Subject: [ippm] some questions on OWDP ver 05

From: "Cole, Robert G (Bob), ALASO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:42:39 -0500

IPPM OWDP Doc ver.05 notes/questions:

Stanislav,

I like the changes made to the version 05 of the draft.
I have just a few questions.

+ I do not understand the required components and the
optional components of the protocol?  

E.g., in section 2.0 on "Goals", it is stated that the encryption
and authentication is optional but this is not mentioned
in the guts of the document.

If I were to implement the OWDP without encrytion, would that
implementation be deemed 'compliant'?

+ Is the section on computing expontially distributed
values for start times complete?  If not, will it be complete
in the next revision and (as you suggested) a C-code description
would be highly desireable.

Thanks,

Bob Cole

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 20:49:19 -0500

> in the guts of the document.

You don't need to advertize any particular mode to be `compliant'.
I don't know whether support for encrypted and authenticated mode
should be required.

> implementation be deemed 'compliant'?

AES in counter mode will be used to generate pseudo-random bits
anyway.  A free AES is a few hundred lines of C.  Given this, I'd
actually make it a requirement to support all three modes.

What does everyone else think?

> + Is the section on computing expontially distributed values for
> start times complete?  If not, will it be complete in the next
> revision and (as you suggested) a C-code description would be highly
> desireable.

I don't want the completion of that section to prevent any other
changes from being released.  That said, we're working on it.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

All revolutions are bloody.  The October Revolution was bloodless,
but it was only the beginning.               -- Dmitri Volkogonov
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm