Subject: [2462bis issue 595] mixture of stateless-addrconf-specific and other general topics

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:38:07 +0900

(The issue is now recorded at
https://rt.psg.com/ which can be viewed with login/passwd=ietf/ietf)

>>>>> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:43:04 +0100, 
>>>>> "Elwyn Davies" <[email-masked]> said:

> The thinking (admittedly very late in the day) is that a large part of the
> document is actually about processes common to stateless and stateful
> (global) address auto-config - DAD, link local address auto-config and
> address lifetime management are all common and the 'other config' stuff is
> orthogonal to both - only a relatively small part is about global address
> stateless auto-config.

I'd first like to make some clarifications here.  The creation of
link-local addresses is definitely a part of the "stateless"
protocol.  Some part of address lifetime issues are also specific to
statefully autoconfigured addresses (as we discussed separately).

> I am happy to accept the concensus but maybe it is
> getting time for an overview of ICMPv6 tied in the with M/O policy stuff.

> Might I suggest as a compromise, altering the first sentence of s5.5.4
> (5.5.4 and subsequent sections apply to all addresses):
> A preferred address, whether created by stateless or stateful
> autoconfiguration, becomes deprecated...

IMO, all these things are a cost-benefit tradeoff.

Regarding the benefit, I pesonally don't see much of it - I honestly
think the current text and document organization are not so confusing
on the "mixture" of stateless-addrconf-specific and other general
topics.

But if the cost is small, it might make sense to change the text (I've
actually done that for some of the other points you raised).  I'm not
sure if the cost is acceptable in this case: if we could simply change
the first sentence of Section 5.5.4, I think we can do that.  But as
you said above, we'll probably need to find all similar phrases and
modify them.  And if we fail that, the result would rather be worse
due to the inconsistent use of phrases.

I admit I could underestimate the benefit (or in other words the
possible problem of the current text), so I'd like to hear from
others.  If many others want the change, I'll try to address this
point.  Otherwise, I'd like to not touch the current text.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:43:20 +0900

>>>>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:38:07 +0900, 
>>>>> JINMEI Tatuya <[email-masked]> said:

> statefully autoconfigured addresses (as we discussed separately).
  ^^^^^^^^^^
Oops, I meant "statelessly" here, of course.

					JINMEI, Tatuya