Subject: Fwd: RE: [Fwd: Re: Proxy announcement !]

From: "Gerben Kuijpers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:26:05 +0200

Thanks for your comments, response inline.

 > -------- Original Message --------
 > Subject: Re: Proxy announcement !
 > Date: 05 Jul 2001 20:49:48 +0200
 > From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
 > >>"Hesham Soliman  (ERA)" <[email-masked]> writes:
 >
 > >> 
http://standards.ericsson.net/Hesham/draft-manyfolks-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt

 > IPv6 Jumbograms rfc2675?

We left this RFC out, because jumbograms should not be used by cellular 
hosts. Maybe we should have added a section on this RFC and state there that 
it should not be used by cellular hosts for the following reasons:
-typical cellular link MTUs are much smaller than 64k
-packets large than 64k take too long to send on relatively slow cellular 
links (e.g. 64k packet on 144 kbps link takes 3.6 seconds to send)

 >Default Address selection?

This is discussed in section 2.16. Do you miss anything there?

 > >I'm struck there's nothing about QoS.

What did you expect to see about QoS? Is there anything specific to IPv6?

 > >You state MLD SHOULD be supported and Router Alert Option MAY be
 > >supported.  Well, the former requires the latter I don't know   >where > 
 >else is the latter needed.

We state that MLD is a 'SHOULD' in case the cellular host supports multicast 
functionality. In that case some mechanism is needed to inform the upstream 
router about which multicast groups the cellular host is listening to. This 
mechanism would preferably be MLD, that's why : 'SHOULD'.
We could add a clause that the Router Alert Option MUST be supported in case 
MLD is supported. The Router Alert Option is also used by RSVP.

/Gerben Kuijpers

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------