Subject: draft-ietf-ipv6-over-ppp-v2-01 comments

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:54:46 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

(Resend.) A few quick comments. Thanks for fixing the nits.

It MAY also be redundant to
      perform DAD on any global unicast addresses created (using an
      Interface-Identifier that is either negotiated during IPV6CP or
      generated, for instance, as per [9]) for the interface as part of
      the IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration protocol [3] provided
      that the following two conditions are met: 
    
     1) The prefixes advertised, through the Router Advertisement     
        messages, by the access router terminating the PPP link are
        exclusive to the PPP link.

      2) The access router terminating the PPP link does not 
         autoconfigure any IPv6 global unicast addresses from the
         prefixes that it advertises.

==> I've a concern about this.  How does the host know 1) or 2)?  It just
can't -- a host could be deployed on a link (e.g., 3GPP, 3GPP2) where this
is case, as a matter of deployment.  Then it could be deployed on a PPP link
(e.g., to a regular ISP) where this isn't a case.  This doesn't seem to be
something the node could algorithmically check.. so I'm a bit concerned.

Maybe this needs a bit of text that the following DAD omission is only
applicable on special-purpose nodes which cannot be attached to generic PPP
links?  Or how do you differentiate PPP links which conform to these or not?

8. Normative References

   [6]   Hinden, R., and S. Deering, "IP Version 6 Addressing
         Architecture", RFC 3513, July 1998.

  [8]   Narten T., and C. Burton, "A Caution On The Canonical Ordering
         Of Link-Layer Addresses,ö RFC 2469, December 1998.

   [9]   Narten T., and R. Draves, "Privacy Extensions for Stateless
         Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6,ö RFC 3041, January 2001.

==> these need to be over at Informative References side, because they
aren't at least Draft Standards or BCPs.  

==> actually, this document should possibly have to wait for the addr-arch
revision to draft standard, because this includes a lot of Interface-ID
generation stuff which is pretty generic and was under dispute at Robert
Elz's appeal..

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------