Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IPv6 Node Requirements RFC 4294-bis
	Author(s)       : J. Loughney
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2008-02-07

This document defines requirements for IPv6 nodes.  It is expected
that IPv6 will be deployed in a wide range of devices and situations.
Specifying the requirements for IPv6 nodes allows IPv6 to function
well and interoperate in a large number of situations and
deployments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:00:38 -0600

Hi all,

I have updated this draft. I had to wrestle with the nroff to get it
into xml.  I spent
too much time with that, so I ended up mostly updating the references
and fixing the errata.

I have not done to much editorial control, checking on what has changed
on the many RFC
updates since this was issued.  That is my next task, I will try to spin
a quick revision.

John

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 11 February, 2008 12:30
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-00.txt 
>
>This document defines requirements for IPv6 nodes.  It is 
>expected that IPv6 will be deployed in a wide range of devices 
>and situations.
>Specifying the requirements for IPv6 nodes allows IPv6 to 
>function well and interoperate in a large number of situations 
>and deployments.
>
>To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a 
>message to [email-masked] with the word 
>unsubscribe in the body of the message.
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login 
>with the username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail 
>address. After logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or 
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail 
>reader implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII 
>version of the Internet-Draft.
>

---

From: "Vishwas Manral" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:33:35 -0800

Hi John,

The draft states:

   The DES-CBC encryption algorithm [28] SHOULD NOT be supported within
   ESP.  Security issues related to the use of DES are discussed in
   'DESDIFF', 'DESINT', and 'DESCRACK'.  DES-CBC is still listed as
   required by the existing IPsec RFCs, but updates to these RFCs will
   be published in the near future.  DES provides 56 bits of protection,
   which is no longer considered sufficient.

You reference RFC4835 and the RFC already makes DES-CBC as a
SHOULD-NOT. I think you can totally remove this section. As the IPsec
RFC already talks about it.

The draft states:

   Since ESP encryption and authentication are both optional, support
   for the NULL encryption algorithm [27] and the NULL authentication
   algorithm [24] MUST be provided to maintain consistency with the way
   these services are negotiated.

The IPsec RFC clearly states that NULL authentication algorithm is now
a MAY and not a MUST - from RFC4303 the below:

   However, this standard does not
   require ESP implementations to offer an encryption-only service.

Thanks,
Vishwas

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:12:01 +1300

John,

Thanks for taking this on.

Please can we have a list of changes from RFC 4294, as a permanent
Appendix (i.e., not to be removed by the RFC Editor)?

At the moment it's very hard to spot the changes, even with a diff,
especially since you changed from symbolic to numeric references.

  Brian

---

From: "Vishwas Manral" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:32:30 -0800

Hi Brian,

You actually bring a very important issue.

As a protocol implementor, I feel we need to keep track of changes for
all RFC's and drafts. As we support one version of the RFC or draft
the document changes so often these days. It is hard to keep track of
all changes done to a document from a particular version.

Thanks,
Vishwas

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:35:23 -0600

Hi Brian,

I will fix the references, I had some issues with them when converting
from
nroff to xml.  I have the fix.  I will also create a list of changes as
well,
that is a good point.

John 

>From: ext Brian E Carpenter [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 21 February, 2008 19:12
>To: Loughney John (Nokia-OCTO/PaloAlto)
>Cc: 6man
>Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis-00.txt
>
>John,
>
>Please can we have a list of changes from RFC 4294, as a 
>permanent Appendix (i.e., not to be removed by the RFC Editor)?
>
>At the moment it's very hard to spot the changes, even with a 
>diff, especially since you changed from symbolic to numeric references.
>
>  Brian
>
>