Subject: proxy ARP/IPv6 (fwd)

From: Abdul Basit <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:07:00 -0500 (CDT)

snaps of route are

maryo:/proc/sys/net/ipv6# ip -6 route
3ffe:8271:a026:feee::4 dev tap0  metric 1024  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
3ffe:8271:a026:feee::/64 dev ngc-maryo  metric 1024  mtu 1480 advmss 1420
fe80::/64 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
fe80::/64 dev eth1  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
fe80::/64 dev tap0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
fe80::/64 via :: dev ngc-maryo  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1480 advmss
1420
ff00::/8 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
ff00::/8 dev eth1  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
ff00::/8 dev tap0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
ff00::/8 dev ngc-maryo  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1480 advmss 1420
default dev ngc-maryo  metric 1024  mtu 1480 advmss 1420

ipv6-1:/# ip -6 route
3ffe:8271:a026:feee::/64 dev eth0  metric 1024  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
fe80::/10 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
ff00::/8 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
default dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500 advmss 1440
unreachable default dev lo  metric -1  error -101

if i ping6 from ipv6

ipv6-1:/# ping6 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::1
PING 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::1(3ffe:8271:a026:feee::1) from
3ffe:8271:a026:feee::4 : 56 data bytes
From ::1 icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
From ::1 icmp_seq=2 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
From ::1 icmp_seq=3 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

but
ipv6-1:/# ping6 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::3
PING 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::3(3ffe:8271:a026:feee::3) from
3ffe:8271:a026:feee::4 : 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.43 ms

--- 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::3 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.437/1.437/1.437/0.000 ms

Thanks
- basit
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:03:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: Abdul Basit <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: proxy ARP/IPv6

Hi,

 I was trying to setup up a proxy arp kind of thing for IPv6 host
here is the scenario

interface: eth0 	   interface: tap0
 ------------  via TUN/TAP  -------------
 |ipv6-1    | <-----------> |           | ------> [[[[ internet6]]]]]
 |          |		    | maryo     |
 |----------		    |___________|
ipv6-1 runs                 runs usagi 16sept02
vanilla linux 2.4.19

maryo can ping6 outside ipv6 hosts perfectly.
maryo has following interface(s):
eth0, tap0,ngc-maryo ...

nag-maryo(tunnel mode sit) : assigned 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::1
			     assigned 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::/64 route.
eth0(ethernet)		   : assigned 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::2
tap0(TUN/TAP)		   : assigned 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::3
                             assigned a route of host 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::4

(all these ip addresses can be directly reached by outside perfectly).

Now the ipv6-1 host has following interfaces
eth0 (TUN/TAP actually to tap0) : assigned 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::4
                                  assigned route 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::/64

Now  from the host ipv6-1 i can ping6 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::3 fine
but NOT 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::1 ? i assume , i need to setup some sort of
relay for neighhour discovery messages for 3ffe:8271:a026:feee

i tried ip -6 neigh add proxy 3ffe:8271:a026:feee::4 dev ngc-maryo / eth0
both, but don't seems to work.

Please help.

Thanks
- basit

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------