Subject: Question on Site-Local-Addressing

From: "MANDAVILLI,SWAMY J (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 19:23:07 -0400

Hi !

   With reference to "site-local-addresses", what is
   the definition of a "site"?  Are two nodes in two
   different sites because of the configuration of
   routing on the Routers in between them OR
   BGP running on a Router in between them OR
   through address allocation mechanisms OR
   some other mechanism?

   In particular, I would like to know how to determine
   if a given "site-local-address" belongs to the same site
   as mine (i.e., my node).  Is it possible to tell by
   looking at the addresses of "my node" and the
   "given site-local-address"?

   Sorry, if this is a silly question.
   Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
Swamy
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Elliott Norsa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 11:44:39 +0200

The definition of a site triggered many questions.
My understanding of it is that it's an administratively defined collection
of nodes. 
Quite simply, 2 nodes A and B belong to the same site, if every router
in this same site doesn't need to route data out of the site to reach the
destination.

That means that a site could be:
- in a single geographical location
- spread out in several locations (with VPN).

This would allow for a company to have intra-site communications without
firewalling, even if it has locations in different geographical 
locations.

Elliott

-- 
Elliott Norsa                               Ascend Communication Premea
Sr Software Engineer                        Village d'entreprise Green Side
mailto: [email-masked]                   400 Avenue Roumanille, BP57
tel : (33) 4 92 96 56 22   ext: 65622       06901 Sophia Antipolis