Subject: RFC2461(bis) Issue - LLAO's for NS/NA

From: Fred Templin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:34:40 -0700

In RFC 2461, section 7.2.2, the first sentence of the third
paragraph reads:

  "If the solicitation is being sent to a solicited-node multicast
   address, the sender MUST include its link-layer address (if it has
   one) as a Source Link-Layer Address option."

I believe this specification is correct, and I interpret the phrase
"(if it has one)" to mean that the SLLAO may be omitted (or,
may contain don't-care values) if the sender does not have a
link-layer address. However, the text of section 7.2.4 ("Sending
Solicited Neighbor Advertisements") does not account for the
case in which the responder does not have a link-layer address.

Suggested fix is to change the 4th sentence of the first paragraph
of section 7.2.4 to:

  "If the solicitation's IP Destination Address is a multicast address,
   the node MUST include its link-layer address (if it has one)
   as a Target Link-Layer Address option in the advertisement."

Fred
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:44:39 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:34:40 -0700, 
>>>>> Fred Templin <[email-masked]> said:

>    as a Target Link-Layer Address option in the advertisement."

The suggestion looks sane.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]