Subject: Latest IPv6 MIBs revision

From: Dario Accornero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:46:07 +0100

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about the latest revision (12th July)
of draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2011-update-00.txt :

1. ipIfStatsTable:
   Why {In,Out}Octets and {In,Out}McastOctets are declared as
   Counter32 instead of as Counter64 ?
2. ipIfStatsTable:
   Why there are no accurate descriptions of the new counters,
   besides {In,Out}Octets ?

Thank you,
-- 
Dario Accornero - IOS Europe Development - IPv6 Team
Stockley Park, Uxbridge, UK - voice +44 20 8756 6268
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Rajiv Raghunarayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:57:50 +0530

Hi Dario,

I think these questions haven't been answered yet.. so I'll take
my stab at it..

>    Counter32 instead of as Counter64 ?

64 bit equivalents of all these objects exist i.e.

ipIfStatsInOctets (32 bit)  <===>  ipIfStatsHCInOctets (64 bit)
ipIfStatsOutOctets          <===>  ipIfStatsHCOutOctets
ipIfStatsInMcastOctets      <===>  ipIfStatsHCInMcastOctets
ipIfStatsOutMcastOctets     <===>  ipIfStatsHCOutMcastOctets

>    Why there are no accurate descriptions of the new counters,

The description of all the 64 bit objects are same as the 32 bit
version.. the only change is that they maintain 64-bit values
instead of 32-bit.

HTH..

-Rajiv.