Subject: [ippm] QoS, DiffServ, RSVP, Impl.

From: "Roman Ernst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:17:08 +0100

I'm completely new to this kind of network managemnt/measurement... maybe
you can answer a few questions that drew up when reading the RFCs....

1) Won't there be any support for QoS, DiffServ, RSVP?
      => would be great for testing flows in QoS Networks...

2) What about IPv6 Flow IDs,... and how can one configure IPv6 addresses?

ad 1 + 2)
=> in my opinion the current connection parameters "src, dst, src_P,
dst_P,..." should be expanded...?!?!

3) Is there currently any test implementation available or are there any
efforts to build one?

Thanks for answering my questions and excuse me if they were already
answered somewhere else.

Roman ERNST

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:33:35 +0100 (CET)

Roman,

>       => would be great for testing flows in QoS Networks...

I think that this is partially beyond the scope of the IPPM RFC's and
partially because QoS (etc) didn't really exist when the RFC's were
written.  The RFC's describe how to measure delay (loss, rtt, ...) for
packets sent between hosts.  If the implementor wants to set QoS bits (or
whatever) in the packet, then he can do so, it won't affect the way how
one should measure delay.

> dst_P,..." should be expanded...?!?!

The text say "IP address of a host", not "IPv4 address of a host", and the
whole discussion is valid regardless whether the packet is v4 or v6.  In
fact, that is what we did when we ported our product to v6, just change
the packet formats and everything worked.

> 3) Is there currently any test implementation available or are there any

2678+ and the IPDV metrics have been implemented in (a.o.) RIPE NCC's TTM,
(www.ripe.net/test-traffic).

Henk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)