Subject: IPP> Media Surface characteristics

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:09:17 -0700

In the IPP Production Print Attributes - Set 1, 
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippprodprint10-20010212-5100.3.pdf
Page 47, 3.13.10 we describe Job Template attributes which augment the IPP 
media definitions including "media-front-coating" and 
"media-back-coating".
These are likewise reflected in the PWG Semantic Model v1.0 
MediaWellKnownValues.xsd as "MediaCoatingWKV".
        </xsd:simpleType>
        <xsd:simpleType name="MediaCoatingWKV">
                <xsd:restriction base="xsd:NMTOKEN">
                        <xsd:maxLength value="255"/>
                        <xsd:enumeration value="none"/>
                        <xsd:enumeration value="glossy"/>
                        <xsd:enumeration value="high-gloss"/>
                        <xsd:enumeration value="semi-gloss"/>
                        <xsd:enumeration value="satin"/>
                        <xsd:enumeration value="matte"/>
                </xsd:restriction>
        </xsd:simpleType>

Three questions to be considered

1. In use, it seems what we really wanted to convey is "surface 
characteristics". By labeling the element "coating" and including the 
value "none", there is an implication that coating is necessary and it 
leaves NO WAY to represent surface characteristics of a NON-COATED media. 
For example, in paper, it is possible to achieve a high gloss via high 
pressure calendaring (no coating... but results in shiny surface". IS IT 
ACCEPTED PROPER INTERPRETATION TO USE MediaCoatingWKV to mean media 
surface characteristics, in general, coated or not? 
2. If the answer to 1 is YES, then what is the semantic of the value NONE?
3. What is the accurate and preferred way to reference this "dictionary" 
in another document. Is it more proper to reference 5100.3-2001(The IPP 
extension which originally documented these values) or 5105.1 the Semantic 
Model, or point directly to MediaWellKnownValues.xsd? I assume SM is 
preferred. 

Sorry for the double post. I think this is broader than just an IPP 
question but the root document is an IPP extension. 
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM STSM
Chairman - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems 
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337
----------------------------------------------