Subject: Flags in router advts

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:09:29 -0500

Hello,

I-D draft-haberman-ipv6-ra-flags-option-xx proposes to extend the IPv6
Neighbor Discovery's Router Advertisement message.

With Proxy MIP6 specification work now being done in the Netlmm WG, there is
a need to advertise the support for network based mobility (PMIP6
capability) to a host when it attaches via a flag in the RA. A host may
prefer to not have the access network emulate its home link and hence by
knowing that PMIP6 is enabled in the network (via the RA), it can request a
prefix or address that is local to the network.
It also allows a host to manage its own mobility (a Mobile IPv6 capable MN)
in case it chooses to do so. This is possible only when the MN is aware of
the network being capable of managing its mobility.

So extending the RA message to include new flags is required.

-Raj

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------