Subject: Protocol Action: 'Negotiation for IPv6 datagram compression using IPv6 Control Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:48:18 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Negotiation for IPv6 datagram compression using IPv6 Control Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-ipv6-compression-nego-v2-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-compression-nego-v2-02.txt

Technical Summary
 
  The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method of 
  encapsulating Network Layer protocol information over  
  point-to-point links.  PPP also defines an extensible Link Control  
  Protocol, and proposes a family of Network Control Protocols  
  (NCPs) for establishing and configuring different network-layer  
  protocols. 
       
  The IPv6 Control Protocol (IPv6CP), which is an NCP for a PPP 
  link, allows for the negotiation of desirable parameters for the 
  IPv6 interface over PPP.  This specification defines the compression
  parameter for use in IPv6 datagram compression over PPP. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
  This document was created as a result of WG discussion on advancing
  IPv6-over-PPP to Draft Standard.  The shepherd's view is that this 
  document has strong consensus in the WG.

Protocol Quality
 
  This document has been reviewed by members of the IPv6 working
  group, the IPv6 working group chairs, and the chair of the
  PPPEXT working group.

  Jari Arkko has reviewed this specification for the IESG. The 
  specification has also once already been in the IESG review in
  2007, and was returned due to the need to separate the parts
  that advance to DS and these parts (that do not satisfy the
  DS advancement criteria).

Note to RFC Editor

  Remove text from Section 2.1 as follows:
  OLD:
    [14] for IPv6 Header Compression (004f),

  And remove reference [14].

  Replace the IANA Considerations section with the following text:

    No specific action is needed for the assignment of a
    value for the Type field of IPv6 datagram compression
    option specified in this specification. The current
    assignment is up-to-date  in the registry
    "PPP IPV6CP CONFIGURATION OPTIONS " for item
    IPv6-Compression-Protocol (2) at [4]. However, the
    RFC reference for that item should be changed to
    XXXX (the RFC number for this RFC).

    No action is needed either for the assignment of the
    IPV6-Compression-Protocol values, as such values have
    already been defined by other documents listed in
    Section 2.1. Values for this field are always the
    same as the PPP Data Link Layer Protocol field
    values for that same compression protocol. As a
    result, future allocation of these values is governed
    by RFC 3818 [8] that requires IETF Consensus.
    Current values are are in the registry
    "IPv6-Compression-Protocol Types". However, the
    RFC reference for that registry should be changed to
    XXXX (the RFC number for this RFC).

  Please add a new section after the IANA Considerations section:

  X. Management Considerations

  From an operational point of view the status of the negotiation
  and the compression algorithm on the link should be observable
  by an operator managing a network. There is no standard
  management interface that covers this at the time of the 
  writing of this specification.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------