Subject: [Ipoverib] IPoIB/DHCP

From: Kanoj Sarcar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 21:06:41 -0800

Hi,

I have an issue with section 2.1 of draft-ietf-ipoib-dhcp-over-infiniband-04.txt.
I think it should be reworded to allow the following two formats for the client-id:

     Code  Len   Type  Client-Identifier
   +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+
   |  61 | 21  |  0  | Unique-value(4 octets) |   GID (16 octets)          |
   +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+

    Code  Len   Type  Client-Identifier
   +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+
   |  61 | 21  |  32 | QPN  (4 octets) |   GID (16 octets)          |
   +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-------------------....----+

Note that if the 20 byte client identifier does not represent the MAC address
of the interface, the type should be 0. The type can be 32 only if the mac
address is being used as the identifier.

In fact, I doubt the neccesity of specifying the second format, since it represents
an unstable address (QPN), which is likely to change whenever a port is 
rebooted.

For the rationale, please see section 9.14 of RFC 2132:
"A hardware type of 0 (zero) should be used when the value field
contains an identifier other than a hardware address (e.g. a fully
qualified domain name)."

Thanks.

Kanoj
_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib