Subject: [ippm] 1-point, 2-points IPDV

From: ADAM Yann FTRD/DAC/LAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:34:02 +0200

Hi all,

the current draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-07.txt draft defines a 2-points IPDV. This
metric is essential for Network Service Providers because they must be able
to qualify and garantee the jitter in their network, whatever the jitter can
be at the entry of their network.

But, IMHO, this metric is meaningless for applications: applications suffer
the cumulative jitter at the network point where they are implemented. Thus,
I think a 1-point IPDV could be defined for this type of meausrement.
Moreover, (new) applications like VoIP, video streaming, are very sensitive
to the jitter, packet loss and OWD. These metrics can be found in RTCP
packets but they are related to RTP streams, and they concern the
application level, which in not in the scope of the IPPM WG. In conclusion,
I would say that there is a place here to define a new metric which could be
very usefull for new services.

Maybe I'm wrong whith this issue, what do you think of this idea ?

Yann
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm