Subject: draft-jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery-01.txt

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 16:22:53 +0300

I would like to implement the above, but it is somewhat hard when
there is no assigned type code from IANA. What does it require for
IANA to assign a type code? (same goes with the preferred route
option).

In my view the router solicitation could be viewed as "service
solicitation", and in addition to normal routers answering with
prefixes, some other "services" could send their own replies with
their own options (like the DNS address), but without prefix
information.

Of course, single router box can do all answering, if desired.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "S. Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 08:46:02 +0900

> IANA to assign a type code? (same goes with the preferred route

AFAIC, RFC-Editor is responsible for the IANA assignment, thus
this draft must be accepted as working group draft in the IETF
in advance. You can assign your temporary number to implement it
in your lab or somewhere, of course it does not have interoperability.
Unfortunately, I (and somebody) am doing the same way as 
temporary Type of this option.

> Of course, single router box can do all answering, if desired.

Yep.

Thanks your interesting in this work as co-author of this draft.

- Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
- Mobile Platform Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.

---

From: "Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 10:45:11 +0900

First of all, thanks for your interest.

Recently, DNSOP working group decided to write an Information RFC
describing "IPv6 Host Configuration of DNS Server Information Approaches";
a) RA option, b) DHCPv6 option, and c) Well-known anycast addresses.

After this RFC is published, I hope that our RA option draft will be discussed in DNSOP
or IPv6 working group.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Markku Savela" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 10:22 PM
Subject: draft-jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery-01.txt

> IANA to assign a type code? (same goes with the preferred route

I agree with Daniel's opinion that you can use a temporary value.

> their own options (like the DNS address), but without prefix

I agree with you. However, I think that RA option of DNS server address should be
along with prefix information option at the same period. Otherwise, we need a way
to indicate the wanted option in RS message, e.g., through a new flag in the reserved field.
I am not sure that IPv6 wg agrees with this.

Thanks.

Paul

>  D� ���x �������x%��b���z���)��ڶ+�E�z�l��i����
bz���j)fj��b��?���