Subject: use of :: as source address in RS

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 15:03:22 -0400

- probably something very obvious. sorry if it is the case.
- RFC2461 says for Router solicitation:

       Source Address
                      An IP address assigned to the sending interface, or
                      the unspecified address if no address is assigned
                      to the sending interface.

I'm trying to find the case where the unspecified address would be used as 
source address in RS. If you are going to use RS, it is because you are 
using autoconfig mode. Then the link-local would be available, since you 
would be DADing it before using it and then use the link-local as source 
address of the RS. If the link-local is not usable because you receive a 
response to the dad on the link-local, then you would have to construct 
some unique interface id that need to be checked again with dad, which may 
end up not having a link-local.

question is then: in which case the RS could have the unspecified address 
as the source address.

Any idea? sorry if it is obvious.

Thanks, Marc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:14:56 +0300

> question is then: in which case the RS could have the unspecified
> address as the source address.

After the interface has come up, I do the duplicate address test and
sending RS in parallel, thus usually, for the first RS, there is no
valid address available (it is still tentative) and it goes out with
src=::.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------