Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] IPoIB/DHCP

From: "Larsen, Roy K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:09:14 -0800

Kanoj,

I tend to agree.  The client-id issues was thrashed on the list and it
basically devolved to what was stated in the last paragraph of 2.1

"This document does not preclude the use of other 'client identifier' type,
such as fully qualified domain name(FQDN) or the EUI-64 value associated
with the interface."

However, the QPN+GID *IS* the IPoIB MAC address so it technically fits the
bill.  However, for the reasons you state, we do not plan on using in our
implementation.

Roy

-----Original Message-----
From: Kanoj Sarcar [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 9:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipoverib] IPoIB/DHCP

Hi,

I have an issue with section 2.1 of
draft-ietf-ipoib-dhcp-over-infiniband-04.txt.
I think it should be reworded to allow the following two formats for the
client-id:

     Code  Len   Type  Client-Identifier
   +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+
   |  61 | 21  |  0  | Unique-value(4 octets) |   GID (16 octets)          |
   +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+

    Code  Len   Type  Client-Identifier
   +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+
   |  61 | 21  |  32 | QPN  (4 octets) |   GID (16 octets)          |
   +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+

Note that if the 20 byte client identifier does not represent the MAC
address
of the interface, the type should be 0. The type can be 32 only if the mac
address is being used as the identifier.

In fact, I doubt the neccesity of specifying the second format, since it
represents
an unstable address (QPN), which is likely to change whenever a port is 
rebooted.

For the rationale, please see section 9.14 of RFC 2132:
"A hardware type of 0 (zero) should be used when the value field
contains an identifier other than a hardware address (e.g. a fully
qualified domain name)."

Thanks.

Kanoj
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib