Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-monitor-mib-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:21:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Key Exchange (IKE) Monitoring MIB
	Author(s)	: P. Hoffman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-monitor-mib-04.txt
	Pages		: 75
	Date		: 2003-4-15
	
This document defines monitoring and status MIBs for use when the
(Internet Key Exchange) IKE protocol [IKE] is used to create IPsec
security associations (SAs). As such, the MIBs provide the linkage
between IKE (phase 1) SAs and the IPsec (phase 2) SAs created by
those SAs.
It does not define MIBs that may be used for configuring IPsec
implementations or for providing low-level diagnostic or debugging
information. It assumes no specific use of IPsec SAs, except that
they were created using IKE. Further, it does not provide policy
information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-monitor-mib-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-monitor-mib-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-monitor-mib-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:46:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
> Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the IP
> Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.
> 

I noticed several formatting problems in this document when
comparing it to the previous version.  Specifically, it seems
that in a lot of the places where the old page headers and
footers were removed the adjacent lines got merged together.
For example:

!    1 IKE SA.
!
!
! Jenkins & Shriver                                              [Page 11]
! ^L
! Internet Draft            IKE Monitoring MIB             October 3, 2001
!
!
!    This table augments the phase 1 security associations table (but
!    again, not using the AUGMENTS clause of SNMP).
--- 474,475 ----
!    1 IKE SA.   This table augments the phase 1 security associations table
!    (but again, not using the AUGMENTS clause of SNMP).

and:

!         MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
!
!
! Jenkins & Shriver                                              [Page 20]
! ^L
! Internet Draft            IKE Monitoring MIB             October 3, 2001
!
!
!         STATUS      current
--- 890 ----
!         MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible        STATUS      current

There was a lot of stuff like the last example.  I would suggest that
this probably needs to be fixed before submission to a MIB reviewer,
and certainly before publication.  The other MIB module drafts didn't
seem to suffer from this problem.

Some other comments apply equally to this draft and the companion
documents draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-di-mon-mib-05.txt and
draft-ietf-ipsec-monitor-mib-06.txt:

- The MIB boilerplate and SNMP-related references are out of date.
See http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-boilerplate.html for current stuff.

- The Security Considerations section should probably be brought into
line with http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-security.html (the basic content
is probably OK but some of the "boilerplate" stuff is out of date)

- Please import mib-2 from SNMPv2-SMI and not RFC1213-MIB.

- MIB module revision clauses are only supposed to document
versions that are published as RFCs.  See section 4.5 of
<draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-01.txt> (in fact doing
a general review to see if these MIB modules conform to those
guidelines can save you and the MIB reviewer a lot of time).

- It seems a little odd to me that the documents which define the
protocols that are being instrumented by these MIB modules are
listed as non-normative references.  I would think that a MIB
module implementor would need to be familiar with those documents
in order to correctly implement the managed objects.  If that's
true, then they should be normative references.

//cmh