Subject: ICMPv6 rate limiting factor

From: "Lori Napoli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:59:06 -0500

RFC 2463 states that it is a MUST to limit the rate of ICMPv6 error
messages that are sent.  Traceroute is a utility that relies on ICMP error
messages.  One of the parameters for traceroute is the number of probes
that are sent for each hopcount.   RFC 2463 gives an example of 1 second as
a conservative default if timer based rate limiting was implemented.   If
this is used,  traceroute won't receive a reply for each probe if multiple
probes are sent for each hopcount since some will be supressed due to the
rate limiting factor.  What are other implementations doing in regard to
ICMPv6 rate limits?

Thanks
Lori

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:53:44 +0100 (CET)

> rate limiting factor.  What are other implementations doing in regard to

The Solaris implementation uses a token bucket
filter to allow bursts of ICMP errors (max 10) while limiting the average rate 
to 10 per second.

   Erik

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:32:05 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:59:06 -0500, 
>>>>> "Lori Napoli" <[email-masked]> said:

> rate limiting factor.  What are other implementations doing in regard to

As itojun mentioned (in a different context), the KAME/BSD
implementation does the rate limitation on packet-per-sec basis.  By
default the implementation allows 100 icmp6 errors per second.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------