Subject: RE: Crypto algorithms for IKEv2

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:38:42 -0700

At the RSA crypto panel Bruce told folk to use AES. better we all use the
same thing.

At this point I would rather we start deprecating algorithms rather than add
more.

I would especially like to get rid of RC4, including a stream cipher in a
list of block ciphers is real bad news, especially when the traditional
default has been a block cipher. There are lots of unexpected problems that
occur with stream ciphers which is why lots of folk avoid them in designs.

		Phill

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:10:03 -0400

>>>>> "Phillip" == Phillip Hallam-Baker <Hallam-Baker> writes:

 Phillip> At the RSA crypto panel Bruce told folk to use AES. better
 Phillip> we all use the same thing.

 Phillip> At this point I would rather we start deprecating algorithms
 Phillip> rather than add more.

 Phillip> I would especially like to get rid of RC4, including a
 Phillip> stream cipher in a list of block ciphers is real bad news,
 Phillip> especially when the traditional default has been a block
 Phillip> cipher. There are lots of unexpected problems that occur
 Phillip> with stream ciphers which is why lots of folk avoid them in
 Phillip> designs.

Considering that IPsec doesn't work with stream ciphers, that would
seem to be a very good idea.

     paul

---

From: [email-masked] (David Wagner)
Date: 29 Apr 2003 17:04:11 GMT

>At this point I would rather we start deprecating algorithms rather than add

I agree.

>occur with stream ciphers which is why lots of folk avoid them in designs.

This seems like a very compelling argument.