Subject: draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:09:38 -0500

I've just sent a new draft: draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-06.txt to the Internet
Drafts Editor with a copy to Paul Hoffman in hopes he will post it more
quickly.

The major change here is to revert the negotiation of cryptographic suites
back to ala carte negotiation as agreed at the last meeting. I have not yet
incorporated all the comments I got on -05, and none of the changes
proposed recently. But I wanted to get people to review the ala carte
negotiation before we went to last call. I made some arbitrary decisions,
like leaving IPcomp and Tunnel Mode as separate and independent
negotiations but including Extended Sequence Numbers in the negotiation.
Please read and express opinions.

I have incorporated some of the -05 comments where I thought they would be
noncontroversial. People who submitted them SHOULD look at the new draft
and see whether I addressed their concerns adequately. I will continue to
go through those comments, but it wouldn't hurt if people whose comments
are not yet addressed forward a copy of them to me to make sure I don't
miss them.

To get stability, we need to raise the bar on changes. I don't plan to make
any more bits on the wire changes unless something there is clearly wrong
or until a proposal is sent to the list and there is either unanimous
agreement or Ted and Barbara declare consensus. With the next draft -
intended to be last call - I'll apply that standard to editorial changes as
well.

Are we there yet?

          --Charlie