Subject: Re: IPv6 WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-04.txt

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:48:10 +0900

A response to an old message, but I'm doing so since this was covered
in today's meeting...

>>>>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:34:26 -0700, 
>>>>> Fred Templin <[email-masked]> said:

>   "As much of invoking packet as will fit without the
>    ICMPv6 packet exceeding the minimum IPv6 MTU"

> (A variation of this phrase also appears in section 2.4 (c),
> accompanied by an even stronger "MUST include".)

> In each of these instances, I would like to see: "will fit"
> replaced by "possible", as in:

>   "As much of invoking packet as possible without the
>    ICMPv6 packet exceeding the minimum IPv6 MTU"

> Reason is that: "will fit" is redundant with: "without ... exceeding
> the minimum IPv6 MTU". Secondly, "will fit" when accompanied
> by "MUST include as much of the IPv6 offending (invoking) packet"
> in section 2.4 (c)  seems to presume that all implementations will
> be able to efficiently access up to 1280 bytes of the offending packet
> when generating the error, and in some cases this may not be possible.

Just checking: which "cases" do you specifically mean that "this may
not be possible"?

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------