Subject: Editorial nits on draft-daley-ipv6-tsllao-00.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:46:46 -0700 (PDT)

Section 2.2:
   Some routers may choose to send a multicast response to devices which
   send Router Solicitations without SLLAOs when they do not have an
   existing neighbour cache entry.  If a router does not understand
   Tentative Source Link-Layer Address Options, it MAY send a multicast
   solicitation in preference to sending Neighbour Solicitation packets
s/solicitation/advertisement/

Section 3.2:
   If the advertisement is to be sent to the solicitor's unicast
   address, the node will consult its existing neighbour cache for the
   solicitor's information, and if not present, will undertake neighbour
   discovery.
s/neighbor discovery/address resolution/

Section 3.2:
   Receiving a Tentative Source Link-Layer Address Option, avoids this
   neighbour discovery step, by allowing the host to create or update a
   matching entry, setting it to STALE state if it didn't previously
   exist.
"update a matching entry" can't be correct, since the TSLLAO can't override
an existing entry.

Section 3.5
   Such nodes MAY send a responding NA message as if it did not
   understand the TSLLAO message.
s/TSLLAO message/TSLLAO option/

  Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 13:16:53 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2004 9:46 am
Subject: Editorial nits on draft-daley-ipv6-tsllao-00.txt

> Section 2.2:
>   Some routers may choose to send a multicast response to devices 
> which   send Router Solicitations without SLLAOs when they do not 
> have an
>   Tentative Source Link-Layer Address Options, it MAY send a 
> multicast   solicitation in preference to sending Neighbour 
> Solicitation packets

Thanks.

>   solicitor's information, and if not present, will undertake 
> neighbour   discovery.

Thanks.
I guess I was confusing the goal with the method.
 
> "update a matching entry" can't be correct, since the TSLLAO can't 
> overridean existing entry.

OK. I think I've been imprecise.

What I think I was talking about was 'this is a TSLLAO from
the same IP Address/MAC address --> matching address'

Obviously we should update these entries (if the SEND CGA keys
are the same), but when we have a new entry there's no 'matching
entry'

How about:

"...
Receiving a Tentative Source Link-Layer Address Option, avoids this
neighbour discovery step, by allowing the host to create 
neighbour cache entry, setting it to STALE state if it didn't previously
exist.
..."

In this case, updating NC state isn't needed (except if the entry is 
incomplete on the peer).

> s/TSLLAO message/TSLLAO option/

Thanks.

Greg

I'll incoprorate the canges once we'd got agreement on the above.