Subject: Comment on RFC 1981-Path MTU Discovery for IPV6

From: "Liu xiao lian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 23:26:37 +0800

Referring to item 5.3, we think that the timestamp value need not be set
to "Reserved".

This is because we can just use the timestamp and the current time to
determine that the PMTU has expired.  For example, before sending out a
packet, the timer-based procedure should check whether the PMTU to be
used has expired based on the cached timestamp and current time.  If it
has expired indeed, then there are no packets should be sent out using
this PMTU.  The PMTU value should be reset to the MTU value of the first
hop and the PMTU discovery should be restarted.

We think the "Reserved" value can be removed to make the process of
detemining the stale PMTUs less complicated.

We welcome suggestions and comments. 

XiaoLian LIU
Computer Science School
USM 11800
Pulau Penang
Malaysia

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 04:55:45 +0000

Hi,

          Your suggestion is very much appreciated where you proposed to
not to initialize timestamp to 'reserved'. But the problem here is that
the timestamp should be initialize to a certain value. Otherwise the timestamp
value is set to null. How would you propose to set the timestamp value?
Is there any default value to the timestamp to indicate that the PMTU is
equal to the MTU of the 1st hop link?

Santiago,
System Engineer

>-- Original Message --
>From: "Liu xiao lian" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Cc: <[email-masked]>,
>        "'vasuki ponnusamy'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Comment on RFC 1981-Path MTU Discovery for IPV6
>Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 23:26:37 +0800
>
>

________________________________________
Dreaming of a Swiss Account? Get it here: http://freemail.swissinfo.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------