Subject: RE: Section 6.1 of draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:04:37 -0500

Thomas,

> IMO, what you should do is write an ID, and take it to the appropriate
> WG. If you can't find interest, you probably should drop the idea.

If the WG accepts my idea or IESG approves it as an individual
draft, it becomes an internal (for IETF) request and then point
3 of section 6.1 does not apply.  The ICMP type assignment could
be done with the policy mentioned in point 1 and 2 of section 6.1.

> I'm not a fan of allowing the use of ICMP for non IETF-sponsored
> efforts. There are lots of other protocols (e.g., UDP) that can just
> as easily be used in the vast majority of cases.

Are you saying that we should remove point 3 from section 6.1
completely ??

Regards
Mukesh

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:36:52 -0700

> Are you saying that we should remove point 3 from section 6.1

That would be my preference.

Thomas