Subject: Question about Section 5.4 in RFC 2462bis-05.txt

From: "Barany, Pete" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:19:56 -0700

Quick question regarding the following sentence in Section 5.4 of RFC
2462bis-05.txt:

"Note that the method for detecting duplicates is not completely
reliable, and it is possible that duplicate addresses will still exist
(e.g., if the link was partitioned while Duplicate Address Detection was
performed."

What exactly is meant by "if the link was partitioned"? Is the intent to
account for networks where the L bit is not set in prefix information
option of RAs (i.e., the same /64 could be found on two different
links)? Thnx.

- Pete

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:02:24 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:19:56 -0700, 
>>>>> "Barany, Pete" <[email-masked]> said:

> option of RAs (i.e., the same /64 could be found on two different

In my understanding the intent of the above text is not relevant to
prefix information.  The intended scenario would probably include an
ethernet link which is temporarily divided into two segments due to
hub/switch failure.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]