Subject: RE: Comments to WG meeting

From: "Contreras, Jorge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:03:28 -0400

> If I understand Jorge correctly, in his response quoted by Elwyn
> recently, RFC 3978 already give everyone this permission too, for
> code, but due to its unclear wording, at least I have not been reading
> it that way.

Here is the right granted for code extracts that's currently in RFC 3978
at 3.3.a(E):

		to extract, copy, publish, display, distribute, modify and
          incorporate into other works, for any purpose (and not limited
          to use within the IETF Standards Process) any executable code
          or code fragments that are included in any IETF Document (such
          as MIB and PIB modules), subject to the requirements of
          Section 5

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "Simon Josefsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:36:27 +0200 (CEST)

>           as MIB and PIB modules), subject to the requirements of

Right, although the interesting aspect is whether the rights are granted
to third parties or only to the IETF and the ISOC.  Your statement, as
quoted by Brian/Elwyn, implies that you regard the '(and not limited to
use ...)' parenthesis to mean that third parties are granted those rights.

The leading text in 3.3.a says that the rights in (A)-(E) are granted to
the IETF and ISOC, it doesn't say anything about third parties.

I think we need to establish (1) whether RFC 3978 give third parties the
above rights, and more importantly, (2) what the IETF's intentions are in
this area.

/Simon