Subject: RE: Question on Site-Local-Addressing

From: "Anssi Porttikivi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:45:05 +0300

That has been discussed, and is generally confusing. The confusing idea
is that unicast "site" scope and all multicast scopes (which are
basically defined separately from unicast scopes) with bigger number
than 3 (subnet-local) but smaller than hex E "global" are
administratively configured, i.e. your routers will look at the
multicast packets and send them wherever your multicast routing
protocols are administered to forward them.

From 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoping-arch-02.tx
t

- Site-local scope, for uniquely identifying interfaces 
within a single site only.  A "site" is, by intent, not 
rigorously defined, but is typically expected to cover a 
region of topology that belongs to a single organization 
and is located within a single geographic location, such 
as an office, an office complex, or a campus.  A personal 
residence may be treated as a site (for example, when the 
residence obtains Internet access via a public Internet 
service provider), or as a part of a site (for example, 
when the residence obtains Internet access via an 
employer's or school's site). 

And From
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-06.txt

(Multicast scopes:)

0  reserved
1  interface-local scope
2  link-local scope
3  subnet-local scope
4  admin-local scope
5  site-local scope
6  (unassigned)
7  (unassigned)
8  organization-local scope
9  (unassigned)
A  (unassigned)
B  (unassigned)
C  (unassigned)
D  (unassigned)
E  global scope
F  reserved
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:21:04 -0700

Anssi Porttikivi wrote:
> ... A personal

To be precise, Internet access is orthogonal to the definition of
site-local.

> as an office, an office complex, or a campus.

This part is sufficient.

Tony