Subject: draft-ietf-default-addr-select-04.txt

From: Mauro Tortonesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:07:29 +0200 (CEST)

last monday i have revised draft-ietf-default-addr-select-04.txt, and i
have some questions and minor editorial comments:

Page 1:

Abstract

[...]

   All IPv6 nodes, including both hosts and routers, must implement
   default address selection as defined in this specification.

why "must" and not "MUST"?

Page 5:

2.3. IPv6 Addresses with Embedded IPv4 Addresses

   IPv4-compatible addresses [2] and 6to4 addresses [12] contain an
   embedded IPv4 address. For the purposes of this document, these
   addresses should be treated as having global scope.

   IPv4-compatible addresses should be treated as having "preferred"
   configuration status.

what about 6to4 addresses? shouldn't they be treated as having "preferred"
configuration status too? what about other embedded address types?

2.4. Loopback Address and Other Format Prefixes

   The loopback address should be treated as having link-local
   scope [9, section 4] and "preferred" configuration status.

this has already been (partly) stated in section 2.1.

2.5. Policy Table

[...]

   The precedence value Precedence(A) is used for sorting destination
   addresses. If Precedence(A) > Precedence(B), we say that address A
   has higher precedence than address B, meaning that our algorithm
   will prefer to sort destination address A before destination address
   B.

i would change this into:

   The precedence value Precedence(A) is used for sorting destination
   addresses. If Precedence(A) > Precedence(B), we say that address A
   has higher precedence than address B, meaning that our algorithm
   will prefer to sort destination (or source) address A before
   destination (or source) address B.

Page 10:

6. Interactions with Routing

[...] One router is advertising a global prefix A and
   the other route is advertising global prefix B.
             ^^^^^

i think you wanted to say router here.

IMHO, draft-ietf-default-addr-select-04.txt is a very well done work.
i wonder how many implementations already support source and destination
address selection. does any of you have some information about this?

-- 
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi			[email-masked]
Ferrara Linux User Group	http://www.ferrara.linux.it
Project6 - IPv6 for Linux	http://project6.ferrara.linux.it

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------