Subject: [ippm] How to measure the actual delay when signalling QoS?

From: shen jing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:40:02 +0800

Dear sir/madam:

If the question following is stupid, forgive me please.

As providing a QoS enabled service over internet,  signaling the remote
end along the
path calcultated is needed. As I know in current research, RSVP is the
possible solution.

But, the question is:  the signaling procedure only consider the
bandwidth needed, real
transmission dely and jitter is considered.  In order to get a
real-guarantee for
delay and jitter,  I think the actucal delay for signaling packets
should be brought to
the end station.

What I want to ask is: is  there any method proposed to solve this
question?
 And would you please tell me any site where  documents on this
subject can be found?

Thanks in advance.

Jame Shen

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Prasanna Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:40:16 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,
 
 Guaranteed service of Integrated service model does not control jitter.
It just controls the maximum queuing delay(Ref: RFC 2212).

>  I think the actucal delay for signaling packets
> should be brought to
> the end station.

Yes, end station has to know the maximal queuing delay.

RFC 2212 says that two error terms C and D (these error terms are
used to find maximum queuing delay)should be exported to end
stations(Refer page 2 of RFC 2212). It doesn't give a clear cut guidelines
regarding how to export C and D to end stations.

rfc 2212 is available at 

www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2212.txt

Prasanna.