Subject: RE: M=1/O=0 is not valid in full 3315 ?

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:10:29 -0700

> Besides, as jinmei indicated earlier as editor of 2462bis, M flag (ON)
> indicated that the host (should) use the stateful protocol for address
> autoconfiguration. This should mean the M flag (ON) indicates
> Solicit/Advertise/Request/Reply.

I disagree with the "host should use" part of this statement. We reached
a consensus on this point in previous discussion. The consensus is "the
M=1 flag indicates that the host MAY use the stateful protocol for
address autoconfiguration" -- i.e., that this protocol is available
should the host decide to use it.

-- Christian Huitema 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "S. Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:26:19 +0900

> should the host decide to use it.

Yes, so this draft says as below;

M/O flags *indicate* whether the Stateful/Stateless DHCPv6 protocol
services are available, but they *should not be used* as triggers to
invoke the Stateful/Stateless DHCPv6 autoconfiguration protocols.

I am sure what I concern is same as yours.

Regards.

- Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
- Mobile Platform Lab. Samsung Electronics.

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:04:04 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:10:29 -0700, 
>>>>> "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]> said:

> should the host decide to use it.

Just for clarification, I actually said:

- we originally thought (in RFC2462) that the M flag (when ON)
  indicated that the host (should) use the stateful protocol **for
  address autoconfiguration**.  This should mean the M flag (when ON)
  indicates Solicit/Advertise/Request/Reply. (i.e, the interpretation
  of choice 2)
  (Perhaps Greg intended this as "goals of original flags" in San
  Diego?)

Please note the word "originally" and the sets of parenthesis around
"in RFC2462" and "should".  I just talked about what was described in
RFC2462.  To rephrase the above bullet carefully addressing your
concern, it would be:

- we originally thought in RFC2462 that the M flag (when ON) indicated
  that the host should use the stateful protocol **for address
  autoconfiguration**.  We loosened the requirement in rfc2462bis so
  that the flag (when ON) simply means the availability of the
  protocol **for address autoconfiguration**.  In any case, those
  should mean the M flag (when ON) indicates
  Solicit/Advertise/Request/Reply. (i.e, the interpretation of choice
  2)

That is, I just tried to point out that the purpose of the M flag has
been stateful **address autoconfiguration** however strict the
requirement is (or even whether it's any kind of requirement or just
an indication of availability).

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]