Subject: source address selection and address lifetimes

From: Grubmair Peter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:48:06 +0200

In RFC3484 source address selection is described,
which selects a source address from a candidate
set by defining a total ordering onto the addresses.
Typically (RCOMMENDED) the candidate set consist of just the addresses
assigned to the outgoing interface.
In case that all global addresses assigned to that
interface expired (valid lifetime out), source address selection as
described
in RFC3484 chapter 5 will happily return the link-local address.
Packets will be sent, but nothing can be returned if
destination was not onlink!
Therefore the candidate set should not contain link-local addresses
for global addresses, which are not onlink, and the case of an
empty candidate set has to be handled (e.g. some destination unreachable).
Any comments ?
   Peter

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------