Subject: DNS support in the Node Requirements draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:11:06 +0300

Hi all,

Based upon some discussion regarding a DISCUSS during IESG review, I am 
updating section 5.2 DNS

Current text says:

   DNS, as described in [RFC-1034], [RFC-1035], [RFC-3152], [RFC-3363]
   and [RFC-3596] MAY be supported.  Not all nodes will need to resolve
   names. All nodes that need to resolve names SHOULD implement stub-
   resolver [RFC-1034] functionality, in RFC 1034 section 5.3.1 with
   support for:

    - AAAA type Resource Records [RFC-3596];
    - reverse addressing in ip6.arpa using PTR records [RFC-3152];
    - EDNS0 [RFC-2671] to allow for DNS packet sizes larger than 512
      octets.

Suggested new text is:

   DNS, is described in [RFC-1034], [RFC-1035], [RFC-3152], [RFC-3363]
   and [RFC-3596].  Not all nodes will need to resolve names, and
   those that will never need to resolve DNS names do not need to
   implement resolver functionality.  However, the ability to resolve
   names is a basic infrastructure capability that applications rely
   on and generally needs to be supported.  All nodes that need to 
   resolve names SHOULD implement stub-resolver [RFC-1034] functionality, 
   in RFC 1034 section 5.3.1 with support for:

    - AAAA type Resource Records [RFC-3596];
    - reverse addressing in ip6.arpa using PTR records [RFC-3152];
    - EDNS0 [RFC-2671] to allow for DNS packet sizes larger than 512
      octets.

Let me know if this causes anyone any trouble.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------