Subject: draft-ietf-ipr-technology-rights-01.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:29:42 +0100

I've somewhat lost track of whether this draft is in Last Call or
not, but I'd like to suggest that we hum loudly to get it
into the IESG's hands as soon as possible. Sections 3(C) and 3.1
do clarify our current policy, and I think we need to get
them on the books ASAP.

   Brian
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:59:50 -0500

>do clarify our current policy, and I think we need to get

It is not yet in last call.  Apart from issues that were raised in 
Atlanta, Section 6 was changed in response to the RAMBUS case to make 
disclosure requirements even more explicit.

I would like people to discuss this draft on the mailing list now; if 
there's rough consensus here and in San Francisco, we can submit it to 
the IESG.  (Procedural note:  2418 explicitly permits this ordering, of 
the mailing list consensus coming before the face-to-face consensus.)

Please note that the discussion of this document is *only* about its 
suitability and correctness in summarizing our current policy.  
Demurrers on the grounds that it doesn't mandate RF will *not* be taken 
into account in assessing consensus.  That issue will be heard -- 
that's a promise -- but please, not in the context of this document.  
Also note that most of this document deals with disclosure 
requirements, which are going to be needed in any event.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

---

From: Russell Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:12:29 -0500

> do clarify our current policy, and I think we need to get

Agreed.  Apart from the fact that it continues to specify RAND (whine,
whine), that draft looks excellent.

-- 
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | A government does enough
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | wrong to offset what it
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | does right.  Better that
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | it should do less.
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg