Subject: sometimes hiding things from a standards body hurts

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 08:51:12 -0400 (EDT)

from today's WSJ on-line

Judge Rules Against Qualcomm
In Patent Fight With Broadcom
By KEVIN KINGSBURY
August 7, 2007 8:37 a.m.

A federal judge ruled that two Qualcomm Inc. patents related to video
transmission technology can't be enforced because the company
deliberately concealed the patents from a standards-setting group.

The judge, which charged Qualcomm engaged in "aggravated litigation
abuse," ruled Monday that Qualcomm waived its rights to enforce the
patents, related to the H.264 video compression standard used in some
high definition products, because of its conduct. 

The court also decided Qualcomm committed misconduct by failing to
produce thousands of documents related to the case until after the
January trial concluded. In addition, the firm was ordered to pay the
legal fees of Broadcom Corp., which was the defendant in the case.

Qualcomm sued in October 2005, alleging its rival violated video
transmission patents. A jury found Broadcom didn't violate the patents
and that Qualcomm misled the standard setting body, called the Joint
Video Team.

...

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg