Subject: IPP> PWG IPP WG Charter - approved by PWG Steering Committee Variance

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:26:58 -0800

Hi folks,                                         Friday (18 March 2005)

At yesterday's IEEE/ISTO PWG Steering Committee telecon, the PWG IPP WG
charter was unanimously approved.

The final text is now posted at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/charter/ch-ipp-charter-20050317.htm

The significant change is that EVERY revision to an existing IETF or PWG
IPP document or development of a new IETF or PWG IPP spec requires that
a work item has first been approved by the PWG Steering Committee (in
response to Lee Farrell's excellent criticism of earlier drafts).

In conformance with PWG Process/2.0, below is our rationale for approval
of this charter by PWG Steering Committee Variance rather than by PWG
Formal Approval (voting by all PWG members).

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rationale for approval of the PWG IPP WG charter by PWG SC Variance:

(1) Over the past eight years the IETF-chartered IPP WG developed IETF
standards-track and informational documents in collaboration with the
IEEE/ISTO Printer Working Group.

(2) Over the past five years the IEEE/ISTO PWG has developed and adopted
seven PWG IPP Candidate Standards (i.e., the 5100.x series).

(3) Therefore, by approving this PWG IPP WG charter, the IEEE/ISTO PWG
Steering Committee is formalizing the existing defacto PWG IPP WG.

------------------------------------------------------------------------