Subject: IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration....,

From: Sardar Maansingh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 18:30:00 +0530

Hi,

I am new to IPv6 and have few doubts regarding "IPv6 stateless address
autoconfiguration". RFC 2462 not clear my doubts.
Any help from you people is greatly appreciated.

what do "stateless" and "stateful"  means in this context??

1) What is stateless autoconfiguration?
2) What is stateful autoconfiguration?
   and Why two methodes?
3) What is the difference between them?
4) Will this feature is equivalent to any features of IPv4?
5) Where can I find the examples to stateless address 
   auto configurations?
    
Thanks in advance,
MaanSingh.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:39:14 -0700

> what do "stateless" and "stateful"  means in this context??
Stateful means that the address is managed through a preconfigured database,
where stateless means the address is constructed by the node.

> 1) What is stateless autoconfiguration?
Each node constructs its own address using an established set of rules, and
some information from the local router (if one exists).

> 2) What is stateful autoconfiguration?
Each node asks the service (like DHCP) for the address it should be using.

>    and Why two methodes?
Different operational environments will choose between them to achieve the
desired policies. It is an operational cost vs. control trade-off.

> 3) What is the difference between them?
Stateful allows for strict central control of the entire 128-bits, while
stateless has the central control only managing the upper 64-bits with each
node responsible for the lower.

> 4) Will this feature is equivalent to any features of IPv4?
There is no equivalent IPv4 feature to stateless autoconfiguration.

> 5) Where can I find the examples to stateless address
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6.asp
http://www.compaq.com/ipv6/
http://www.sun.com/solaris/ipv6/
http://www.kame.net/