Subject: FW: [Tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-lite-00.txt

From: "Peter Barany"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:02:59 -0600

Hi,

For status of UDP-Lite, see bottom of this e-mail. Thanks.

Regards,

Pete

> So what should I do if I want to use IPv6, which mandates UDP checksums
> and requires receivers to discard UDP packets without checksums (i.e.
> with zero checksum)? I assume that there is also a mandate to discard
> UDP packets whose checksum is wrong, although I don't see that
> explicitly in either the UDP or IPv6 RFCs.

I've been told there is supposed to be work on something called UDP-lite
in TSVWG - the ability to have the UDP checksum cover some number of bytes
in the packet (like e.g. just the pseudo-header, UDP header, and RTP
header).
But I don't know how this work is progressing.

  Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 7:03 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-lite-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group
of the IETF.

	Title		: The UDP Lite Protocol
	Author(s)	: L. Larzon, M. Degermark
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-lite-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 25-Jan-02
	
This document describes the UDP Lite protocol, which is similar to
classic UDP [RFC-768], but can also serve applications which in lossy
network environments prefer to have partially damaged payloads
delivered rather than discarded.  If this feature is not used, UDP
Lite is semantically identical to classic UDP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-lite-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-lite-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-lite-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:25:45 -0600