Subject: IPP> Revised IPP WG Charter - please comment ASAP

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:13:03 -0800

Hi folks,                                        Thursday (3 March 2005)

Based on our discussion at today's PWG Steering Committee telecon, I've
revised the proposed PWG IPP WG charter and posted it at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ipp-charter-20050303.htm

The significant change is that EVERY revision to an existing IETF or PWG
IPP document or development of a new IETF or PWG IPP document requires a
work item has first been approved by the PWG Steering Committee (in
response to Lee Farrell's excellent criticism of the previous draft).

The PWG Steering Committee should adopt this PWG IPP WG charter at their
next telecon on Thursday (17 March 2005), unless further revisions are
necessary after comments on the IPP mailing list.

Below is some text to justify accelerated adoption of this charter by
PWG Steering Committee variance rather than by PWG Formal Approval.

Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rationale for adoption of PWG IPP WG charter by PWG SC Variance:

(1) Over the past eight years the IETF-chartered IPP WG developed IETF
standards-track and informational documents in collaboration with the
IEEE/ISTO Printer Working Group.

(2) Over the past five years the IEEE/ISTO PWG has developed and adopted
seven PWG IPP Candidate Standards (i.e., the 5100.x series).

(3) By adopting this PWG IPP WG charter, the IEEE/ISTO PWG Steering
Committee is simply formalizing the existing defacto PWG IPP WG.