Subject: draft-ietf-ipngwg-temp-addresses-v2-00.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:27:45 -0400

While implementing RFC 3041 (Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address
Autoconfiguration in IPv6) Rich Draves came up with a few items that
we thought should be addressed in this document. So, I've just
submitted an revised version of the document. From the change log:

8.  Significant Changes from RFC 3041

   This section summarizes the changes in this document relative to RFC
   3041 that an implementer of RFC 3041 should be aware of.

   1) Added wording to exclude certain interface indentifiers from the
      range of acceptable interface identifiers. Interface IDs such as
      0, those for reserved anycast addresses [RFC 2526], etc.

   2) Added a configuration nob that provides the end user with a way to
      enable or disable the use of temporary addresses.

   3) Under RFC 3041, RAs with short lifetimes (e.g., 1 hour) that
      always send the same lifetime for long periods of time (e.g., days
      to weeks) resulted in temporary addresses being created with
      lifetimes of only 1 hour. Additional rules were added to increase
      the Lifetime of temporary addresses when the advertised lifetimes
      were short.

   4) DAD is now run on all temporary addresses, not just the first one
      generated from an interface identifier.
      
   5) Changed the default setting for usage of temporary addresses to be
      disabled.

A copy of the ID can be found at:

ftp://ftp.cs.duke.edu/pub/narten/ietf/draft-ietf-ipngwg-temp-addresses-v2-00.txt

Thomas
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------