Subject: The IPR filing process needs PRIORITY

From: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:25:01 -0800

The IPR filing Process needs to maintain priority of those filing instances, 
and in doing so track which Controlling Contract Document's actually pertain 
to that filing. The reasoning is simply that the IETF doesn't get to 
unilaterally restate contractual terms for IP created inside it to meet the 
requirement's of BCP78 and 79.

Any works filed previously are constrained by the contractual terms they 
were filed under, and that is it...

What this means is that IPR filings need to respect the PRIORITY DATE they 
were filed under meaning that those dates establish a complete set of the 
contractual status of the submissions and their respondent works. It also 
means that this information needs to be managed and disclosed as part of the 
IPR notification process.

Failing to do this may in fact invalidate many other aspects of the IPR 
protection process, making the IETF and IESG itself liable for damages no 
matter what it says otherwise.

Also - as to the Wizard of Oz Syndrome, the guy behind the curtain not only 
needs to be questioned - he needs to go to Court a few times before he tells 
us (and we believe him) that 'we should ignore him and pay attention to the 
Great and Mighty Oz'...

---
Personal Disclaimers Apply

TS Glassey 

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg