Subject: Resolving Russ Housley's DISCUSSes on Node Requirements, part 1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 02:27:54 +0300

Russ has 3 points in his DISCUSS on the Node Requirements.  Here are
the resolution for them, I need to check with the WG if these proporsals
are OK:

Russ Housley:

Discuss:
  I had many, many comments on section 8.3.  My comments were longer
  than the section itself.  Given that, I decided to provide replacement
  text instead of the comments.  The basis of most of these changes is
  alignment with draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-ah-algorithms-01, which is has just
  been forwarded to the IESG by the IPsec WG.  Here is my proposed text:

    Current IPsec RFCs specify the support of transforms and algorithms
    for use with AH and ESP: NULL encryption, DES-CBC, HMAC-SHA-1-96,
    and HMAC-MD5-96.  However, "Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation
    Requirements For ESP And AH" [CRYPTREQ] contains the  current set
    of mandatory to implement algorithms for ESP and AH.  It also
    specifies algorithms that should be implemented because they
    are likely to be promoted to mandatory at some future time.  IPv6
    nodes SHOULD conform to the requirements in [CRYPTREQ] as well as
    the requirements specified below.

    Since ESP encryption and authentication are both optional, support for
    the NULL encryption algorithm [RFC-2410] and the NULL authentication
    algorithm [RFC-2406] MUST be provided to maintain consistency with
    the way these services are negotiated. However, while authentication
    and encryption can each be NULL, they MUST NOT both be NULL.  The
    NULL encryption algorithm is also useful for debugging.

    The DES-CBC encryption algorithm [RFC-2405] SHOULD NOT be supported
    within ESP.  Security issues related to the use of DES are discussed
    in [DESDIFF], [DESINT], [DESCRACK].  DES-CBC is still listed as
    required by the existing IPsec RFCs, but updates to these RFCs will
    be published soon.  DES provides 56 bits of protection, which is no
    longer considered sufficient.

    The use of HMAC-SHA-1-96 algorithm [RFC-2404] within AH and ESP MUST
    be supported.  The use of HMAC-MD5-96 algorithm [RFC-2403] within AH
    and ESP MAY also be supported.

    The 3DES-CBC encryption algorithm [RFC-2451] does not suffer from the
    same security issues as DES-CBC, and the 3DES-CBC algorithm within
    ESP MUST MUST be supported to ensure interoperability.
   
    The AES-128-CBC algorithm [RFC-3602] MUST also be supported within
    ESP.  AES-128 is expected to be a widely available, secure, and 
    efficient algorithm.  While AES-128-CBC is not required by the
    current IPsec RFCs, it is expected to become required in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------