Subject: RE: AES & IPsec questions

From: "Jesse Alpert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:42:05 +0200

Hi Alex,

As far as our product goes, here are some answers:

> 1. Are these proprietary extensions or based on one of the AES drafts?

Based on the drafts.

> 2. Are they supported by proprietary or draft extensions to IKE?

The transform IDs and algorithm number are based on the drafts
(assigned by IANA).

> 3. What performance has actually been achieved in practice, in software,
on
>      a Intel PC?  (It would be helpful to specify the GHz of the CPU in
> your answer.)

710Mbps for AES-128. These results were achieved on a Dual 2.2 GHz Xeon
Linux gateway.

Hope this answers your questions,

Jesse

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Alex Alten
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 8:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: AES & IPsec questions

Some big vendors have incorporated AES into their IPsec VPN offerings.
I have some questions about these that I hope someone on this list can
answer.

1. Are these proprietary extensions or based on one of the AES drafts?
2. Are they supported by proprietary or draft extensions to IKE?
3. What performance has actually been achieved in practice, in software, on
     a Intel PC?  (It would be helpful to specify the GHz of the CPU in
your answer.)

I'm particularly interested in Cisco's implementation, however info about
other
vendors or Linux open source is also welcome.

Thanks in advance,

- Alex

--

Alex Alten
[email-masked]

---

From: Alex Alten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:57:21 -0800

Thank you Jesse and Joern for your replies.  - Alex

--

Alex Alten
[email-masked]