Subject: IPP> New IPPv2 Docs and Agenda for Telecon

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:59:10 -0800

I have loaded two new reference documents for the IPPv2 project.  They are
at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/ippv2-info/IPP-SPECIFICATIONS.pdf   (.doc)

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/ippv2-info/IPP-COMMANDS.pdf  (.doc)

Agenda for tomorrow:

1. Identify minutes taker.

2. Discuss how we attack this problem.

3. Task assignments.

4. Next meeting.

The first meeting for this project is scheduled for Thursday Feb 14th at
1:00 PM EST (10:00 AM PST).

All interested parties are encouraged to attend.

Toll free number:  1-866-365-4406
International:  00+1+303-248-9655
Passcode:    2635888#

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 07:08:43 -0800

> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/ippv2-info/IPP-COMMANDS.pdf  (.doc)

I won't be able to participate on the call, but at first blush the
only thing I see missing is the PSX spec - does it still live, or did
I add it to CUPS for nothing? :)

-- 
______________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com

---

From: "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:41:21 -0500

Hi Michael,

HOORAY - if you have added any part of PSX spec to CUPS, then we have
a "prototype", and we can rapidly take it to PWG Last Call and then formal
vote for PWG Candidate Standard!

We have been delayed waiting for a prototype by one of the BMLinks members
in Japan (who originally requested this coverage for finishing events).

Please, can you describe what you implemented from PSX?  Did you do it
in IPP, but not yet in Printer MIB?  Of course, devices need to add support
in Printer MIB for it to be useful to CUPS.

Best Regards,
- Ira (co-editor of IPP PSX spec, w/ Craig Whittle, Sharp)

-- 
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: [email-masked]
winter:
 579 Park Place Saline, MI 48176
 734-944-0094
summer:
 PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
 906-494-2434

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:46:05 -0800

> in Printer MIB for it to be useful to CUPS.

In CUPS, it is up to the printer drivers or backends to provide the
printer-alert* attributes.  Some use SNMP lookups while others use
in-band printer commands to generate compatible data.  The scheduler
provides the current values in response to Get-Printer-Attributes and
CUPS-Get-Printers requests, and printer-alert* changes also trigger
notifications.

CUPS itself does not respond to SNMP queries and so the only tie we
have to the Printer MIB is when communicating with network printers.
We can't respond to SNMP queries since that will interfere with
existing SNMP services on a system, and in all honesty there is no
clean support for multiple printer queues in the Printer MIB...