Subject: -technology and 3rd party disclosures

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:44:11 -0400 (EDT)

thomas asks:
> >    If a person has information about IPR that may Cover IETF
> >    Contributions, and such IPR does not meet the conditions of Section
> >    6.6 as to such person, such person is encouraged to notify the IETF
> >    by sending an email message to [email-masked].  Such a notice
> >    should be sent as soon as reasonably possible after the person
> >    realizes the connection.
> 
> Don't understand what this is trying to say. Is this saying that if I
> know about (relevant) IPR, but I'm not the IPR holder (maybe I work
> for some other company), I do not have to disclose existance?

that is what it is trying to say - if its not your IPR you do not
have to dislose it (you might know about it under NDA for example) but
we would like you to disclose

> The above to me reads like there is IPR, someone knows about it, but
> they don't have to disclose.

that is correct if it is not their (or their company's)IPR 

> Maybe  my confusion stems from the "and such IPR does not meet the
> conditions..." Its not just a question of the IPR meeting the
> condition, it's whether the person who knows of the IPR is a
> participant. Is the above trying to encourage non-participants to
> disclose things they know about?

no - it is trying to get people who know about IPR that is not their 
own to tell us about the IPR  but not making such a disclosure 
required in order to participate (like is the case if you see your
IPR in someone else's contribution)

if the wording is not clear please suggest text

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg