Subject: in re "Cisco Sued over Blogger's Posts"

From: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:19:22 -0800

So Harald...

http://gigaom.com/2008/03/24/cisco-sued-because-of-employee-blogging/

I brought this up - that this WOULD happen and well - now its in the Courts. 
You are a smart guy, you figure out the impact of this on individuals and 
their sponsor's here in the IETF.

Have a great weekend folks!

Todd Glassey

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "Endre Jarraux Walls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:37:30 -0400

After reading the article my take is this - the employee will likely be held
liable for defamation if his words were as acerbic and derisive as the
lawsuit alleges; but I don't see how they'll be able to hold Cisco liable
for an employee's blog.

The outcome of the case would set legal precedence, obviously. The net
effect on the IETF would probably be best discussed after/if that precedence
is set. (I would think anything else is jumping the gun.) Does anyone have
any more recent info about the case?

How the court could come up with anything that makes Cisco directly liable
for damages is beyond me. There's a difference between an employee's blog on
the internet, and content actually published on the Cisco site, or even a
Cisco-led blog or forum. In the case of the latter, a simple "views and
opinions expressed" type of disclaimer would protect Cisco from liability
and put it all back on the creator of the content. (But please tell me if
I'm wrong about that.)

Endre Jarraux Walls

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
TS Glassey
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 11:19 AM
To: [email-masked]; Contreras, Jorge
Subject: in re "Cisco Sued over Blogger's Posts"

So Harald...

Todd Glassey