all three, probably).

For _clarity_ (for us hunams :), avoiding overlaps and enabling effective
reverse DNS delations, I personally feel that address
allocations/reservations should be done on the nibble boundary, ie. not
"break a character".

If this nibbles aren't broken (or even if they are), the effective area of
addresses you have is actually rather limited, like CD:OPQR or just OPQR
(or with current RIR scheme, PQR).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords