Subject: somewhat orthogonal post - Question about Internet Services and SLA's - and the IETF's blanket license.

From: "TS Glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:41:35 -0800

My apologies - this is also somewhat orthogonal but its interesting how the 
Technology Folks figured out how to violate the contract the IETF sets up 
for the use of the Registrar's DNS services use model of a fail-over for 
spelling errors of not-found lookups.

I was reviewing a SLA from one of the commercial providers and it suddenly 
hit me that neither the Registrar's or the IETF or anyone in the SLA's they 
executed agreed to 'that if a port-80 client does a lookup that the DNS 
service will be able to provide another answer if the address isnt found - 
or for that matter to funnel all requests through a proxy which displays 
first the proxy-sites info including sales info prior to then going to the 
selected page. Or in creating a framed-referrer harness for the lookups 
done...

The point is that the end-user has no agreement with the DNS Registrar's and 
there is nothing in the NTIA agreement that would allow the Registrar's to 
do this *** without *** formally running this service change through the 
IETF - where it most likely would be promptly shot-down by the management 
IMHO.  The problem is that the IETF specifically set it up to allow this 
abuse.

The problem the IETF faces is that it appears arguable that the SLA and 
license from both the ISC for the use of BIND and the IETF for its ANY and 
ALL uses, are specifically the two responsible parties for the fact that 
when you mistype a domain name that you wind up at Joe's Garage and are 
offered other services than what you tried to look up.

You folks talk about protecting the Internet but the license the IETF issues 
this under itself is the issue and that means this group is involved.

---
Personal Disclaimers Apply

TS Glassey 

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg