Subject: IPP> RE: PWG> Media Surface characteristics

From: "Bergman, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:48:36 -0800

Harry,
 
This appears to be a reasonable suggestion.  The only potential "catch" would be if the
presence of a coating, rather than the surface finish, affects the print characteristics.
(I am not aware of a situation that falls into this category, but I also don't have much
experience with technologies other than laser.)
 
If the coating does matter, then the MediaCoatingWKV is deficient in providing that
information, since I suspect there is more information necessary than is currently
defined to define the coating characteristics.
 
    Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Harry Lewis
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 2:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: PWG> Media Surface characteristics

In the IPP Production Print Attributes - Set 1, ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippprodprint10-20010212-5100.3.pdf 
Page 47, 3.13.10 we describe Job Template attributes which augment the IPP media definitions including "media-front-coating" and "media-back-coating". 
These are likewise reflected in the PWG Semantic Model v1.0 MediaWellKnownValues.xsd as "MediaCoatingWKV". 
        </xsd:simpleType> 
        <xsd:simpleType name="MediaCoatingWKV"> 
                <xsd:restriction base="xsd:NMTOKEN"> 
                        <xsd:maxLength value="255"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="none"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="glossy"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="high-gloss"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="semi-gloss"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="satin"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="matte"/> 
                </xsd:restriction> 
        </xsd:simpleType> 

Three questions to be considered 

1. In use, it seems what we really wanted to convey is "surface characteristics". By labeling the element "coating" and including the value "none", there is an implication that coating is necessary and it leaves NO WAY to represent surface characteristics of a NON-COATED media. For example, in paper, it is possible to achieve a high gloss via high pressure calendaring (no coating... but results in shiny surface". IS IT ACCEPTED PROPER INTERPRETATION TO USE MediaCoatingWKV to mean media surface characteristics, in general, coated or not? 
2. If the answer to 1 is YES, then what is the semantic of the value NONE? 
3. What is the accurate and preferred way to reference this "dictionary" in another document. Is it more proper to reference 5100.3-2001(The IPP extension which originally documented these values) or 5105.1 the Semantic Model, or point directly to MediaWellKnownValues.xsd? I assume SM is preferred.   

Sorry for the double post. I think this is broader than just an IPP question but the root document is an IPP extension. 
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM STSM
Chairman - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems 
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337
----------------------------------------------

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:13:21 -0700

I suggested further replies be sent to PWG reflector ONLY (not IPP). The 
topic is broader then just IPP but I wanted to capture IPP participants 
attention.

As for the topic... I think the point is that these characteristics DO 
affect printing... that is the whole point. But surface characteristics 
which affect printing can be achieved via more methods than just coating. 
I don't think we intended to write a separate list of surface 
characteristics which might be achieved by each method. So, our use of 
"coating" is colloquial. I have no problem with that. If someone were to 
interpret literally, they would be left wondering how to describe 
something like "glossy-non-coated". 
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM STSM
Chairman - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems 
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337
---------------------------------------------- 

"Bergman, Ron" <[email-masked]> 
03/28/2005 05:48 PM

To
Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS, <[email-masked]>
cc
<[email-masked]>
Subject
RE: PWG> Media Surface characteristics

Harry,
 
This appears to be a reasonable suggestion.  The only potential "catch" 
would be if the
presence of a coating, rather than the surface finish, affects the print 
characteristics.
(I am not aware of a situation that falls into this category, but I also 
don't have much
experience with technologies other than laser.)
 
If the coating does matter, then the MediaCoatingWKV is deficient in 
providing that
information, since I suspect there is more information necessary than is 
currently
defined to define the coating characteristics.
 
    Ron
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Harry Lewis
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 2:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: PWG> Media Surface characteristics

In the IPP Production Print Attributes - Set 1, 
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippprodprint10-20010212-5100.3.pdf 

Page 47, 3.13.10 we describe Job Template attributes which augment the IPP 
media definitions including "media-front-coating" and 
"media-back-coating". 
These are likewise reflected in the PWG Semantic Model v1.0 
MediaWellKnownValues.xsd as "MediaCoatingWKV". 
        </xsd:simpleType> 
        <xsd:simpleType name="MediaCoatingWKV"> 
                <xsd:restriction base="xsd:NMTOKEN"> 
                        <xsd:maxLength value="255"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="none"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="glossy"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="high-gloss"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="semi-gloss"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="satin"/> 
                        <xsd:enumeration value="matte"/> 
                </xsd:restriction> 
        </xsd:simpleType> 

1. In use, it seems what we really wanted to convey is "surface 
characteristics". By labeling the element "coating" and including the 
value "none", there is an implication that coating is necessary and it 
leaves NO WAY to represent surface characteristics of a NON-COATED media. 
For example, in paper, it is possible to achieve a high gloss via high 
pressure calendaring (no coating... but results in shiny surface". IS IT 
ACCEPTED PROPER INTERPRETATION TO USE MediaCoatingWKV to mean media 
surface characteristics, in general, coated or not? 
2. If the answer to 1 is YES, then what is the semantic of the value NONE? 

3. What is the accurate and preferred way to reference this "dictionary" 
in another document. Is it more proper to reference 5100.3-2001(The IPP 
extension which originally documented these values) or 5105.1 the Semantic 
Model, or point directly to MediaWellKnownValues.xsd? I assume SM is 
preferred.   

Sorry for the double post. I think this is broader than just an IPP 
question but the root document is an IPP extension. 
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM STSM
Chairman - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems 
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337
----------------------------------------------