Subject: Resolving Russ Housley's DISCUSSes on Node Requirements, part 3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 02:36:24 +0300

Russ's third point is:

  I believe that the 1st paragraph of section 8.4 needs further explanation.
  A security association is  identified by a triple consisting of a Security
  Parameter Index (SPI), an IP Destination Address, and a security protocol
  identifier (either AH or ESP).  So, manual key management involves a
  bit more than inserting the same cryptographic key in communicating peers.
  This document should not specify how that is done, but it should indicate
  that it needs to be done.

Suggested text to add:

	An implementation MUST support the manual configuration of the
	security key and SPI.  The SPI configuration is needed in order
	to delineate between multiple keys.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------