Subject: [rfc2462bis #597] multicast/MLD reference issues

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:38:43 +0900

(I tried to send this through the issue tracker, but it appears to
have failed...)

Proposed Resolution:

- add a reference to RFC3810 as well as to RFC2710

- make a small modification to the 5th paragraph of section 5.4.2 to:

Note that when a node joins a multicast address, it typically sends
a Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) report message [RFC2710] for
the multicast address. In the case of Duplicate Address Detection
the MLD report message is required in order to inform MLD-snooping
switches, rather than routers, to forward multicast packets. In
the above description, the delay for joining the multicast address
thus means delaying transmission of the corresponding MLD report
message [RFC2710]. Since [RFC2710] does not request a random delay
to avoid race conditions, just delaying Neighbor Solicitation would
cause congestion by the MLD report messages. The congestion would
then prevent the MLD-snooping switches from working correctly, and,
as a result, prevent Duplicate Address Detection from working. The
requirement to include the delay for the MLD report in this case
avoids this scenario. [RFC3590] specifies which source address
should be used for the MLD report when no valid local addresses has
yet been configured.

See the following link and its follow-ups for more details:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg03386.html

I'm going to close the issue with the change. If anyone of you have
an objection, please speak up ASAP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------