Subject: I want a pretty IPv6 address to put on my fireplace this xmas

From: Joe Baptista <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 02:38:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi:

Some time ago I asked a number of questions concerning IPv6 for an
interview.  I want to thank all who participated and helped.  I will be
publishing the article here when it's up.

But I want to go one step further.  I want to test IPv6 out for myself.
And so far I have not had much luck finding an allocation.  I've visited
the 6bone and contacted some 6bone people about getting an allocation to
test for a future article.  they recommended i try 6to4 but i still need a
connection to the 6bone.  in any case i would rather connect directly to
the 6bone.  am i deluding myself in thinking this can be accomplished?

my local isp - a major canadian company has no idea what ipv6 is.

if someone here can provide me with a test address and a place to connect
that would be nice.

Cheers
Joe Baptista

--
Planet Communications & Computing Facility
a division of The dot.GOD Registry, Limited

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:09:28 -0400

> the 6bone.  am i deluding myself in thinking this can be accomplished?

	And what is the problem with FreeNet6 <http://www.freenet6.net>?

	I've set up a couple of accounts and have a /48 allocation
from them for my primary network and a couple of /64 P-P allocations for
some road-warrior testing.  It takes a couple of minutes to add an
account for an E-Mail address and then you just configure and run
the tsp package to get your allocation and fire up the tunnel.  I've
been using this under Linux for over 6 months to connect to the 6Bone.
There are even options to add reverse lookup name servers.  Unfortunately,
the 6Bone reverse name lookups use ip6.int and the production reverse
lookups use ip6.arpa.  AFAIK, no delegation has been installed for the
ip6.arpa reverse lookups for the 6Bone, so they are not going to
work reliably, anyways.

	I've only run into one real gotcha and it has nothing to do
with FreeNet6, directly.  Under Linux, if you are doing IPv6 routing
(IPv6 forwarding enabled), the Linux kernel ignores the ::/0 default
routes.  I had to modify the tsp template scripts to add a ::/1 route
for my default route back to freenet6 and for my routes from my subnet
routers back to my primary router.  Seems that this was done intentionally
to disallow people from accidentally routing site locals outside of the
site.  That only affects you if you are using Linux as a router and
you are getting a /48 prefix.  The FreeNet6 /64 allocations are P-P
only for a single host and not used to route a network so IPv6
forwarding on the Linux host would not be enabled for that and the
default ::/0 route would then work.

> my local isp - a major canadian company has no idea what ipv6 is.

	FreeNet6 is up in Canada, no less...  :-)

> if someone here can provide me with a test address and a place to connect

	Try them.  Trivial.

	Mike
-- 
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [email-masked]
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
  NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
 PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------