Subject: AES & IPsec questions

From: Alex Alten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:24:02 -0800

Some big vendors have incorporated AES into their IPsec VPN offerings.
I have some questions about these that I hope someone on this list can answer.

1. Are these proprietary extensions or based on one of the AES drafts?
2. Are they supported by proprietary or draft extensions to IKE?
3. What performance has actually been achieved in practice, in software, on
     a Intel PC?  (It would be helpful to specify the GHz of the CPU in 
your answer.)

I'm particularly interested in Cisco's implementation, however info about other
vendors or Linux open source is also welcome.

Thanks in advance,

- Alex

--

Alex Alten
[email-masked]

---

From: Joern Sierwald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:57:26 +0100

>1. Are these proprietary extensions or based on one of the AES drafts?

drafts.

>2. Are they supported by proprietary or draft extensions to IKE?

Well, the algorithm numbers in IKE for AES are not draft, but really 
official, I believe.

>     a Intel PC?  (It would be helpful to specify the GHz of the CPU in 

70mbps/Ghz for ESP tunnel with md5, which is just a bit better than CAST, our
previously fastest algorithm.

>vendors or Linux open source is also welcome.

J–rn Sierwald