Subject: [ippm] IPPM MIB proxy trace

From: "STEPHAN Emile FTRD/DAC/LAN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:29:28 +0100

Dear all,

Following is a quick tour of the IPPM REPORTING MIB in proxy mode. It
corresponds to the demo made to the WG chairs at the end of the WG
session in Minneapolis.

The intend is to provide real MIB and IPPM material to help IPPM fellows
to make they mind on the IPPM MIB without reading the MIB spec in
detail:-)

Regards
Emile

1. abstract 

France Telecom R&D and Qosmetrix had recently integrated the
implementation of IPPM MIB developed by FranceTelecom lab in the
measurement system of Qosmetrix, Netadvisor. The IPPM MIB is implemented
as a SNMPv2 proxy on the top of this measurement system. 

Information is extracted directly from snmpwalks performed on the proxy.
The prefix 'IPPM-REPORTING-MIB::' is removed from all the statements.

2. Configuration

The first probe is located in Qosmetrix lab in Camarillo (Ca) the second
one is located in Qosmetrix office in Massy (Paris, France).

The  Netadvisor and the IPPM Proxy are located in Qosmetrix lab in
Camarillo;

The test consists of 2 types of measures:

   + One network measure is running between Camarillo and Paris. It
performs Type-P-One-way-Delay(6). Its configuration is described in
section 8;
   + A first level of aggregation is performed by the recipient probe.
It computes Type-P-One-way-Delay-Median(9) and
Type-P-One-way-Delay-Minimums(10) results and uploads them. Network
measure singletons are not uploaded.Their configurations are described
in section 9;

3. ippmSystem group 

ippmSystemTime.0 = Hex-STRING: 07 58 12 AF 34 DB 6A F8 
ippmSystemSynchronizationType.0 = INTEGER: other(0)
ippmSystemSynchronizationDesc.0 = STRING: NO SYNCHRONIZATION AVAILABLE
ON THIS SYSTEM
ippmSystemClockResolution.0 = Gauge32: 10000000 Nanoseconds
ippmSystemOperationalStatus.0 = INTEGER: up(1)

4. ippmOwners Table 

ippmOwnersOwner.1 = STRING: "ippmAdmin"
ippmOwnersGrantedMetrics.1 = STRING:
"0111111111111111111111111111111111"
ippmOwnersQuota.1 = Gauge32: 4294967295
ippmOwnersIpAddressType.1 = INTEGER: ipv6(2)
ippmOwnersIpAddress.1 = STRING: "fe80::209:5bff:fe08:d420"
ippmOwnersEmail.1 = STRING: [email-masked]
ippmOwnersSMS.1 = STRING: 1-805-445-8504
ippmOwnersStatus.1 = INTEGER: active(1)

ippmOwnersOwner.2 = STRING: "root"
ippmOwnersGrantedMetrics.2 = STRING:
"0000001011110000000000000001011000"
ippmOwnersQuota.2 = Gauge32: 2147483647
ippmOwnersIpAddressType.2 = INTEGER: ipv4(1)
ippmOwnersIpAddress.2 = STRING: "192.168.1.175"
ippmOwnersEmail.2 = STRING: [email-masked]
ippmOwnersSMS.2 = STRING: 1-805-445-8504
ippmOwnersStatus.2 = INTEGER: active(1)

5. ippmSynchronization Table 

Following are the description of the synchronization of the 2 probes:

ippmSynchronizationTime.1.1       = Hex-STRING: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

ippmSynchronizationStratum.1.1    = Gauge32: 1  
ippmSynchronizationResolution.1.1 = Gauge32: 40 Nanoseconds  

ippmSynchronizationTime.2.1       = Hex-STRING: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

ippmSynchronizationStratum.2.1    = Gauge32: 1  
ippmSynchronizationResolution.2.1 = Gauge32: 40 Nanoseconds  

6. ippmPointOfMeasure  Table 

ippmPointOfMeasureMgmtAddrType.1  = INTEGER: ipv4(1)   
ippmPointOfMeasureMgmtAddress.1   = STRING: "66.14.75.68"   
ippmPointOfMeasureTestAddrTypeP.1 = STRING: "ip"   
ippmPointOfMeasureTestAddr.1      = STRING: 66.14.75.68   
ippmPointOfMeasureMetrics.1       = STRING:
"0000001011110000000000000001011000"   

ippmPointOfMeasureMgmtAddrType.2  = INTEGER: ipv4(1)   
ippmPointOfMeasureMgmtAddress.2   = STRING: "62.161.75.221"   
ippmPointOfMeasureTestAddrTypeP.2 = STRING: "ip"   
ippmPointOfMeasureTestAddr.2      = STRING: 62.161.75.221   
ippmPointOfMeasureMetrics.2       = STRING:
"0000001011110000000000000001011000"   
 
7. Metrics Table 

# Note: Only the entries of interest are displayed.

...
ippmMetricCapabilities.6  = INTEGER: implemented(1)    
ippmMetricType.6          = INTEGER: network(0)    
ippmMetricUnit.6          = INTEGER: nanosecond(8)    
ippmMetricDescription.6   = STRING: Type-P-One-way-Delay    
...
ippmMetricCapabilities.9  = INTEGER: implemented(1)    
ippmMetricType.9          = INTEGER: aggregated(1)    
ippmMetricUnit.9          = INTEGER: nanosecond(8)    
ippmMetricDescription.9   = STRING: Type-P-One-way-Delay-Median    
...
ippmMetricCapabilities.10 = INTEGER: implemented(1)    
ippmMetricType.10         = INTEGER: aggregated(1)    
ippmMetricUnit.10         = INTEGER: nanosecond(8)    
ippmMetricDescription.10  = STRING: Type-P-One-way-Delay-Minimum    
...
ippmMetricCapabilities.27 = INTEGER: implemented(1)    
ippmMetricType.27         = INTEGER: network(0)    
ippmMetricUnit.27         = INTEGER: nanosecond(9)    
ippmMetricDescription.27  = STRING: Type-P-One-way-ipdv    
...

8. Network Measure Table

Once the scenario is started, Netadvisor creates the new network
measures in the IPPM Proxy.

# network measure root.1 Type-P-One-way-Delay(6) and
Type-P-One-way-ipdv(27)
# Note: aggregation derivated from Type-P-One-way-ipdv(27) are not
displayed in the document
#
ippmNetMeasureName."root".1              = STRING: -New Test Config
ippmNetMeasureMetrics."root".1           = STRING:
"0000001000000000000000000001000000"
#                                                         ^
^
#                                                         6
27
# metric ID
----------------------------------------------+--------------------+----
--
#
ippmNetMeasureBeginTime."root".1         = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 9C 00 00
00 00 
ippmNetMeasureCollectionRateUnit."root".1= INTEGER: minute(4)
ippmNetMeasureCollectionRate."root".1    = Gauge32: 1
ippmNetMeasureDurationUnit."root".1      = INTEGER: second(3)
ippmNetMeasureDuration."root".1          = Gauge32: 1800
ippmNetMeasureHistorySize."root".1       = Gauge32: 0
ippmNetMeasureFailureMgmtMode."root".1   = INTEGER: auto(1)
ippmNetMeasureResultsMgmt."root".1       = INTEGER: suspend(2)
ippmNetMeasureSrcTypeP."root".1          = STRING: "ip.tcp"
ippmNetMeasureSrc."root".1               = STRING: "66.14.75.68 12634"
ippmNetMeasureDstTypeP."root".1          = STRING: "ip.tcp"
ippmNetMeasureDst."root".1               = STRING: "62.161.75.221 9000"
ippmNetMeasureTxMode."root".1            = INTEGER: periodic(1)
ippmNetMeasureTxPacketRateUnit."root".1  = INTEGER: second(5)
ippmNetMeasureTxPacketRate."root".1      = Gauge32: 10 Packets
ippmNetMeasureMedOrBurstSize."root".1    = Gauge32: 0 Packets
ippmNetMeasureDevOrIntBurstSize."root".1 = Gauge32: 0 Packets
ippmNetMeasureLossTimeout."root".1       = Gauge32: 800 Milliseconds
ippmNetMeasureL3PacketSize."root".1      = Gauge32: 156 Bytes
ippmNetMeasureDataPattern."root".1       = STRING: "7"
ippmNetMeasureMap."root".1               = STRING: "Net Measure for One
Way Delay"
ippmNetMeasureTotalPktsRecv."root".1     = Counter64: 12674 Packets
ippmNetMeasureLastUpdate."root".1        = Hex-STRING: 07 58 0D 88 00 00
00 00 
ippmNetMeasureOperState."root".1         = INTEGER: stopped(2)

The duration of the measure is 1260 seconds (07580D88 - 0758089C). The
rate is 10 pkts/s. So the total packets received is closed to 12600

9. Aggregated Measure Table

Once the scenario is started, Netadvisor creates the new aggregated
measures in the IPPM Proxy.

# measure root.2  Type-P-One-way-Delay-Median(9) of the measure "root".1
#
ippmAggrMeasureName."root".2          = STRING: New Test Config
ippmAggrMeasureMetrics."root".2       = STRING:
"0000000001000000000000000000000000"
ippmAggrMeasureBeginTime."root".2     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 9C 00 00 00
00
ippmAggrMeasureAggrPeriodUnit."root".2= INTEGER: second(6)
ippmAggrMeasureAggrPeriod."root".2    = INTEGER: 10
ippmAggrMeasureDurationUnit."root".2  = INTEGER: second(6)
ippmAggrMeasureDuration."root".2      = INTEGER: 1800
ippmAggrMeasureHistorySize."root".2   = INTEGER: 190
ippmAggrMeasureStorageType."root".2   = INTEGER: nonVolatile(3)
ippmAggrMeasureResultsMgmt."root".2   = INTEGER: suspend(2)
ippmAggrMeasureHistoryOwner."root".2  = STRING: "root"
ippmAggrMeasureHistoryMetric."root".2 = INTEGER: 6
ippmAggrMeasureHistoryOwnerIndex."root".2 = INTEGER: 1
ippmAggrMeasureAdminState."root".2    = INTEGER: start(0)
ippmAggrMeasureFastReport."root".2    = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::zeroDotZero
ippmAggrMeasureMap."root".2           = STRING: Net Measure for One Way
Delay
ippmAggrMeasureLastUpdate."root".2    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 0D 88 00 00 00
00
ippmAggrMeasureOperState."root".2     = INTEGER: running(1)
ippmAggrMeasureNbPktsTreated."root".2 = INTEGER: 126
ippmAggrMeasureStatus."root".2        = INTEGER: active(1)

# measure root.3  Type-P-One-way-Delay-Minimum(10) of the measure
"root".1
#
ippmAggrMeasureName."root".3          = STRING: New Test Config
ippmAggrMeasureMetrics."root".3       = STRING:
"0000000000100000000000000000000000"
ippmAggrMeasureBeginTime."root".3     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 9C 00 00 00
00
ippmAggrMeasureAggrPeriodUnit."root".3= INTEGER: second(6)
ippmAggrMeasureAggrPeriod."root".3    = INTEGER: 10
ippmAggrMeasureDurationUnit."root".3  = INTEGER: second(6)
ippmAggrMeasureDuration."root".3      = INTEGER: 1800
ippmAggrMeasureHistorySize."root".3   = INTEGER: 190
ippmAggrMeasureStorageType."root".3   = INTEGER: nonVolatile(3)
ippmAggrMeasureResultsMgmt."root".3   = INTEGER: suspend(2)
ippmAggrMeasureHistoryOwner."root".3  = STRING: "root"
ippmAggrMeasureHistoryOwnerIndex."root".3 = INTEGER: 1
ippmAggrMeasureHistoryMetric."root".3 = INTEGER: 6
ippmAggrMeasureAdminState."root".3    = INTEGER: start(0)
ippmAggrMeasureFastReport."root".3    = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::zeroDotZero
ippmAggrMeasureMap."root".3           = STRING: Net Measure for One Way
Delay
ippmAggrMeasureLastUpdate."root".3    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 0D 88 00 00 00
00
ippmAggrMeasureOperState."root".3     = INTEGER: running(1)
ippmAggrMeasureNbPktsTreated."root".3 = INTEGER: 126
ippmAggrMeasureStatus."root".3        = INTEGER: active(1)

10. History Table

# Results for the aggregated measure named 'root.2': owd median
#
# The average delay from California to France is close  to 101 ms
#

ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.1     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 A6 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".1.9.1         = INTEGER: 101167304
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.2     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 B0 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".2.9.2         = INTEGER: 101306811
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.3     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 BA 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".2.9.3         = INTEGER: 101211175
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.4     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 C4 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".2.9.4         = INTEGER: 101080395
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.5     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 CE 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".2.9.5         = INTEGER: 100703053
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.6     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 D8 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".2.9.6         = INTEGER: 100790354
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.7     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 E2 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".2.9.7         = INTEGER: 100831317
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.8     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 EC 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".2.9.8         = INTEGER: 101174398
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".2.9.9     = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 F6 00 00 00
00
ippmHistoryValue."root".2.9.9         = INTEGER: 100669560
...

# Results for the aggregated measure named 'root.3': owd minimum
#
# The minimum delay from California to France is 98 ms
#
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.1    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 A6 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.1        = INTEGER: 98592163
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.2    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 B0 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.2        = INTEGER: 98607014
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.3    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 BA 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.3        = INTEGER: 98937947
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.4    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 C4 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.4        = INTEGER: 98689982
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.5    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 CE 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.5        = INTEGER: 98512898
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.6    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 D8 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.6        = INTEGER: 98537068
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.7    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 E2 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.7        = INTEGER: 98901570
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.8    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 EC 00 00 00
00 
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.8        = INTEGER: 99173706
ippmHistoryTimestamp."root".3.10.9    = Hex-STRING: 07 58 08 F6 00 00 00
00
ippmHistoryValue."root".3.10.9        = INTEGER: 98840372
...