Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:52:57 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6
	Author(s)	: R. Gilligan, S. Thomson, J. Bound, 
                          J. McCann, W. Stevens
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-07.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 2002-9-19
	
The de facto standard application program interface (API) for TCP/IP
applications is the 'sockets' interface.  Although this API was
developed for Unix in the early 1980s it has also been implemented on
a wide variety of non-Unix systems.  TCP/IP applications written
using the sockets API have in the past enjoyed a high degree of
portability and we would like the same portability with IPv6
applications.  But changes are required to the sockets API to support
IPv6 and this memo describes these changes.  These include a new
socket address structure to carry IPv6 addresses, new address
conversion functions, and some new socket options.  These extensions
are designed to provide access to the basic IPv6 features required by
TCP and UDP applications, including multicasting, while introducing a
minimum of change into the system and providing complete
compatibility for existing IPv4 applications.  Additional extensions
for advanced IPv6 features (raw sockets and access to the IPv6
extension headers) are defined in another document [4].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-07.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553bis-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:29:39 +0300 (EEST)

> 	Title		: Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6
[...]

This is probably a dumb question, but is there must be a reason why these 
API's don't talk at all about ioctl's etc?  For example, I see no standard 
way of obtaining (all or some) of one's IPv6 addresses, or whatever else 
was useful with SIOC*.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------