Subject: The classes of IETF users... a user and use model analysis

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:23:33 -0800

---------- Soapbox alert - Sorry!--------------

One of the things that I think would help in determining whether the IETF's
licensing models were appropriate would be in modeling the users of IETF
wares. To accomplish that I want to reaffirm that the IETF's models
traditionally have been specific to the creation of what we call Internet
Standards and now it seems that some IETF/IESG members want to expand that
to allow re-publication for other purposes, that do not necessarily benefit
the IETF in any way shape or form... Also realize that in this as well that
Government's generally dont retain copyrights, so to that end I have
specifically left them out of this user model analysis.

-------------------
That said - my understanding of the types of proposed IETF process and
standard's users are:
-------------------

1) The first class of users are those participating within the IETF's
Standards Framework and these are people who would be working with the
author of a RFC and a Draft correct? - so whatever work was done there would
be reflected in the Author's updates. Also there is the mailing list's where
excerpts of those documents would be passed back and forth, but this use
model is very controllable within the IETF's publication processes and the
WG's that implement the Vetting Pools for the IETF. What isnt addressed here
is a technological release to allow for the "second port" to be done by one
of the players in the Vetting Pool this initiative is assigned to but I
suppose one could claim that this release was implicit - still it probably
should be done on paper or ePaper as well.

2) The next class of users are those participating outside the IETF's
standard's with the IETF's process by commenting on, or in providing the
Initiative's "Second Port" instance; so to comment to the IETF on its
standards process the simple excerpts licensing would suffice, and for those
implementing the second port, they would need a derivative release of some
kind... This user Model would include all other Standards Org's who were
'commenting on an RFC' as part of that solicitation.

Likewise for those that implemented the Second Port under this class of
User's Right's Proviso's, the ongoing rights to that Second Port for its use
outside the Standards Process would probably have to be addressed as well.

3) The third class of user is someone who just wants to reprint the IETF's
documents in total or as excerpts outside of the Standards Process , and for
their own purposes. This is the Sun and Debian user per se ... I guess this
might be Larry Rosen's OpenSource Use Model as well.

4) The fourth class of IETF user is someone specifically implementing an
IETF protocol from an IETF Draft as a real-world thing, whether in hardware
or software alone. This user has absolutely nothing to do with the Standards
Process since that generally was handled by the Ports produced by the
Sponsor and the other  Class 2 Party involved.

-------------------
So to meet these needs what rights have to be controlled? - Let me start the
list with:
-------------------

o- For Class one, the User is the submitter, i.e. the Author, and so they
have no issues between them or the IETF on their republishing or using their
own work within the IETF's Standards Process per the terms of the
submission. The simple unlimited copyright republication for use in an IETF
Standards Process as defined in RFC2026 does this with no problem.

o- For Class two, like the submitter, they are allowed to reprint whatever
excerpts in the WG Lists for the purpose of vetting or advancing the
standards initiative underway. They also are allowed to reprint the work in
whole for submission within the IETF itself. An implicit Derivative Use
License would be factored in here as well to cover the use rights in the
production of the second port's instance. This includes other Standards
Processes or Industry/Government Entities republishing these for internal
commentary as well even though that last use is outside of the IETF's
Standards Process for which the documents were submitted in the first place.

o- For Class three, they are allowed to reprint portions or whole IETF
documents as long as they are properly controlled with the IETF's Trademark
affixed per what I will describe as TM use rules (An IETF I-D I intend to
submit a prototype for but would prefer that this group as a whole owned) -
This same class of uses includes a Derivative Right in Print ONLY as well,
but that right is constrained that it must reference that it is a Derivative
of an IETF Standard and not the Standard or proposed Standard itself. I
would propose a Copyright Notice could handle this as well.

o- For Class four, we need to think this one through because these are the
rights the Trust is going to need if it is going to sublicense any IP's from
the IETF itself for use or derivative use by 3rd parties outside of the
standards process commercially. This set of rights has interesting issues
with it as well as far as ongoing value and compensatory use etc etc.

Any commentary?

Todd

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg