Subject: New IPv6 MIBs and RFC2452, RFC2454, RFC2465, and RFC2466

From: "Kristine Adamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:17:13 -0400

Bill,
   Can you tell me what the intended relationship is between the IPv6 MIBs
in RFC2452, RFC2454, RFC2465, and RFC2466 and the new MIBs the IPv6 MIB
Design team is working on?  Is it intended that the new MIBs will replace
the previous MIBs?  Or does the team expect some platforms to implement the
previous MIBs and some platforms to implement the new MIBs?  Is the team
aware of any platforms that have implemented the previous MIBs and any
Network Management applications that are using them?

Thanks!

Kristine Adamson
IBM Communications Server for MVS: TCP/IP Development
Internet e-mail:[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Brian Haberman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:33:59 -0400

Kristine,
     The new mibs are intended to replace the existing IPv6 mibs.  I
am not aware of any platforms that have implemented the old mibs, but
I am sure someone will point some out.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 04:47:14 +0900

>I am sure someone will point some out.

	free software:
	ucd-snmp (now net-snmp?) implements most of the older RFCs.

	vendor routers:
	I know of multiple products which implements older RFCs.

	therefore, you can't just make the old ones obsolete (you cannot
	reuse codepoints).

itojun