Subject: toward sloving the address selection problems

From: Arifumi Matsumoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:15:06 +0900

Folks,

Now that draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-sol was approved as an 6man wg
item, I'd like to start discussion about which one we should standardize.

The applicability comparison figure in section 4.1 shows that each
mechanism has different applicability domain and the conclusion is
that a right solution should be adopted in the right place.

That doesn't mean we should standardize all the mechanisms described
in this draft, but IMHO the best mechanism should be standardized if we
are motivated enough to solve the address selection problems in one
or multiple cases.

When we looked at the above-mentioned figure, we know that shim6 is
almost ready and shim6 is suitable for rather dynamically changing
and unmanaged network. However, for enterprise/soho network and
consumer network, we don't have a standardized way of solving address
selection problems described in the problem statement draft.

As I presented at Vancouver, 
( http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/07dec/slides/6man-9.pdf : page4)
one of our motivations is to replace a NAT-box aided IPv4 site that
is attached to multiple disjoint network with an address selection
mechiansim aided IPv6 network.
In this case, the topology of the network is very static and hosts
at the downstream of the NAT box is not always managed.

From our analysis, policy distribution method seems to best meet
the requirements and, moreover, this was most discussed at v6ops
and supported by many people.

I remember dhc chairs are ready to welcome this proposal if this is 
accepted by ipv6 people.
I'd like to have everyone's comments on moving this mechiansm forward
to dhc working group.

-- 
Arifumi Matsumoto
    IP Technology Expert Team
    Secure Communication Project
    NTT Information Sharing Platform Laboratories
    E-mail: [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------