Subject: IPv6 protocol switch implementation.

From: "sasson, shuki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:01:56 -0400

Hi all, we are designing an IPv6 stack for one of our product. We observed
the Free BSD code and came across the following phenomena:

The Free BSD code uses the same switch to call the call back of the protocol
themselves (like TCP,UDP) and also for processing header options (like
Fragmentation).

My question is:
1. Can we make the assumption that the IPv6 option header numbers and the
protocol numbers are aligned (meaning there is no and there will be no
overlap) and use the very same trick?
    (If the answer is No then I bet a lot of IPv6 implementations out there
have a buggy design...)

2. The same question for IPv4, specifically since IPSEC uses option header
too.

Thanks for your answer, 

Shuki Sasson
Principal Engineer, Network Storage Group
	EMC²  		
where information lives

Phone: 508 305 8515
FaxNo: 508 435 8901
Pager: 877 919 0794
Email:  [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:11:56 +0700

Date:        Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:01:56 -0400
    From:        "sasson, shuki" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <33CE6457C7003A478381BCD0B584DEC55EAD09@srmoon>

  | 1. Can we make the assumption that the IPv6 option header numbers and the
  | protocol numbers are aligned (meaning there is no and there will be no
  | overlap) and use the very same trick?

No trick... those numbers are assigned from the same number space,
so yes, you can make that assumption.

If you like, think of TCP/UDP/... as being just other IPv6 extension
headers (except ignorant ones that don't have a next header field...)

  | 2. The same question for IPv4, specifically since IPSEC uses option header
  | too.

Same number space, IPv4 & IPv6 share that one.   So, same answer.

kre

---

From: "Guru yeleswarapu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 07:33:16 -0700

Hi,
We are a chip company and looking at embedding ipv6 into our chip.
We are looking at the need of doing that by exploring who implemented
in what areas, how much is in use etc.,?

I appreciate if some one can throw light on what companies have already
implemented and how much efficinet it is from IPv4 and and related pointers

Thanks in advance
Gurumurthy Yeleswarapu

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:10:52 -0700

Guru,

There is an implementation page at

   http://playground.sun.com/ipv6

It not completely up to date, but should get you started.

Bob