Subject: [rfc2462bis #596] definition of "multicast-capable"

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:37:26 +0900

(I tried to send this through the issue tracker, but it appears to
have failed...)

Proposed resolution:

- replace "multicast interface" with "multicast-capable interface" in
  Section 5.1
- modify the definition of "link" in Section 2 a little bit like:

link - a communication facility or medium over which nodes can
  communicate at the link layer, i.e., the layer immediately below
  IP. Examples are Ethernets (simple or bridged); PPP links; X.25,
  Frame Relay, or ATM networks; and internet (or higher) layer
  "tunnels", such as tunnels over IPv4 or IPv6 itself. The links
  on which the protocol used in this document are specified in
  [RFC2461].

(or s/[RFC2461]/[rfc2461bis]/ if and when necessary)

See the following link for more details:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg03384.html

I'm going to close this issue with the proposed resolution.
If anyone of you have an objection, please speak up ASAP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Elwyn Davies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:29:10 +0100

Unfortunately the links are not specified - 2461 says ND applies to all
links unless the link specific doc says otherwise (see the Intro to
2461/2461bis).

So I suggest in place of..
The links on which the protocol used in this document are specified in
[RFC2461].

use..
This protocol will be used on all types of links unless specified otherwise
in the link type specific document describing how to operate IP(v6) on the
link in line with [RFC2461/2461bis].

I am hoping that the definition of multicast-capable will be refined in
2461bis and it should then be referenced in 2462bis.

Regards,
Elwyn
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 20 August 2004 16:37
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [rfc2462bis #596] definition of "multicast-capable"
> 
>