Subject: temp-draft-lebovitz-ipsec-scalable-ikev2cp-00.txt [WAS: Configuration portion of OPEN ISSUES...]

From: "Darren Dukes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:03:54 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gregory Lebovitz [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 12:38 PM
<SNIP>
>
> Or maybe:
>  * Keep configuration payload, and show (possibly in Appendix or another
> document) how it works with various backend config servers, i.e. DHCP,
> RADIUS, LDAP.
>
> BTW, Darren Dukes and I are working right now on some text for this. Stay
> tuned.

We've spent the last several days in a bit of a mad dash to get this
description of Configuration Payloads back ended by DHCPv4 and RADIUS
fleshed out and to the list while the configuration discussion still has
legs.  The descriptions of how CP can work with backend config servers is
about 90% complete and will be cleaned up and more completely fleshed out
over the next week.  Any suggestions, comments, questions, or answers to
questions in the draft can be sent directly to the authors or to the ipsec
list.

Since we missed the cutoff date for new drafts Paul Hoffman/VPNC has
temporarily hosted the draft.  You can get it here:
<http://www.vpnc.org/temp-draft-lebovitz-ipsec-scalable-ikev2cp-00.txt>

There are many stray extended ASCII characters that made their way into this
revision, they'll be scrubbed out when the next revision is posted.

Darren Dukes and Gregory Lebovitz

---

From: "Yoav Nir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:08:44 +0200

Hi Darren and Gregory

From your draft:

"The htype MUST be set to 31 so the DHCP server can distinguish..."

Your draft mandates the use of htype 31 when contacting a DHCP server.  This
would work if all DHCP servers in the world supported the IPsec tunnel
option.  In fact many don't.  I suggest that the MUST in the above sentence
be changed to SHOULD, and that an option be added for gateways to act as
DHCP relay agents.

Yoav

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Darren Dukes
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 8:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: temp-draft-lebovitz-ipsec-scalable-ikev2cp-00.txt [WAS:
Configuration portion of OPEN ISSUES...]

<SNIP>

---

From: "Darren Dukes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:44:45 -0500

MUST to SHOULD - Done

"Act as a relay agent", does this mean
1 - an RFC3456 relay (snooping yiaddr, inject packets into ipsec flows)
2 - a relay that provides is used by the DHCP clients on the IRAS which I
mention in the draft as a todo item?

I'm guessing #2, which I'm writing the text for now.

Thanks.
  Darren

> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Yoav Nir
> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 4:09 AM
> Subject: RE: temp-draft-lebovitz-ipsec-scalable-ikev2cp-00.txt [WAS:

---

From: "Darren Dukes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:44:45 -0500

MUST to SHOULD - Done

Thanks.
  Darren