Subject: [ippm] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6038 (6410)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 00:17:02 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6038,
"Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) Reflect Octets and Symmetrical Size Features".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6410

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Nikolai Malykh <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.2.1

Original Text
-------------
   Section 4.2.1 of [RFC5357] recommends a padding truncation process
   for use in TWAMP.  When using that process in conjunction with the
   Reflect Octets mode, the Session-Reflector MUST reflect the
   designated octets from the Session-Sender's test packet in the Packet
   Padding (from Session-Sender) field, and MAY re-use additional Packet
   Padding from the Session-Sender.  The Session-Reflector MUST truncate
   the padding such that the highest number octets are discarded, and
   the test packet length equals the Session-Sender's packet length.
   When using the recommended truncation process, the Session-Reflector
   MUST truncate exactly 27 octets of padding in Unauthenticated mode,
   and exactly 56 octets in Authenticated and Encrypted modes.

Corrected Text
--------------
   Section 4.2.1 of [RFC5357] recommends a padding truncation process
   for use in TWAMP.  When using that process in conjunction with the
   Reflect Octets mode, the Session-Reflector MUST reflect the
   designated octets from the Session-Sender's test packet in the Packet
   Padding (from Session-Sender) field, and MAY re-use additional Packet
   Padding from the Session-Sender.  The Session-Reflector MUST truncate
   the padding such that the highest number octets are discarded, and
   the test packet length equals the Session-Sender's packet length.
   When using the recommended truncation process, the Session-Reflector
   MUST truncate exactly 27 octets of padding in Unauthenticated mode,
   and exactly 64 octets in Authenticated and Encrypted modes.

Notes
-----
Invalid required padding size (56 instead of 64) for modes with authentication and encryption.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6038 (draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-reflect-octets-09)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) Reflect Octets and Symmetrical Size Features
Publication Date    : October 2010
Author(s)           : A. Morton, L. Ciavattone
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : IP Performance Measurement
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG