Subject: RE: Cellular host requirements, 01 & next steps

From: "Soininen Jonne (NET/MtView)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:35:56 -0500

Hi Alex,

I think this is general question on behavior on point-to-point links -
not 3GPP specifically. I would guess that other links that share the
same characteristics, e.g. modem links, have the same problems on the
address autoconfig/DAD. 
Anyways, I guess the issues of GPRS L1/L2 should be left for 3GPP to
decide. I do not think we can fix any issues on design decisions of GPRS
link-characteristics here.

Cheers,

Jonne.
-----Original Message-----
From: ext Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 11:12 AM
To: Mattias Pettersson
Cc: Delecki Andrew-Y10658; 'Jari Arkko'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Cellular host requirements, 01 & next steps

Mattias Pettersson <[email-masked]> writes:
> Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
> > 
> > > Appendix A of the draft, uses text from 3GPP TS 23.060, Clause
9.2.1.1
> > > without any criticism.
> > 
> > The funniest thing of the 3GPP "stateless autoconf" is that GGSN
> > provides the "unique interface identifier" (an equivalent of an
EUI-64)
> > to the mobile as if the mobile would not know its own unique ID.
> 
> The reason for this, AFAIK, is to get rid of DAD on the GGSN side. If
> the GGSN hands out IDs from a pool it can easily keep control of what
> IDs are unused and DAD becomes a simple task.

Mattias, thank you for your remarks.

It looks to me that the whole autoconf/DAD idea has been designed with
a shared medium in mind.  However, I understand this "shareness" at
level 3, and not lower.  It's probably possible to design a 3GPP L2
under IP that makes an "unshared" L1/2 look like a "shared" media to
IP.

Alex

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Oct 2001 12:39:00 +0200

> link-characteristics here.

That's correct, this is not to be discussed here.  Thanks for all your
remarks, very useful for my understanding,

Alex