Subject: RFC2026 and the terms fair and open

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:05:18 -0700

ftp://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-glassey-fairopen2026-00.txt.

My "fair and open" term analysis for RFC2026 is published. I intend to take
this through RFC status so any response commentary no matter from who would
be appreciated.

Todd

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:45:41 -0400

I believe that the definitions in this document, while well intentioned, do 
not match the usage in the IETF and in fact the definitions as written 
would represent a major change in the ethos and practices of the IETF.
As such, I would not like to see these definitions published in the 
archival RFC series.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:53:17 -0700

Joel
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
To: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: RFC2026 and the terms fair and open

> would represent a major change in the ethos and practices of the IETF.

How so - Isnt the intent of the words in RFC2026 to insure:

    1)    That all participants are given an equal opportunity to
participate in teh IETF's Standards Process?

    2)    To insure that the ethical processing of initiatives is more
important than any one or group of initiative such that its sets a grounding
for all initiatives?

    3)    That all technologies are given an equal chance within the IETF,
no matter how threatening they are to existing standards or efforts underway
inside the IETF?

So what did I miss?

> As such, I would not like to see these definitions published in the

I can see that Joel, but I wonder why you would worry about the terms that
define to totality of the operations being enforced. Becuase there is
NOTHING in any RFC's currently published that deals with enforcing that the
IETF is fair and open.